Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Site browsing problem. Help?!

+4
Billy M. Rhodes
JimLewis
Levi
Poink88
8 posters

Go down

Site browsing problem.  Help?! Empty Site browsing problem. Help?!

Post  Poink88 Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:07 pm

For months now, I hardly see any site hosted pics when I visit this site from certain areas. (NOTE: From home I don't have any problems.)

Recently, I noticed that I can see some site hosted pictures but not all and not always the same. Say, in a post with 5 pics...I might see none, 1, or 2 but not all. If I refresh...I might see another set or other combination of pics.

I am running an older PC on Windows XP professional 2002 and browsing using the latest Mozilla Firefox. CPU and RAM are more than capable.

Anyone having same problem or know what I should check? This baffles me. Thank you.
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Site browsing problem.  Help?! Empty Re: Site browsing problem. Help?!

Post  Levi Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:14 pm

I also have this sort of thing happen all of the time. I thought it was because I am living in China and the internet can barely be called the internet here with all the government restrictions. You never know what sites will work from one day to the next. I too would like to know what could be done to fix this. I have read some recent posts that I really want to see the pictures that go with them.
Levi
Levi

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:25 pm

Well, we can't do anything about China's problems, but when I had an odd problem lately, they suggested I clear my cache periodically. That may be especially important with clunky old XP. And I wonder if you shouldn't, perhaps, run an older browser with an older Op Sys?

Also, you need to be certain that your browser is set to allow Java script.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:33 pm

JimLewis wrote:Well, we can't do anything about China's problems, but when I had an odd problem lately, they suggested I clear my cache periodically. That may be especially important with clunky old XP. And I wonder if you shouldn't, perhaps, run an older browser with an older Op Sys?

Also, you need to be certain that your browser is set to allow Java script.
Jim,

I run CCleaner regularly and I do allow Java script. It is only w/ forum hosted pics I am having problems with.
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:03 pm

Do you suppose it could be a memory problem?
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:41 pm

JimLewis wrote:Do you suppose it could be a memory problem?
Nope.

Like your post...I saw it in the other forum but not here...so my comment here is "blind" and on good faith. Wink
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:53 pm

I hardly see any site hosted pics when I visit this site from certain areas.

Have you tried to analyze where these "certain areas" are? I assume, since you're moving around, it's a laptop.

Odd things happen in Texas. Are you trying it from near a certain ex-president's ranch? Secret Service probably has it backed out.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:43 pm

Could be a problem with you service provider. You get what you pay for. If you are using a free service then you are getting what you pay for. Things like gmail, hotmail, etc.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:56 am

Billy M. Rhodes wrote:Could be a problem with you service provider. You get what you pay for. If you are using a free service then you are getting what you pay for. Things like gmail, hotmail, etc.

hi Billy - I certainly agree with that, and I'd say very outdated software like xp are not ideal for modern day browsing. speeds have increased massively, the information travels fast and needs to be fully captured equally fast. It sounds like certain files are getting missed by poinks computer because the threads come through with all pictures for the vast majority of us, - its either the above sp issue, the outdated operating system or the processor that cant keep up.

minimising the processes that are running in the background can make huge improvements when going online, but once your computer cant do what you expect of it perfectly you are been subtley told you need to upgrade soon

cheers Marcus
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  Levi Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:47 pm

well, i'm fairly tech savvy and up to date, and if its not a problem that many of you are facing, then i'm just going to chalk it up the internet in china. thanks.
Levi
Levi

Back to top Go down

Post  coh Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:16 pm

To follow-up on the comment from Marcus...I'm using an 8+ year old laptop running xp...only 512 MB memory (ouch!). Things have become slow and I need an upgrade...but I never have problems loading the photos on this site.
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:30 pm

As I wrote earlier, it is older but more than capable. It is dual core w/ 2 gig ram. Since it is a company computer...I am assuming it is blocked but what mystifies me (if it is) is why are some pictures displaying at random? Anyway, no biggie.

Thanks guys!
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:41 pm

I must confess that until I got my new superlaptop for Xmas I too had been running an old slow XP machine. It was slow but I seldom had issues with pics not showing.

Curious.

As someone said of my old computer - have you checked that the pilot light is still lit? Laughing

fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  sulrich Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:54 am

Hi,

JimLewis wrote:And I wonder if you shouldn't, perhaps, run an older browser with an older Op Sys?
FWIW, I think that would be a very bad idea since most older browsers have serious security issues - firefox to a lesser degree than IE, but still (see http://www.mozilla.org/security/known-vulnerabilities/). in my family there's also an older laptop with XP, but we never had any problems with running the newest versions of firefox on it.

It very much sounds like a site blocking issue with the provider or perhaps a proxy, since you say it's the company laptop.
So check the proxy settings (Preferences -> Advanced -> Network tab, Connection -> Settings).

The images are served by www.servimg.com, and that site has a range of virtual hosts named e.g.
https://i.servimg.com
https://i.servimg.com
so that when an image is fetched from the site, the request is redirected to one of these hosts. Perhaps a certain range (but not all of these) are blocked by the proxy; that would explain why only some of the pictures appear, and when reloading it's a random, different set.

To find out which hosts are affected, you could have a look at the image properties (in firefox, right-click on image and select "image properties") and check from which server they come.

Best regards,
Stefan
sulrich
sulrich

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down