Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ponderosa Pines... can they really make good bonsai?

+15
coh
xuan le
Poink88
Walter Pall
JimLewis
Fore
peter keane
Rob Kempinski
bonsaisr
crust
mike page
drgonzo
marcus watts
LSBonsai
jgeanangel
19 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Ponderosa Pines... can they really make good bonsai? - Page 2 Empty Re: Ponderosa Pines... can they really make good bonsai?

Post  Fore Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:42 pm

That's a nice one for sure, but not nearly in the same class as Walter's health wise. Also doesn't look like they evened out the growth on the pine very well....the top is pretty dense, but the l. lower branch is lame in comparison. But what a trunk!
Fore
Fore

Back to top Go down

Ponderosa Pines... can they really make good bonsai? - Page 2 Empty Re: Ponderosa Pines... can they really make good bonsai?

Post  coh Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:47 pm

Is that the "Dan Robinson" ponderosa - the one he called "Jackie Gleason Dancing" or something like that?
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Ponderosa Pines... can they really make good bonsai? - Page 2 Empty Ponderosa Pine

Post  bonsaisr Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:10 pm

xuan le wrote:Are you talking about this tree Iris?
Not sure. It doesn't look familiar. I haven't been there in almost 7 years. However, the big pruning scar indicates it may have changed dramatically since I was there.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  Walter Pall Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:46 pm

This is Dan's ponderosa as far as I remember it.
Walter Pall
Walter Pall

Back to top Go down

Post  RKatzin Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:53 am

Just wanted to say thank you to Walter for the excellent write up on a truely magnificent tree, I know several old timers personal and I have several growing, so thank you very much Walter!
RKatzin
RKatzin

Back to top Go down

Post  Fore Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:19 pm

peter keane wrote:I love ponderosa pine trunks, but, not the foliage. too long and airy for me. I've grafted scots and japanese red pine to it with good success. I've not seen my scots shoots slow down in vigor as a result of grafting. the shoots are budding like they were on their own rootstock. I've tried mugo scions to one ponderosa. The mugos didn't survive. I'm certain that it was a matter of how I prepared the scion wood, rather than incompatibility of the two types. I'm going to be trying that one again in march of this year.

Peter, any updates on your grafting results?
Fore
Fore

Back to top Go down

Ponderosa Pines... can they really make good bonsai? - Page 2 Empty Ponderosa as Bonsai

Post  Potawatomi13 Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:23 am

My personal short answer John is a resounding YES.
Consider a couple of points with me please.
Do they grow as natural bonsai in nature? Yes.
Before the current "formalized" bonsai era larger leaves on some trees were not considered an unacceptable fault as they grew that way naturally on stunted natural trees. Look for example at the Anson Burlingame Daimyo Oak in the Oakland,CA area. You can find it online. It's a beautiful and old tree. I have a small Daimyo that I'll be developing over time. I don't mind the larger leaves/needles as long as the overall tree looks right to me.
I personally have 2 collected Ponderosas that need development but that will be good trees in time.
As for ramification you don't need quite as much with these as the longer needles take up space that extra branching would fill on a short needled tree. There still needs to be space for light to get to all the branches.

All that being said it still is a matter of personal esthetics and if they don't really "grab" you and fire your imagination maybe they just aren't the right trees for you after all. And that's just fine.

Potawatomi13

Back to top Go down

Post  Walter Pall Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:23 pm

Pick your favorite.

Ponderosa Pines... can they really make good bonsai? - Page 2 R2c_2510
Ponderosa Pines... can they really make good bonsai? - Page 2 R2c_2512
Ponderosa Pines... can they really make good bonsai? - Page 2 R2c_2513
Ponderosa Pines... can they really make good bonsai? - Page 2 R2c_2514
Ponderosa Pines... can they really make good bonsai? - Page 2 R2c_2515
Walter Pall
Walter Pall

Back to top Go down

Ponderosa Pines... can they really make good bonsai? - Page 2 Empty Pick my favorite

Post  Potawatomi13 Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:38 pm

Right between the 2nd and 3rd picture from the top.

Potawatomi13

Back to top Go down

Post  dorothy7774 Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:19 pm

Walter Pall wrote:Pick your favorite.
Ponderosa Pines... can they really make good bonsai? - Page 2 R2c_2514
I did. Can I have it now?

Best,
Dorothy
dorothy7774
dorothy7774

Back to top Go down

Post  Twisted Trees Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:42 pm

Do you like Ponderosa pines? If yes then they make great bonsai specimens.

Do you not like them? Then maybe they are not so great.

Personally, I don't like them. The needles are too long and are they do not ramify well. As to the trunks, there are plenty of pine species with great trunks that have better needle and branching characteristics.

Though I'm reminded of a saying by the great American wit, Mark Twain, "It's a difference of opinion that makes horse races."
Twisted Trees
Twisted Trees

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2