3 stones, 1 Juniper - Which would you choose?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

3 stones, 1 Juniper - Which would you choose?

Post  jgeanangel on Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:44 pm

Sometimes matching a tree to a stone can be as big or bigger challenge than finding just the right pot. I am fortunate this time to have a couple of choices. I have made my decision but I am also interested in your feedback. Take a look at this video, and if you are so inclined, let me know which stone you would choose.

Thanks,
John

jgeanangel

Back to top Go down

Re: 3 stones, 1 Juniper - Which would you choose?

Post  JimLewis on Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:08 pm

I think it is between 1 and 3, with something of an edge going to #3.

Whichever you choose, it will work.

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona on Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:30 pm

I'd say 3 with your option of bringing the back branch down over the stone factored in. No 1 looks to my eye as if the tree and the stone are pulling away from each other this throwing the composition out of balance. Also, if it were mine, I'd be wanting to use that rock for a group planting that gives the idea of a hillside with a network of mysterious caves. No 2 I don't like for the colossally irrational reason that it looks like someone's pelvic bone.(Sorry. Embarassed ) No 3 is best for me because it gives a bit of tension between tree and stone but maintains a balance. I'd maybe move the front round ever so slightly - pretty much as it is at 4mins 10 secs. The stone reminded me a bit of a conch-like shell and the multi trunks and the cascading branch look like tentacles which sounds off but to me makes a nice image , but possible that's because I've had too much cough medicine today. Anyway, no 3 works for me.

my website

fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Barry on Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:03 pm

without a doubt #3

Barry

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Ellwood on Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:22 pm

My preference is 1 and utilize the back that has the cave as the front to create depth and mystery.You could bring the cascade down the front partially blocking the cave area and soften the hard line where the seperation was made. then fill the small area on the right with a small azalea, accent plant or just moss. It reminds me of the bule ridge range where you see a small forrest atop of the mountian . and as you traverse down the mountian you see a natural cave structure and a ledge that over looks the range. I can almost make out tiny bats haning from the top of the cave. A very mysterous and thought provoking image for sure.

Seth Ellwood

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes on Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:30 pm

I am not a fan of non traditional plantings, but I think I could live with Rock #3.

Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis on Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:36 pm

I like the shape of #2 but the color is too stark. I think however this can be remedied with accents, muck, and color. I am intrigued by the cave on the right side which can be planted with accents and perhaps another matching juniper. The height of #2 gives room for the cascading left branch to cascade down the mountain. Plus I would like to see a fifth trunk in there somewhere; the cave I mentioned earlier. Great tree and video - as always a first rate posting from you John. Thanks!

Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 on Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:56 pm

Rock #3 works best for me, #1 is 2nd and #2 is 3rd.

Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  MartinSweeney on Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:26 pm

John,

Regards,
Martin

MartinSweeney

Back to top Go down

Post  mike page on Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:43 pm

I hate to have to go along with the crowd, but 3 seems to be the one.

Mike

mike page

Back to top Go down

Post  jgeanangel on Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:16 pm

Thanks to all for sharing your thoughts...
I have been looking at the first stone and this tree for a couple of years...and although it would certainly be possible to get the tree on the stone, the combination has just never grabbed me...perhaps it is an issue of flow and/or direction as Ms. Fiona suggests (Seth...I like the cave as well but for me the tree is way out of scale for that image and there would also be a balance issue I believe).

I contemplated choice 2 for several days over the winter holiday and I think there is reasonable potential in this combination..the tree needs some tweaking but nothing major...and as Todd pointed out there would be no need to elevate the stone or find a ledge to accommodate the cascade branch on my bench.

The 3rd stone is a recent acquisition...and I think I am glad that I have not rushed into making a decision with this material before now! As nearly everyone has recognized, there seems to be a strong connection between these two elements. There is a good location on the stone for the tree to be attached. This location would also leave several interesting areas on the stone viewable in the final composition.

Perhaps now is the hardest part...just waiting until the proper time to put this planting together!!
Thanks to all!
John

jgeanangel

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis on Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:46 pm

Perhaps now is the hardest part...just waiting until the proper time to put this planting together!!

Ain't that always the case -- and the hardest lesson to learn with bonsai!

Glad you saw the light and "followed" our advice, John. <g>

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Kempinski on Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:51 pm

I like stone 3 too. Does the tree have to have three trunks? It seems like a bit much for the stone size. I see I much smaller volume canopy.

Stone 2 with tree sort of looked like a molar with a temporary crown on it Razz

Repotting time should be soon in your climate right?

Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Post  yorasta on Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:54 pm

Rock #3

yorasta

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:07 am

Number 1 for me, but different angle/inclination of the rock.

number 3 is also Ok, but would look too ordinary.

number 2 rock is nice but not with this tree. It is the most interesting among the 3 rocks though.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

3 Stones, 1 Juniper

Post  hoffmanso on Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:50 am

I picked # 3 also. How can we see the method of placing the tree on the stone?

hoffmanso

Back to top Go down

Post  austinh on Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:39 am

With the semicascade branch #3 makes the most sense, based on the shape of the stone I could see that tree growing in that way. 1 and 2 are both great stones but this is not their time to shine.

austinh

Back to top Go down

Post  Dendrogeek on Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:11 am

Number 2 from the angle at 2:59 in the video. It's precariousness adds another dynamic to the composition making it far more exciting.

Dendrogeek

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 11:58 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum