Ladybugs as Aphid control?

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Ladybugs as Aphid control?

Post  Ryan on Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:20 am

Poink88 wrote:Ryan,

If you need a jewelers loupe, check eBay. You can get the 10x for as low as $0.99 free shipping or buy the 30x for $1.75 free shipping. I bought one and though it is far from being the best...I am very happy with it.

30x huh? That sounds pretty enticing....just might have to do that. That should allow me to see the mites Very Happy

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  coh on Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:15 pm

Just curious...how many ladybugs did you have to buy (minimum order)?

Maybe they'll lay eggs and you'll have some ladybug larva which, as noted, are really the big eaters...

coh

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan on Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:13 am

coh wrote:Just curious...how many ladybugs did you have to buy (minimum order)?

Maybe they'll lay eggs and you'll have some ladybug larva which, as noted, are really the big eaters...

Well, I bought 3,000, which I'll use over the span of several weeks. I bought them on eBay. There are smaller amounts 750-2,000 if you search for them.

I wish they'd lay eggs, but I'm not sure they're in favorable egg laying conditions....

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  coh on Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:41 am

3000! Yikes, that's a lot of ladybugs! Do you have a large greenhouse?

They can presumably be "stored" for a while in a refrigerator, right? I know around here, the ladybugs congregate in the fall and look for places to over-winter...cracks around doors and windows, etc. Then some of them find their way into the house on warmer days.

coh

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan on Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:11 pm

coh wrote:3000! Yikes, that's a lot of ladybugs! Do you have a large greenhouse?

They can presumably be "stored" for a while in a refrigerator, right? I know around here, the ladybugs congregate in the fall and look for places to over-winter...cracks around doors and windows, etc. Then some of them find their way into the house on warmer days.

I don't have a large greenhouse, but I've got multiple aquariums full of trees Very Happy

They can be stored in the fridge for up to two months, thankfully.

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 6:49 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum