Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kokufu 2012

+3
John Quinn
Salva
rck89
7 posters

Go down

Kokufu 2012 Empty Kokufu 2012

Post  rck89 Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:48 pm

Hello All - I'm attending the upcoming Kokufu next month. A couple of very small questions:
1. When is the best day to go? Or least crowded day?
2. What is the admission costs? Are there multi-day passes available? Can you go and come on the same day - i.e., go to lunch and return - on the same daily admission?
3. What is the address of the Industrial Center? Can it be reached easily from the Toyko Hilton?
4. Any good resturant suggestions for lunch near the exhibit?
5. Any good tour suggestions for Toyko City (or bonsai collections for public view) for during the show week? If so, who, when and where please.

Thanks much. I'm looking forward to learning a lot at the show!

Bob
rck89
rck89

Back to top Go down

Kokufu 2012 Empty Re: Kokufu 2012

Post  Salva Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:10 pm

Hi Rck89, in this web are information, these people organizing tours to bonsai. I've only been once, I think the price of admission is worth 1000 yen.

https://jbons252.securesites.com/ssl_index.html

https://jbons252.securesites.com/ssl_index.html
Salva
Salva

Back to top Go down

Post  rck89 Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:59 pm

Salva - Thanks much, I'll check out the site. Are you going this year?

Bob
rck89
rck89

Back to top Go down

Post  Salva Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:09 pm

Hi friend, no this year no, i hope in the future.
Visit the green market, is espectacular
Salva
Salva

Back to top Go down

Post  John Quinn Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:44 am

Yes, make sure you get to the Green Club vendor area...in the past they have run shuttles throughout the day between the exhibit and the Green Club.
John Quinn
John Quinn

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Kempinski Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:46 am

The Kokufuten is in Ueno Park, right off the Yamanote line (which is sort of like Tokyo's beltway, except it is a surface train. The later days in the afternoon are not as crowded.

As for bonsai sites near Tokyo , Mr Kobyashi's bonsai museum is in east Tokyo. Not too hard to find.
Omiya is a 45 minute ride by bullet train but requires a transfer so might be a bit tricky if you've never been to Japan before.

Ginza at night is worth seeing.
Mr. Morimae keeps a bonsai shop in Ginza.

Have fun.

Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Post  John Quinn Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:15 am

And great sushi about every 100 feet...
John Quinn
John Quinn

Back to top Go down

Post  John Quinn Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:20 am

This year the exhibit is in the Tokyo Industrial Trade Center, Asakusa.
John Quinn
John Quinn

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Kempinski Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:05 pm

John Quinn wrote:This year the exhibit is in the Tokyo Industrial Trade Center, Asakusa.

Thanks for the correction John. Didn't know they moved the venue. Still at Ueno Station but about a 10 minute walk east.
Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Post  William N. Valavanis Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:13 pm

Please note that the 2011 and 2012 Kokufu Bonsai Ten are NOT in Ueno, but in Asakusa, a bit further away. The exhibition is nearly across the street from the well known and interesting Asakusa Kannon Temple. If you find your way there, just ask where the Tokyo Industrial Trade Center is.

Another way to get to the exhibition is to go to the Ueno Green Club and take the free shuttle bus to the exhibition. Take the train to Ueno Station, or even better, subway to NEZU station. The Ueno Green Club is next to the zoo, it's a three story building full of bonsai for sale and also the parking lot is equally full of bonsai. The free shuttle bus is in front and will have the show poster on the windows.

The exhibition admission is ¥1,000, about US$13.00 at today's exchange rate. There are no multi-day passes, but you can usually hang on to your admission stub to be allowed in. Avoid early in the mornings as they are busiest, however, attendance at last years's show was way down and I never really saw it crowded like it was in previous years at the Ueno Metropolitan Art Museum. Hopefully, remodeling construction will be completed in time for next year's Kokufu ten. Although beautiful and dynamic, the bonsai displayed last year were not nearly the quality as in the past. Apparently the exhibitors want their bonsai on display in a museum, rather than in a "trade center" with low ceilings...

For the best and most complete information on Kokufu Bonsai Ten, complete with links with directions please visit Rober Baran's web site at:

http://phoenixbonsai.com/Days/Kokufuten.html

Perhaps we will see each other there on Wednesday, Thursday or Friday. Unfortunately, I can't attend the opening on Saturday because I'll be teaching at the Shohin Bonsai Seminar in California, but will leave on Monday morning for Tokyo, directly from San Francisco. Leave US on Monday, arrive Tokyo Tuesday evening and I'll be at the show all day for the next three days until the closing on Friday.

Enjoy the trip!

Bill

Kokufu 2012 2011-k10
Overview of 85th 2011 Kokufu Bonsai Ten
William N. Valavanis
William N. Valavanis

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:02 pm

John Quinn wrote:And great sushi about every 100 feet...

But go to the big fish market for the absolute best and freshest sushi and sashimi.

Enjoy it, Bill and any others that are going.

BTW, #4 is the best issue of International Bonsai this year! Best of the best!
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  rck89 Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:05 pm

Thanks. Is the Big Fish Market close?
rck89
rck89

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:07 pm

No. Clear across town, but like everything within reach of a train or subway station. Get a Fodor's guidebook. Your library has them.

Tsugii fish market is, I think, the largest fish market in the world. Take a camera.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  William N. Valavanis Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:21 pm

Jim,

Glad you liked International BONSAI NO. 4. If you think that one is good, wait until you see the new issue for 2012! There is a five page color educational demonstration by Masahiko Kimura AND he is not working on old dead wood. In the new series, beginning with this issue, he will be working on smaller trees, which are similar to what is commonly available outside of Japan. This issue is on "Elegant Bonsai" and the covers were printed last night and today. The text pages will be printed tomorrow.

Bill

Kokufu 2012 2012-n10
William N. Valavanis
William N. Valavanis

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:53 pm

My check is in the mail -- almost -- Bill. Look for it. And I look forward to it.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:34 pm

Bill, have a safe trip and I look forward to seeing you in Lynchburg.
Best,
Todd
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down