Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Which of these Buttonwood will you get/buy?

+6
Todd Ellis
jgeanangel
marcus watts
Ryan
drgonzo
Poink88
10 posters

Go down

Which of these Buttonwood will you get/buy? Empty Which of these Buttonwood will you get/buy?

Post  Poink88 Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:45 am

If you have a choice, which one of these two will you buy? Price difference is minimal and my initial instinct is to get #1 but I can see something in #2 as well.

Buttonwood #1
Which of these Buttonwood will you get/buy? Photo11
Which of these Buttonwood will you get/buy? Photo31

Buttonwood #2
Which of these Buttonwood will you get/buy? Photo3
Which of these Buttonwood will you get/buy? Photo1
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Which of these Buttonwood will you get/buy? Empty Re: Which of these Buttonwood will you get/buy?

Post  drgonzo Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:06 am

Number 2

you get the same double trunk action as number 1 but the twist around of one trunk behind the other makes it unusual and unique!

I always ask my wife which one she likes when I run into a quandary like this one, she doesn't do Bonsai, and looks at me funny when after giving her opinion I say things like..."but it has awful taper" then she just walks away.
-Jay
drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Which of these Buttonwood will you get/buy? Empty Re: Which of these Buttonwood will you get/buy?

Post  Poink88 Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:11 am

drgonzo wrote:Number 2

you get the same double trunk effect as number 1 but the twist around of one trunk behind the other makes it unusual and unique!

I always ask my wife which one she likes when I run into a quandary like this one, she doesn't do Bonsai, and looks at me funny when after giving her opinion I say things like..."but it has awful taper" then she just walks away.
-Jay

Jay, The first 2 pics are of the same tree. The last 2 are of the other and the way you describe it, it seems you are talking about pic 2 of tree 1...or I am confused.
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  drgonzo Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:55 am

OOOH I get It sorry about that.

Well number one then, and it has a couple fronts available obviously Very Happy
-Jay
drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:56 am

Definitely the first tree.

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:46 am

it depends what finished images please you - if you want a more upright head of foliage on a trunk (or 2) the first tree offers that - but looking closely at the initial branches coming from the main trunk they all come from one spot - so most need cutting off, the second trunk has one branch pointing inwards so not ideal either (if it is alive). Both trunks have zero natural taper too. Do they make plenty of new buds all over so you can get branches in better places?

tree 2 has a far more aged and natural look, and would make a powerfull squat tree - it also has a mature rising branch (trunk) in the right place, so for me tree 2 is the more interesting material and will achieve a convincing and unique bonsai in a lot less time - tree one is just another trunk chop, of which there are 1000's anyway and it takes forever for them to look anything but rough chops - most get no more refined than a head of twigs on a parallel trunk with some carving and hollowing to hide the saw mark.

But it comes totally down to personal taste of the finished images that please you most

cheers Marcus
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  jgeanangel Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:03 pm

marcus watts wrote:

But it comes totally down to personal taste of the finished images that please you most

cheers Marcus

In my opinion, Marcus' statement is correct...it comes down to what you can see in the material....not what others can see(unless maybe they can do a virtual for you that will help you recognize possibilities). It is easy when you are new to the hobby to buy, collect, and/or acquire material that you think has potential but you may not actually see a clear direction for training and styling. In my garden, and in many of the gardens of people I know, this kind of material just gets cared for through the years and is never developed into anything because of a lack of vision for the future.

so, my question back to you is what do you see in this material? and my advice is to make your decision about what to buy based on your vision.
John

jgeanangel

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:20 pm

If this was a mail order and I had to choose ... it would be #2 tree. It appears to have a lot more movement with a very large trunk and deadwood areas. I tend to go for the unusual. The first tree (#1) would be styled more upright; a more traditional style. Its (#1) trunk is certainly large and will be carved. Also, tree #1 might even become two separate trees; depending on whats under the soil. Is it a solid fuse under the soil?

Anyway, I really drooled when I saw #2. I can imagine it as a semi-cascade style but need to see more pics ...

Marcus is 'spot on' - any tree with a chop will need good convincing carving; a time consuming task. I am not a good carver and usually leave this task to the next 'grower' or workshop. Tree #2 will look more like "the old tree it is" in less time; the right pot will set it off!

It is hard to decide sometimes, but it sounds as if your "inner bonsai voice" was talking to you. Very Happy

Have fun either way! Very Happy

Todd

Last edited by Todd Ellis on Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:26 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : add more thoughts)
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Pressler Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:22 pm

Why choose? Get 'em both. Cool
Bob Pressler
Bob Pressler

Back to top Go down

Post  coh Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:29 pm

Some good advice has already been posted. As others have noted, it really comes down to your preference. These are 2 very different types of material - do you want the impressive, more upright bulk of the first tree, or the (potentially) more interesting structure of the second? I say potentially because it's really hard to see exactly what is going on in the second tree. I think I would go with the second, but I'd need some better photos before making the final decision. Also, I have no experience with buttonwood.

Chris
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Post  drgonzo Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:50 pm

Actually i think everyone else has me convinced now, and upon looking again I might lean towards the second one as well. Like Bob says get em both Very Happy
-Jay
drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:28 am

Bob Pressler wrote:Why choose? Get 'em both. Cool

I just paid for both since I was offered a deal I cannot pass up.
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  coh Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:50 am

Please post some clearer pictures (especially of #2) when you get a chance...looks very interesting.
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:01 am

coh wrote:Please post some clearer pictures (especially of #2) when you get a chance...looks very interesting.
I will in a week or 2...I should have these by then.
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:36 am

jgeanangel wrote:
marcus watts wrote:

cheers Marcus

In my opinion, Marcus' statement is correct...it comes down to what you can see in the material....not what others can see(unless maybe they can do a virtual for you that will help you recognize possibilities). It is easy when you are new to the hobby to buy, collect, and/or acquire material that you think has potential but you may not actually see a clear direction for training and styling. In my garden, and in many of the gardens of people I know, this kind of material just gets cared for through the years and is never developed into anything because of a lack of vision for the future.

so, my question back to you is what do you see in this material? and my advice is to make your decision about what to buy based on your vision.
John
Marcus and John,

I forgot to tell you both that your responses are much appreciated. It actually got me thinking! Very Happy.
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:03 pm

From what I see #2 has more potential to develop interesting shari.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Kempinski Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:09 pm

Another point to consider when getting buttonwood is leaf shape and quality. The first one seemed to have cold damaged leaves but the leaves look smaller. The second one looks healthy but larger leaves. Both trees can be improved by carving so good choice to get them both. ThumbsUp The first one will need a lot of carving to look interesting.
Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:06 pm

I finally received these buttonwoods and they are so much better in person!!!! cheers
#1 is massive but can be easily reduced, and yes, it will have to be carved. The buried trunk is also very nice.
#2 is my wife's favorite...it is almost a totally different tree in person. I think a lot of the dead wood are too far gone being buried but I will see in a year how they are. Only thing I noted is that it is totally defoliated scratch . I asked the vendor why and still waiting for the response.

With these a few (5) plants tagged along Very Happy ...I will post pics this weekend.
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down