Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What Maple is this.

2 posters

Go down

What Maple is this. Empty What Maple is this.

Post  Chiang Cheng Kooi Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:19 am

I got this maple last year during festive sale in Malaysia. i change the pot n soil. manage to grow it for a year already. I did put the maple in the fridge for 45 days so that it have a dormancy period, after taking out from the fridge, it grow new shoot with red colour but after sometimes change to green. The leaf is about 1 to 1.5 inches
What Maple is this. Maple_11
What Maple is this. Maple_12
A couple weeks ago juz went to look around the nurseries around my neighbourhood, could not resist this maple too, bought 1 n change the pot, i think it is the same type as the first one. hope someone can ID the maple.
What Maple is this. Maple_13
What Maple is this. Mmaple10
Chiang Cheng Kooi
Chiang Cheng Kooi

Back to top Go down

What Maple is this. Empty Re: What Maple is this.

Post  marcus watts Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:00 am

Hi,
i think i'm right in saying that all maples grown from seed can not be named - they are just 'acer palmatum sp.' Any wild seed can be made from cross pollination, so a flower on a 'deshojo' will not produce deshojo seeds - the other parent could have been a normal palmatum or any other windblown acer pollen so it is totally impossible to state the seed is a pure named variety (this is why many seed sellers are wrong to sell acer seeds as pure named varieties, the best you can hope for is some seedlings to have some of the parents characteristics).

The good thing is the normal acer palmatum sp. can be one of the strongest varieties for bonsai, and within the un-named species there are desireable trees with nice green bark, even leaf size and good leaf colour. Once found these trees are used to propogate by cuttings and layers to keep the variety the same. Most normal acer seedlings are used as roots to graft the named varieties onto, then it is a proper named plant.

cheers Marcus
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

What Maple is this. Empty Marcus W

Post  Chiang Cheng Kooi Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:44 am

MW, thanks for your comment, just like us human, cannot get offspring the same as the father or mother, unless we can be clone.

Last edited by Chiang Cheng Kooi on Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Chiang Cheng Kooi
Chiang Cheng Kooi

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:28 am

Chiang Cheng Kooi wrote:MW, thanks for your comment, just like u human, cannot get offspring the same as the father or mother, unless we can be clone.

hahaha, what a great quote ! and thank goodness we cant !

Marcus
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down