Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pinus Radiata no. 01

3 posters

Go down

Pinus Radiata no. 01 Empty Pinus Radiata no. 01

Post  gtuthill Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:35 am

Hello all,

I have finally organised all my photos, so i can stop lurking Smile

This is my first Pinus Radiata, and probably my first pine.
Radiata are very common here in New Zealand for timber. I bought this as a very overgrown nursery tree in 2001 or 2002. This tree is approx 75 cm tall.

I have maintained this as per JPB for the last couple of years and it has improved greatly. I'm looking of guidance/comments in all areas especially pot selection.

Thanks!
Greg

2004:
Pinus Radiata no. 01 Dsc01412

2010:
Pinus Radiata no. 01 Dsc01413

2012:

Pinus Radiata no. 01 Dsc01411

gtuthill

Back to top Go down

Pinus Radiata no. 01 Empty Re: Pinus Radiata no. 01

Post  daiviet_nguyen Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:44 am

Hi gtuthill,

Very nice find. I like it in the last picture. You have to find a pot now I guess Smile?

We grow radiata as bonsai in Melbourne too. But typical nursery materials are usually straight as a pole Sad

Judging by the bark-flakes, I am guessing that this pine is quite old?

I am looking forward to see more of your bonsais.

Best regards.

daiviet_nguyen

Back to top Go down

Post  gtuthill Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:34 pm

Yes this tree is approx 20-25 years old. I have been training for 10 years or so. The bark really is beatiful on this tree.

gtuthill

Back to top Go down

Post  gtuthill Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:10 am

Hi, i have just done the fall maintenance on this one and its looking a little untidy without branch wire on it:
Pinus Radiata no. 01 Dsc03817

I'm looking to restyle as follows. I think this more open design looks more balanced with this tree being quite tall for its width. Your thoughts and comments please.

Pinus Radiata no. 01 Dsc03815

gtuthill

Back to top Go down

Post  jow Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:49 am

Hi greg.

I like your drawing, but i would not be so quick to cut off the top jin. They dont heal well so some sort of apex jin or at least a short jin would be a good idea.

As for radiatas, i have been playing with them for a number of years. I am still yet to feel like i am driving them correctly.

HERE are some articles i have written about my trees and techniques i have tried out. Most of the trees now need an update but you can get the idea.

I have found them reluctant to bud back on wood much older than 2 or 3 years which means they slowly become a little on the leggy side. One of my trees is quite old (35+ years since collection) and another much younger (10-15 year old). The younger is much more vigourous and buds back better than the more mature pine.

I have tried treating them like JBP and have found that garve not so great results. This year i have pruned all new growth in late summer instead of the early summer timing i usually do my black pines in. the young pine is responding quite well to this compared to the earlier timing.

I'd be keen to hear your ideas and experiences with the species as much like NZ we have heaps of them here in Australia.

Joe.

jow

Back to top Go down

Post  gtuthill Tue May 01, 2012 9:01 am

Thanks Joe,

Your Blog is very interesting. I agree that the back budding is a little difficult to predict. I have in the past cut off all new growth to restrict the growth to old areas, this was quite successful but not attractive Smile

Part of the reason for the restyle is because it is a finer more sparse image.

I did read somewhere that radiata are unusual in that they can/do produce entirely new growth outside of the normal spring growth. From what i have seen, these are "tufty" type growth, not candles. Seems to be more on young, and vigorous parts of trees.

I feel like i have much to learn about these trees Smile I expect it will take some years.

gtuthill

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down