Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The different among plum, apricot, peach n cherry flower.

3 posters

Go down

The different among plum, apricot, peach n cherry flower. Empty The different among plum, apricot, peach n cherry flower.

Post  Chiang Cheng Kooi Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:13 pm

The diffrent among plum, apricot, peach and cherry flowers
Hello everybody, is there anybody that can tell the different among the flower of plum, apricot, peach and cherry. I got this mallsai imported from one of the East Asian country from our local nursery. It might not survive long but never the less it has given me a lot of viewing pleasure for more than a month already (flower still blooming after a month). However I will try to keep the tree alive, having said that I had manage to keep a dwarf maple mallsai alive for more than a year, I mimic the dormancy by keeping the maple in the fridge for 45 days n after I took it out it grow vigorously. The potting material also being change.

The nursery assistant told me it is sakura, but here in tropical Malaysia people will just gave a name for convenience sake or to just to market the plant. I hope the someone can tell be what flower it is by looking at the pictures i posted here,
The different among plum, apricot, peach n cherry flower. Plum_211
The different among plum, apricot, peach n cherry flower. Plum_111
Chiang Cheng Kooi
Chiang Cheng Kooi

Back to top Go down

The different among plum, apricot, peach n cherry flower. Empty Re: The different among plum, apricot, peach n cherry flower.

Post  Russell Coker Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:15 pm

Well, to confuse you even more, this isn't a plum, apricot, peach or cherry. It's a Japanese flowering quince, Chaenomeles. The others you mentioned are all Prunus.
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

The different among plum, apricot, peach n cherry flower. Empty prunus mume flowers

Post  abcd Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:32 pm

[img]The different among plum, apricot, peach n cherry flower. Hiver010[/img]

[img]The different among plum, apricot, peach n cherry flower. Hiver011[/img]

There is many and many colors , from pure white to deep red
abcd
abcd

Back to top Go down

The different among plum, apricot, peach n cherry flower. Empty Re: The different among plum, apricot, peach n cherry flower.

Post  Chiang Cheng Kooi Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:15 am

Thanks guys, now i can do more reading about the caring of this plant.
Chiang Cheng Kooi
Chiang Cheng Kooi

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:58 am

CCK, please keep us posted on how this does for you. They do well for me here with a short winter and a few freezes, but I'm guessing your climate is more tropical. It doesn't need much, but quince does require some cold to bloom consistantly so you may have to refigerate it for a short period.

That's a nice trunk for a quince. What you usually find here at the nurseries is a pot of sticks. It may take a little extra effort on your part but I think it's worth it.

Good luck!

R
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  Chiang Cheng Kooi Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:02 am

RC,
The tree branch flowering branch of the above tree is actually grafted on another plant of another variety of sepsis, the sucker shoot from the base differ from the branch, the sucker leafs are long n pointed but the leaf from the branch are more oval or rounded.
The tree is relative cheap here, about RM 35 Malaysia currency that is about USD 10. Most of people here treat this plant as disposable for decoration during Chinese New Year Festival, something like buying Christmas tree during Christmas. Beside this kumquat, lime, mandarin orange, lucky bamboo, red maple, pussy willow and prunes (the flower is same as the one posted by “abcd” but do not know of what sepsis) and many other plants are market this way. In fact I bought prunes last year but I throw it away because it was infected by white cotton like fungus all over the tree as I do not want it to infect my black pine as well.

This the other quince that I bought, I plan to cut off the taller right trunk coz of the ugly budge due to the graft fusion, make it into a semi cascade with the shorter left trunk, the weeping style of the thinner branch is being wire individually into weeping style (I had removed the wire). Both the pots in the picture is 9 inches diameter from side to side. Do you have any suggestion.
Thanks

The different among plum, apricot, peach n cherry flower. Weepin11
Chiang Cheng Kooi
Chiang Cheng Kooi

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:14 pm

That's pretty nice for disposable seasonal plants. All we get is crap like poinsettias and Easter lilies. Too bad the grafts are so bad. I guess they are grafting better flowering varieties on common stock. They should root easily, have you considered air layering at the graft union?
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  Chiang Cheng Kooi Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:25 pm

RC, Thanks
Chiang Cheng Kooi
Chiang Cheng Kooi

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down