verticillum

View previous topic View next topic Go down

verticillum

Post  Mitch - Cedarbog on Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:45 am

I just got done reading another very good thread on here about acidifying inorganic soils. One person mentioned verticillum.
I don't currently have verticillum nor ever had(knock on wood) but the QUESTION HERE IS organic vs. Inorganic soils: does one or the other prevent verticillum? Why and what are some causes of verticillum?

Mitch - Cedarbog

Back to top Go down

Verticillium (sic)

Post  bonsaisr on Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:59 pm

If you Google on verticillium, you will find lots of information, but mainly about landscape trees. In pot plants, the most common factor is overwatering.
Iris

bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Re: verticillum

Post  drgonzo on Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:10 pm

Mitch - Cedarbog wrote:I just got done reading another very good thread on here about acidifying inorganic soils. One person mentioned verticillum.
I don't currently have verticillum nor ever had(knock on wood) but the QUESTION HERE IS organic vs. Inorganic soils: does one or the other prevent verticillum? Why and what are some causes of verticillum?

Your chances of accidentally introducing the oospore that causes Verticilium wilt when you use inorganic soil are remote, Also the medium itself is inhospitable to the fungus and also makes overwatering difficult.

One way of introducing the big V into your soil is to use sifted pine bark taken from garden center potting soil bags. These bags often contain the oospore, especially if they are unsterilized and have been sitting out in the rain and cold overwintering outdoors as many box store garden centers are want to do.

May you never have to experience the slow, sad death of a tree through Verticillium wilt!
-Jay

drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Re: verticillum

Post  Sponsored content Today at 5:03 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum