"hang-ups" and phobias

View previous topic View next topic Go down

"hang-ups" and phobias

Post  Garykk on Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:09 pm

Over the years I would have to come clean and say my big two "hang-ups" are soil drainage and sacrifice branches. I can't drill enough holes in training pots and I find it very difficult removing sacrifice branches. The trunks can never be fat enough right? lol's What are yours?

Last edited by Garykk on Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

Garykk

Back to top Go down

Re: "hang-ups" and phobias

Post  Garykk on Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:03 am

Another phobia that I have is the fear of starting a thread on an International Forum and no one partakes. lol"s

__gary

Garykk

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis on Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:34 pm

Wow! You should name your Ficus Jabba the Hutt. That's one phobia you need to control. He looks downright evil.

The holes, I can agree with, though I prefer mine to be quite a bit larger, those small ones get clogged and don't help drainage in the long run. They're great for tie wires, though. <g>

My only obsession now is to quit adding trees!

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Garykk on Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:04 pm

You now it is interesting Jim, I experimented with hole sizes for positive drainage. I would increase hole diameter until it would break the water surface tension, water viscosity bubble would break and allow positive flow. I try to keep the capillary fringe zone (perched water table at one time) to a minimum. It cannot be totaly removed but with a little care managed for best results. Thanks for breaking the ice! lol's

__gary

Garykk

Back to top Go down

Post  Carolee on Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:55 pm

As you are afraid of starting a thread and no one partakes, I am afraid of missing a good thread because I didn't check the forumn every day, at least three times. But, I admit I have not checked this site for three days. Embarassed Are the training pots you drill plastic? If not what is your method for drilling holes? I know about the surface tension of water, but I've never really given thought to the number of holes in my pots. I just make sure I have a good draining soil. Does the number, size, and position of holes really make a difference? I ask, because I lost an acer campestre recently. I think maybe because it wasn't draining well, even though the soil is the same I use for everything else in training pots. Maybe it was the holes in the pots?

Carolee

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis on Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:57 am

The pot he showed appeared to be a Korean Mica pot. I drill them, too, but for tie down wires.

One a 10-inch pot, I like to see five 1.5-inch (or a bit larger) holes -- four at the corners and one in the middle.

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Joe Hatfield on Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:55 pm

You are looking for a ceramic tile drill bit for making these holes in this type of material. FYI

I get caught up with executing plans that I have made for my trees. I will get an idea to change the styling and do as much research as possible and play with Photoshop only to contemplate the plans for another few weeks Smile Sometimes it causes me to have to wait until the next season to do what I had planned. I'm getting better with that though.

I guess its part of some of the lessons brought forth by practicing bonsai.

Joe Hatfield

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 6:13 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum