Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What is going on with the leaves?

3 posters

Go down

What is going on with the leaves? Empty What is going on with the leaves?

Post  pauldck1982 Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:04 pm

Im new to bonsai but have admired them for years. My wife has bought me a Buxus Harlandii and it was all looking good. I did everything I was told to with regard to watering etc. However all of a sudden the leaves have all closed up and I'm a bit worried that it is about to peg it!

What is going on with the leaves? 02511

Is this normal or is something wrong with it?

pauldck1982

Back to top Go down

What is going on with the leaves? Empty Re: What is going on with the leaves?

Post  JohnMilton Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:25 pm

Hi,
where about's are you keeping the tree? indoors or out?
It kinda looks like it might of dried out. Have you kept it near/above a radiator? or some sort of heat source?
Even if it doesn't dry the soil out straight away it could fry the foilage.
If your keeping it indoors position is very important. It needs plenty of light, east or west facing windowsill is ideal. Dont keep it near any heat sources, so no radiator underneath the windowsill.
You dont wont any drafts, sudden changes in temprature can cause problems. So dont have any open windows near by etc.
The other main thing is the watering. Best way to water is (if you only have one tree) is to plunge it in a bowl of water, so the water is just above the soil level. Leave it there till the bubbles finish coming out and place on a drip tray. How often do you water? feel the surface of the soil, if it feels damp leave for another day. check each day and if it starts to feel dry then water.
If you are keeping it outside, buxus harlandii need some winter protection the last winters in the uk have been too harsh to keep them without it.
Hope this helps.

-John
JohnMilton
JohnMilton

Back to top Go down

Post  drgonzo Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:35 pm

Check for powdery mildew, treat as needed.
-Jay
drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down