Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hawthorns in Kaiapoi

2 posters

Go down

Hawthorns in Kaiapoi Empty Hawthorns in Kaiapoi

Post  Neil Brough Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:36 am

Collected these trees earlier this year in autumn , down a fence line adjacent to some railway tracks. They were in dry arid soil so tap root city ,two are strong growers the shortest one got given a trunk reduction the other night after some inspiration and liquid refreshment. The third one with the hollow straight trunk is producing a second flush of growth now.

Hawthorns in Kaiapoi Img_1212
Hawthorns in Kaiapoi Img_1214
Hawthorns in Kaiapoi Img_1215

Neil Brough

Back to top Go down

Hawthorns in Kaiapoi Empty Re: Hawthorns in Kaiapoi

Post  drgonzo Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:23 am

By trimming the new growth back to one or two buds in the fall or early spring (i.e...while dormant) you can get these guys to explode buds in the spring from the trunks with which to further build your branch structures, I have also found Hawthorns difficult to kill even when collecting trees with a lot of root loss.
-Jay
drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Hawthorns in Kaiapoi Empty hawthorns-in-kaiapoi

Post  Neil Brough Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:52 am

Hi Jay yip some of the progressions on hawthorns that i have viewed discus hard pruning into autumn with good results. The taller hawthorn is a very vigorious tree i think it will progress well and develop good primary and secondary branches. CANT WAIT CHEERS

Neil Brough

Back to top Go down

Hawthorns in Kaiapoi Empty Re: Hawthorns in Kaiapoi

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down