Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pot for my juniper

+6
Jesse
fiona
Russell Coker
Nik Rozman
manosvince
Mikey P
10 posters

Go down

Pot for my juniper Empty Pot for my juniper

Post  Mikey P Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:25 pm

Hey IBC. here is one of my junipers that i restyled 2 weeks ago. I will be letting it grow free all next year before i cut back to stimulate back budding and denser growth. It is also due to be repotted next spring and i am trying to find its final pot. I would be most appreciative if some members could take some time to do me some photoshop images with a few pots in mind before i go to Noelanders and purchase the chosen pot. Thanks a lot for any images created. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Mikey

Pot for my juniper Dsc_0110
Mikey P
Mikey P

Back to top Go down

Pot for my juniper Empty Re: Pot for my juniper

Post  manosvince Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:55 pm

Pot for my juniper Dsc_0111

Just in few seconds with ms paint.(its the same pot, I just kept the bottom of it) Hope you enjoy it!
Manos
manosvince
manosvince

Back to top Go down

Post  Nik Rozman Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:33 pm

Hey Mikey.
I'm not really a virtual-maker but here's a pot suggestion.

Pot for my juniper Fr3
Nik Rozman
Nik Rozman

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:43 pm

I like the softness of Nik's pot, or even an oval.
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:51 pm

I'm with Russell on the oval idea.

In fact, if you look at the tree in Manosvince's avatar, it's pretty close to what I'd be thinking of it it were my tree.

I'm thinking you should take a trip over to the Pots forum and have a look at some of the potters' work. I don't really like to single anyone out as they all have great offerings but Peter Krebs has some like that one in the avatar on his own thread.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Jesse Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:04 pm

Russell Coker wrote:

I like the softness of Nik's pot, or even an oval.
agreed
Jesse
Jesse

Back to top Go down

Post  abcd Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:09 pm

[img]Pot for my juniper Dsc_0110[/img]

if the form is good, this pot is still too clear for me, a darker color, brown would be better.
abcd
abcd

Back to top Go down

Post  Pavel Slovák Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:14 pm

Maybe?
Pot for my juniper Dsc_0110

Pavel
Pavel Slovák
Pavel Slovák

Back to top Go down

Post  Nik Rozman Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:26 pm

I like Pavel's suggestion. (Even more then mine cyclops )
Nik Rozman
Nik Rozman

Back to top Go down

Post  John Quinn Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:30 am

I like pots with a horizontal line or ridge halfway up...it can give the illusion that the pot is more shallow than it really is.
John Quinn
John Quinn

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:13 am

These aren't the best virts I've ever done, Mikey, but I hope they may be of some help. I like the idea of a round or oval pot like so:

Pot for my juniper Mikey_18

Pot for my juniper Mikey_11

Pot for my juniper Mikey_16

Just on an aside, would you consider reducing that crown height any? Without seeing it up close, I wondered about making it more compact.

Pot for my juniper Mikey_13 Pot for my juniper Mikey_15 Pot for my juniper Mikey_17

Last edited by fiona on Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:00 am; edited 1 time in total
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  abcd Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:29 am

Y think that round pots are reserved to literati style , your tree is a moyogi ( shin go yo : powerful, stable, strong ) , so , rectangular pot is better .
abcd
abcd

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:16 am

Hi,

Like Fiona, the crown had me wondering a bit too - the branches are styled nice and evenly, as if the trunk continues on its original line up the center, but because there is no trunk there and just a space the top looks unstable and floating. Maybe if you built the crown lower, so it was actually closer to the thicker trunk, with jin from the thin section that is currently making the top of the tree?. This would be a very very strong, powerfull and older image of a larger tree. If you found this style appealled to you the pot choice would then change - it would also be better masculine and powerfull so not the gentle curving ovals that are very sweeping.

if you keep the design of the tree as it is some of the pots in the verts with the very narrow bases look extremely unstable, weakening the image further. One consideration I also make is that pots that curve inwards sharply at the top are terrible - the tree will root solidly under the curve, and a juniper grows strong woody roots quickly, so the only way you will ever get the tree out to repot is to cut it out and this is not always the best way to begin root pruning your tree. I thinl Pavels choice is the nicest pot so far as it isnt quite so soft, i havent got photoshop, sorry.

regards Marcus
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:38 am

abcd wrote:Y think that round pots are reserved to literati style , your tree is a moyogi ( shin go yo : powerful, stable, strong ) , so , rectangular pot is better .
I'd agree generally about powerful, stable, strong trees going in rectangular pots, but I don't think this is the case for this tree - mostly because I think the curve of the trunk gives it a gracefulness that for me takes it away from those powerful, stable, strong aspects. I don't mean that in a bad way - in fact I think the opposite: I think it has an added dimension that raises it above the normal "powerful" trees which have a squareness or a squatness about them. I personally (and it is only my personal preference) would use something less rectangular for anything with as much sinuousness of trunk as this one has. Looking back at my hastily assembled virts (my excuse is they were done at 2.30am Very Happy ) I'd probably discount the round one but I really do like the oval one in the first picture for this tree for the reasons I have given.

fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Mikey P Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:05 pm

Thanks for all the virtuals and good advice guys. Pavel i realy like your shape and size of pot choice so i will look for a pot around that design. Marcus and Fiona i agree with you about the crown however it is a complicated apex. i cannot turn the top in to a jin as all the top branches come from it. The back branches are pulled down. I will just alow the apex to grow more dense and fill in the spaces. If the tree shows strong signs of back budding then i will consider reducing the apex and creating some age in the top of tree. ThumbsUp ThumbsUp ThumbsUp ThumbsUp
Mikey P
Mikey P

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down