Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Japanese Yew, First Styling

+2
marcus watts
jersanct
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Japanese Yew, First Styling Empty Japanese Yew, First Styling

Post  jersanct Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:25 pm

This is my most recent acquisition, a Japanese yew from the Niigata region. I had a difference of opinion with one of my teachers concerning the best front for the tree; having styled it using his front, I must admit that he was right. His front loses some of the best bits of the deadwood, but gains much in dynamic trunk movement. Thanks for looking, and please leave any comments, advice, or criticism that you may have.

Here's a pic before work:
[img]Japanese Yew, First Styling Dsc01610[/img]

My choice of front:
[img]Japanese Yew, First Styling Dsc01611[/img]

Teacher's choice of front:
[img]Japanese Yew, First Styling Dsc01612[/img]

After completing the first styling:
[img]Japanese Yew, First Styling Dsc01712[/img]
jersanct
jersanct

Back to top Go down

Japanese Yew, First Styling Empty Re: Japanese Yew, First Styling

Post  jersanct Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:02 am

Let's try this again...any comments from anyone? Would you have gone with the other front? Do you find the pigeon breast disturbing? Do you like it?
jersanct
jersanct

Back to top Go down

Post  jersanct Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:26 am

Images from all sides, perhaps more fodder for discussion.

Left side:

Japanese Yew, First Styling Dsc01716

Rear:

Japanese Yew, First Styling Dsc01715

Right side:

Japanese Yew, First Styling Dsc01717

jersanct
jersanct

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:19 am

hi,
at the moment i think there is a lot too much greenery for the size of the trunk, it unbalances the tree image with such a large top.

this is always a good way round after a first style though as its easier to prune it back more than wait for it to grow again. Laughing i think i'd try to make the tree more compact and powerfull, a lower crown by about 3rd and a shorter 1st branch would go a long way to actually making the tree look bigger.

nice piece of material to work on though, thanks for the pics

after another look the capital T made by the trunk and branches draws the eye a bit too much as well, maybe a slight change to the front??.....so one side of the T is lost behind the other one, or the upper portion could be hidden a bit more with foliage from the new lower crown maybe.

marcus
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:41 am

hi, this does not look like a Japanese yew... It looks like Taxus Baccatta (my preferred species)

when choosing your front there are lots to consider. Is the top of tree coming towards you, are you getting the most pleasing movement. Can you pot it well. Only you can answer this when you repot.

Also I consider the canopy too large/wide for the slender trunk.

regards

Back to top Go down

Post  sunip Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:43 am

Hello,
Nice material.
I must say i agree with Marcus, that T shape junction is catching the eye in a less pleasant way, as it is now.
But the pot has a round shape, so that makes it easier to turn and consider different fronts, why only one front?
I recently got one to but did no styling yet, do you know the botanical name for this one?
I noticed a lighter green, belongs this to this species or is it because of a shaded position of the tree?
Ah Toni got in, so this is a Baccata, what about the color?
Sunip Wink

sunip

Back to top Go down

Post  jersanct Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:51 pm

Hello everyone...thanks very much for your comments and advice. I also think the canopy is a bit broad for the trunk at the moment, but the tree was very leggy, so I've styled it as it is, have plucked old needles, and will expect a ton of back-budding. At the next styling, I can sort this out.

As for the 'T' a few of you mentioned, are we talking about the T slanting to the left, formed by the trunk and the first two branches?

Mr. Tickle, I would never disagree with you on the tree identification, but both of my teachers, who both not only told me it was Japanese but identified its home region, probably would. I do know for certain that it was a Japanese import, as well. So, I plead ignorance, personally, but I hope my teachers know what they're talking about. I have no idea if there are significant differences between a standard Japanese yew and a Niigata yew?

Thank you again for looking. Please feel free to continue to comment.
jersanct
jersanct

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:21 pm

Hi Chris... I still reckon its Taxus Baccatta Cool

the only reference I could find for Niigata Yew is Here Reference: Brand: Yumé [yew mé] and there is not a tree species in site Cool Niigata Yew... sounds a bit like snake oil. clown

Do I need to get my coat?

Back to top Go down

Post  landerloos Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:30 pm

From what I can see in the pics, your rear is your front, live vein nice and visible also the dead parts get attention, you would have to improve the jin though in that position.

I also thinks its a baccata.

Peter
landerloos
landerloos

Back to top Go down

Post  jersanct Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:50 pm

Try googling Taxus caespitosa...I'd post a link but am not smart enough to figure out how to do it on my smartphone. Native to Russia, Korea, and Japan, including Niigata prefecture.
jersanct
jersanct

Back to top Go down

Post  jersanct Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:53 pm

jersanct
jersanct

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:31 pm

i think you have a yew tree that may have been from japan, and maybe even have been dug up from niigata - but i'm pretty sure the species of yew that was dug up was taxus bacata -that would make your teachers accurate enough to carry on charging for their services. ! Laughing

i really dont think the tree is anything like taxus cuspidata though- the actual japanese yew, as the leaves are completely different - cuspidatas have olive shorter very erect needles and more silver bark. the link in the post above is a very close relative of cuspidata that shows slightly different growth habits - the appearance of whorled leaves on the stems etc, but your tree has flat planes of dark green long leaves on reddish bark - for me 100% a bacata,, - that may have come from japan.

you could easily reduce the foliage more though to get the crown and branches smaller though- as long as you leave just 8 or 10 actual actual leaves on each stalk you will get plenty of inner buds where you need them - leaving the crown too big just means the new buds will still be a long way out from the trunk.

who are your teachers out of curiosity - are they part of the ibc happy family?

cheers Marcus
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  jersanct Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:57 pm

Hello Marcus...please call the tree whatever you please. Nothing seems to get the forum more excited than debating whether someone has identified a tree correctly or not. My teachers are Marco Invernizzi and Michael Hagedorn. Marco not only identified the tree but described to me the peculiarities of its natural growth habits, so, considering that he has seen the tree in person, he certainly seemed hoodwinked into thinking it was a specific variety of yew very familiar to him from his time in Japan. I certainly don't know enough to argue with him.

As for leaving the shoots longer, thank you for your advice. Michael and I just decided to leave them longer for now, probably out of an overabundance of caution. Again, I deferred to someone who knew a lot more than I do. Definitely I agree that the longer-term plan matches your suggestion.
jersanct
jersanct

Back to top Go down

Post  jersanct Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:12 pm

Meant to add...if I believed in smileys, I would have added several. I honestly like the tree whether it's from Niigata or Madagascar, so everyone can call it whatever they like. I truly appreciate everyone's input.
jersanct
jersanct

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:43 pm

Marco Invernizzi and Michael Hagedorn... Nice... Great teachers you're lucky that you have access to these guys.

Back to top Go down

Post  jersanct Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:48 pm

Yes, Tony, I'm very fortunate. Some day something they try to teach me might even get through!
jersanct
jersanct

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:52 pm

jersanct wrote:Meant to add...if I believed in smileys, I would have added several. I honestly like the tree whether it's from Niigata or Madagascar, so everyone can call it whatever they like. I truly appreciate everyone's input.

well said, the appreciation comes from the tree and how it makes you feel - and i can tell this one gives you lots of pleasure. enjoy putting your own mark on it over future stylings. if its anything like lots of our trees it will go through quite a few re-styles before you finish, it may even go cascade !!

cheers Marcus
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  will baddeley Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:35 am

Hello Chris. I was at Capel Manor show a couple of months back and was looking at a stand of imported trees. I saw a yamadori tree that I thought was Baccata and it turned out to be a Japanese variety I had never heard of.
will baddeley
will baddeley

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:32 am

will baddeley wrote:Hello Chris. I was at Capel Manor show a couple of months back and was looking at a stand of imported trees. I saw a yamadori tree that I thought was Baccata and it turned out to be a Japanese variety I had never heard of.

hi Will, i think there are quite a few confusing yews - i tried to find some hard and fast identifiers between baccatta and cuspidatta before posting earlier and it was difficult - they were using dna and microscopic slices of cells to find proveable differences ! This then became even more tricky as both trees cross polinate to create a natural hybrid. The trees' owner has exactly the right outlook on it - it is a lovely piece of yew tree material that came from Japan.

was the mystery yew on Lees stand?

cheers Marcus
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  will baddeley Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:00 pm

marcus watts wrote:
will baddeley wrote:Hello Chris. I was at Capel Manor show a couple of months back and was looking at a stand of imported trees. I saw a yamadori tree that I thought was Baccata and it turned out to be a Japanese variety I had never heard of.

hi Will, i think there are quite a few confusing yews - i tried to find some hard and fast identifiers between baccatta and cuspidatta before posting earlier and it was difficult - they were using dna and microscopic slices of cells to find proveable differences ! This then became even more tricky as both trees cross polinate to create a natural hybrid. The trees' owner has exactly the right outlook on it - it is a lovely piece of yew tree material that came from Japan.

cheers Marcus

Hello Marcus. Yes the tree was on Lee's stand. It was not a particularly healthy looking tree either, which is unusual for Lee.
will baddeley
will baddeley

Back to top Go down

Post  landerloos Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:50 pm

will baddeley wrote:
marcus watts wrote:

cheers Marcus

Hello Marcus. Yes the tree was on Lee's stand. It was not a particularly healthy looking tree either, which is unusual for Lee.

Some yew turn fallcolors, maybe it was that Will?

Peter
landerloos
landerloos

Back to top Go down

Post  will baddeley Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:25 pm

Hello Peter. No it wasn't a brown/red colour, it was very pale green/yellow.
will baddeley
will baddeley

Back to top Go down

Post  sunip Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:02 pm

will baddeley wrote:Hello Peter. No it wasn't a brown/red colour, it was very pale green/yellow.
Hello all,
I was asking about yew color earlier.
The one i bought some days ago has that pale green/yellow color, what made me think of something
i read somewhere about shadow leafs of yew that are lighter in color,
i remember advise was given to be careful with positioning in the full sun in the first season.
But then those shade leaves look different when i look at a big yew in my garden,
maybe it is just this sort of yew, some sort of cuspidata or baccata?
Or could it be heavy spraying with some chemical?
Sunip

sunip

Back to top Go down

Post  coh Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:51 pm

Neat tree, I think you could make a nice front out of many of those views. I actually like what you had originally thought would be the front...trunk moves dramatically and the deadwood looks good from that angle. I was playing around with photoshop and wound up with this...admittedly crude but I think something along these lines could work well. Someone else could undoubtedly come up with a nicer, more refined canopy than my rudimentary skills will allow at this time.

Japanese Yew, First Styling Yew310

Chris
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Post  jersanct Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:01 pm

Thank you very much, Chris. That is an attractive virtual, and it was very much what I saw in the tree, too...when I bought the tree, I thought-- mistakenly, I was assured by both of my teachers--that I was buying it specifically for the quality of the deadwood from this angle! I think they have convinced me, though, that the front I have used has more interesting trunk movement and still retains nice deadwood features. The tree from my/your chosen front is maybe more "standard"...I think that's what Marco and Michael have tried to communicate to me.

I still can change my mind some day!

Thank you again for commenting.
jersanct
jersanct

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next