Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Black Olive problems..

3 posters

Go down

Black Olive problems.. Empty Black Olive problems..

Post  Joe Hatfield Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:24 am

I have a black olive that is losing foliage. I thought at first it was due to over watering because the leaves were getting darker and then falling off. I corrected my watering habits and it seemed to continue to loose leaves. I noticed that the falling leaves would "dangle" before dropping as if suspended by a fine web. So figuring it was a bug. I began to treat it for critters with some mild dish soap, misting it several times a day. I do know it had a large infestation when I first got it ( 4 months ago) and thought I had cleared it up. I do not see any critters.

The tree is being house indoors near a sunny window. It is not close enough to dry the tree out.

New leaves grow healthy and abundant and others (new and old )are turning and dieing. This is my first black olive attempt and I'm hoping it's something simple I'm missing. ANY IDEAS??

Thank you.
Joe Hatfield
Joe Hatfield

Back to top Go down

Black Olive problems.. Empty environmental stress

Post  Garykk Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:58 am

Bucida buceras or spinosa? If there ever was a tree that had a propensity to drop leaves it would be spinosa. Changes in light levels, temperatures, water levels, the use of some chemicals, can trigger a total leaf drop esp. with spinosa. Hang in there as it is going to get a little experience and getting use to. I have hundreds and thousands of little green things under my spinosa as well now that you mention it. Spring leaf flush has officially started.

__gary

Garykk

Back to top Go down

Black Olive problems.. Empty Re: Black Olive problems..

Post  irene_b Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:24 pm

Joe Hatfield wrote:I have a black olive that is losing foliage. I thought at first it was due to over watering because the leaves were getting darker and then falling off. I corrected my watering habits and it seemed to continue to loose leaves. I noticed that the falling leaves would "dangle" before dropping as if suspended by a fine web. So figuring it was a bug. I began to treat it for critters with some mild dish soap, misting it several times a day. I do know it had a large infestation when I first got it ( 4 months ago) and thought I had cleared it up. I do not see any critters.

The tree is being house indoors near a sunny window. It is not close enough to dry the tree out.

New leaves grow healthy and abundant and others (new and old )are turning and dieing. This is my first black olive attempt and I'm hoping it's something simple I'm missing. ANY IDEAS??

Thank you.

This tree needs to be Outside...
In Shade and less misting just good deep watering.
Irene

irene_b

Back to top Go down

Post  Joe Hatfield Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:38 am

Thanks for the insight everyone.
I had moved it outside the day i posted hoping that it will feel a little better. Tree receives morning sun until 11am then is shaded. Seems to be doing better. Less leaves are falling but I have also been treating with mild soap water. It was been quite rainy here with temperatures not really going above mid 70 degrees F.

I feel like its trying to fool me Smile I think my trees are trying to manipulate me. Smile

Good advice. Thank you again!
Joe Hatfield
Joe Hatfield

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down