Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Reborn forest...Murraya Sp.

+16
adam1234
Vance Wood
Jesse
Fore
my nellie
cosmos
bumblebee
hirow08
moyogijohn
Robert Steven
coh
bucknbonsai
marcus watts
Mitch Thomas
Sam Ogranaja
Todd Ellis
20 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Reborn forest...Murraya Sp. - Page 3 Empty Re: Reborn forest...Murraya Sp.

Post  Robert Steven Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:52 pm

I try to make base on Marcus' picture.

Reborn forest...Murraya Sp. - Page 3 Marcus10

What we see in nature might be interesting and unique, but it doesn't mean beautiful when turn into bonsai as we need to give the artistic touch. So here is my simulation..and I crop the picture frame to show the correspondance to the shallow container to be used for better composition.

Reborn forest...Murraya Sp. - Page 3 Marcus11

(one more page for my ego)... Laughing

Last edited by Robert Steven on Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:53 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : mistype)
Robert Steven
Robert Steven

Back to top Go down

Post  cosmos Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:06 pm

I liked the original composition and yet I like your two forest compositions even more. They are more classical. Thanks for sharing.

Cosmos
cosmos
cosmos

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:12 pm

Robert Steven wrote: ... ... (my ego).. Laughing
... ... (one more page for my ego)... Laughing

Yes, you are right Sir!
Too much talking about egos lately on the IBC Laughing

I feel much obliged to you for each and every one piece of advice that you share. Thank you!
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:22 pm

Robert Steven wrote:Nice sketch Jun...
I think if the silhouette is formed rather irregular could be better, also avoid the same distance of each tree.. (my ego).. Laughing

I have a bigger ego (it's nine pages now)...I have an excuse and I won't admit my mistake hehehe Razz Excuse---It was one of my first drawings of forest just few months since I started bonsai.
,,,,But continue teaching my dear teacher and we will continue listening to you.

...Thanks!

regards,
jun study

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:32 pm

cosmos wrote:I liked the original composition and yet I like your two forest compositions even more. They are more classical. Thanks for sharing.

Cosmos

Just say it Cosmos! It's too ordinary right? hehehe. But thanks man! I am not satisfied with my work yet. classical (ordinary),.. like they always say here---"not my cup of coffee... ( or tea)."

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:29 pm

i have been busy this week

i made a slab

Reborn forest...Murraya Sp. - Page 3 001800x424

Reborn forest...Murraya Sp. - Page 3 005800x408

then i have been planting trees on it Very Happy ,

the funny bit is i made sure not to look at this thread since i put the picture of the real forest up - this way Roberts and Juns skilled ideas have not been in my mind while i was planting - this let the trees decide the place they liked on the slab (i hope). My bonsai forest has become a forest that i hope invites you in to get lost - it goes back a long long way Very Happy

just managed a quick picture before it got too dark
Reborn forest...Murraya Sp. - Page 3 011800x638

Reborn forest...Murraya Sp. - Page 3 012800x533

there are 31 of the trunks from the original material in the planting
this is just the first day of the beech forest, now the years of pruning ahead will see it develop as i see it in my mind (if i'm lucky) Laughing

I think i will make a japanese maple forest like Roberts view of the real one..............thankyou both for the time you took to look for the sketch and do photoshop cheers

Last edited by marcus watts on Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  Robert Steven Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:33 pm

Nice work Marcus..we are all getting ceazy...and now I am wondering if I should continue to feed this post as there might be people complaining our egos... Twisted Evil
Robert Steven
Robert Steven

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:15 pm

Robert Steven wrote:Nice work Marcus..we are all getting ceazy...and now I am wondering if I should continue to feed this post as there might be people complaining our egos... Twisted Evil

thanks Robert - i am really happy with it and cant wait for daylight again tomorrow to add a bit more moss.

I think we should only feed this post for the time it takes our forest groups to mature and grow........ Very Happy - 100 pages would be within our reach i think Twisted Evil
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:28 pm

Well done!!!
very nice work Marcus. It is going to be an awesome forest when the branches develops.

regards,
jun Smile

Hi Robert.

I think there is no debate needed with the issue of ego. people are learning here, even those who do not post in this thread. Marcus and I are providing the teaching tools/materials, you are providing the knowledge and insight not just for us (though, we are the lucky guys getting the actual forest being designed with the insight of Robert Steven) but for other readers as well.

...this thread as I can see it is providing actual guidelines for forest/group planting, with different variations in style and is a very healthy thread so far.

So, guys,. Razz . Don't be shy to post your forest here, take the opportunity that Robert is helping out (hang in there Robert, more customers coming hehehe), and I hope others will help out too in the designs.
Forest planting doesn't need to be expensive. But requires knowledge and artistry to make it convincing and one set of materials can be change all of a sudden with striking effect than the previous composition of the same set of materials.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Robert Steven Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:57 am

What I think can be improved :

- Slightly bigger tray to give more space on both sides and front would be perfect.
- Form more irregular shape of the ground edges...more curving line (avoid the neat round shape).
- Form more terracing contour on the land/hill..up and down, with the green moss formation as well.
- Make an overlapping between the left hill and the right one to form a gap, this will create a better perspective illusion/ to draw the right group further to the back.

Then the rest is simply refine the ramification...

Good luck buddy...
Robert Steven
Robert Steven

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:43 am

Robert Steven wrote:What I think can be improved :

- Slightly bigger tray to give more space on both sides and front would be perfect.
- Form more irregular shape of the ground edges...more curving line (avoid the neat round shape).
- Form more terracing contour on the land/hill..up and down, with the green moss formation as well.
- Make an overlapping between the left hill and the right one to form a gap, this will create a better perspective illusion/ to draw the right group further to the back.

Then the rest is simply refine the ramification...

Good luck buddy...

thankyou so much for the time you are taking with us,

it was funny yesterday - before i started planting the slab felt quite large - after 2 of the main trees went on i knew i needed more slab Very Happy
i drew the shape of this slab on the work bench so i will work on a new extended version from the original pattern.

the bigger slab will let me create the natural iregular shape that i know looks fantastic on a forest planting too.

totally agree in the new light of day - in particular the right side is a rather too perfect mound - i used differnt types of moss but it needs real contours in the soil as well. In fact a little more work on the right side group will be good as you say - i want the medium trees closer together and all of them further back.

i will work on a new slab next week as i would like the forest settled in its final form long before spring - then it will grow strongly and i can begin the pruning to make nice ramification. the bigger slab will give more room for roots so better growth too.

i cant thank you enough for sharing what you see - cheers Marcus
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:17 pm

Update...

I think one of the problem for this group planting was the pot its in...so I tried a new approach, I built a slab, so that I will be able to manipulate the trees positions based on Robert's virt. And when the slab matures, it will get a more natural look.

Reborn forest...Murraya Sp. - Page 3 Dsc_2412

Reborn forest...Murraya Sp. - Page 3 Dsc_2413

Reborn forest...Murraya Sp. - Page 3 Dsc_2415

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Fore Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:59 pm

Marcus, what material did you use to create that slab? I've read where some have used a 50/50 mix of cement and paper machete. Supposedly lighter and still be molded as desired. I'd like to try making my own and am curious.

I too am learning a lot on this forest planting thread. Thanks Robert, all your suggestions have been great!

Chris
Fore
Fore

Back to top Go down

Post  Jesse Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:15 pm

jun wrote:Hi Robert.

I think there is no debate needed with the issue of ego. people are learning here, even those who do not post in this thread. Marcus and I are providing the teaching tools/materials, you are providing the knowledge and insight not just for us (though, we are the lucky guys getting the actual forest being designed with the insight of Robert Steven) but for other readers as well.

...this thread as I can see it is providing actual guidelines for forest/group planting, with different variations in style and is a very healthy thread so far.

So, guys,. Razz . Don't be shy to post your forest here, take the opportunity that Robert is helping out (hang in there Robert, more customers coming hehehe), and I hope others will help out too in the designs.
Forest planting doesn't need to be expensive. But requires knowledge and artistry to make it convincing and one set of materials can be change all of a sudden with striking effect than the previous composition of the same set of materials.

regards,
jun Smile

I'm one of those learning--this has been one of my favorite threads on IBC in that its emphasis--forest plantings--is one I have been drawn to from the start. I'm hoping your sharing and discussion will continue with respect to how to make and refine forest plantings.

I do have a small forest in a shallow pot made up of Portulaccaria Afra that I will try to gather a couple of pictures of to post. It is not nearly on par with what has been posted in this thread but I would love to get any specific thoughts on improving it. I have already learned so much through the critiques of these incredible forests and the virtuals by Robert Steven have made my jaw drop. I'm realizing that while I appreciate bonsai very much and enjoy it....I do not have it like some of you guys/gals do--it being the ability to envision, create, and organize material to magnificent levels. Maybe that will develop to some degree in time but either way, I love seeing your work and appreciate it very much.

Please continue to share your expertise. I'm sure I'm not the only shy 'lurker' learning from the discussion you guys have had to this point.
Jesse
Jesse

Back to top Go down

Post  Robert Steven Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:27 am

Thanks Jesse. You can also view my regular critique on www.bonsaibark.com

Happy New Year...
Robert Steven
Robert Steven

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:20 am

Just an update IBC:

Let the trees grow wild separately. and grew more smaller trees and rethink the design... bonsai really is a very slow process..hehe.

Reborn forest...Murraya Sp. - Page 3 19750610

Reborn forest...Murraya Sp. - Page 3 10114310

Reborn forest...Murraya Sp. - Page 3 19041911

Reborn forest...Murraya Sp. - Page 3 17793510

regards,
jun  Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:06 pm

Much better  Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:32 pm

Thanks Yvonne.

Summer time is here, more trees to work on.

regards,
jun  Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Vance Wood Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:29 pm

Spectacular piece of work, I don't know what else to say, it defies description.
Vance Wood
Vance Wood

Back to top Go down

Post  adam1234 Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:18 pm

This is probably the best naturalistic forest in the fairy tale style ever on IBC. Very nice effect and I love it Jun.

Cheers,
Adam

adam1234

Back to top Go down

Post  kauaibonsai Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:53 am

awesome change, jun. this planting gets better and better.

best wishes, sam

kauaibonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed May 28, 2014 1:06 pm

A very late thank you for the nice comments.

Update with leaves.

Reborn forest...Murraya Sp. - Page 3 10377010

regards,
jun  Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  NickJ Wed May 28, 2014 1:37 pm

Wow that is amazing! Thankyou for sharing Jun and very well done! I hope one day in the distant future I can make something that looks half as good as this. Also, I think the deer is a nice touch Smile

NickJ

Back to top Go down

Post  BobbyLane Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:08 pm

Outstanding final result! Ive learnt a lot from this thread Wink
BobbyLane
BobbyLane

Back to top Go down

Post  Indo Andreas Tue May 10, 2016 11:05 am

Very nice post, very informative.

Indo Andreas

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3