Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Reborn forest...Murraya Sp.

+16
adam1234
Vance Wood
Jesse
Fore
my nellie
cosmos
bumblebee
hirow08
moyogijohn
Robert Steven
coh
bucknbonsai
marcus watts
Mitch Thomas
Sam Ogranaja
Todd Ellis
20 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Reborn forest...Murraya Sp. Empty Reborn forest...Murraya Sp.

Post  Guest Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:42 am

Hi IBC. I decided to disassemble my hill forest due to weight factor. Though it can be lifted by four person, I found it to heavy for it's size. I am planning to make a lighter hill slab with my formula/mixture, which is more than 10X lighter.

Here was my beloved forest...
Reborn forest...Murraya Sp. Dsc_0823

Here it is disassembled.
Reborn forest...Murraya Sp. Dsc_1624

Here is the first forest I made out of the trees.
Reborn forest...Murraya Sp. Dsc_1711

...I made two forest planting out of it.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Reborn forest...Murraya Sp. Empty Re: Reborn forest...Murraya Sp.

Post  Guest Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:45 am

Here is the other group planting...

Reborn forest...Murraya Sp. Dsc_1712

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:22 pm

Two great new forests: one for you, one for me!!! Laughing
Good decision I think to separate them Very Happy . I bet your friends are relieved. Bagpiper
I really like the pot for the first grouping. Are these stoneware pots?
Good luck with your slab project. I think you'll feel better when the forests are remerged.

Best,
Todd

Last edited by Todd Ellis on Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:38 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:36 pm

Hi Todd.

Thanks!
Sure, Visit me and I'll let you choose one of the forest. Smile

Btw. the pots are designed by me, and not stone ware.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sam Ogranaja Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:38 pm

Great job Jun!!!! I like both compositions. Keep up the great work.

Have a great week!!!!
Sam
Sam Ogranaja
Sam Ogranaja

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:02 pm

Thanks Sam!

I'm glad you like the compositions.

have a wonderful week too!

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mitch Thomas Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:20 pm

Hi Jun
Good call!
I totaly agree, you did the right thing in making two forest out of the grouping.
Mitch

Mitch Thomas

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:48 pm

Hi Jun,
the two sets of trees totally complement each other now - both groups match nicely. before the straight trees and the curved ones did not blend together as well into one big group, now they make two really good seperate bonsai.

cheers Marcus
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:11 am

Mitch and Marcus,

Thanks to both of you,,,,,,but, I still find the two compositions too common and simple. I am desperate to create a group planting which is really interesting and unique. Sad . ..like my former hillside forest or something even better. So my quest for better material and design continues.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  bucknbonsai Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:48 pm

Jun,
If they are not stoneware, what are they? And are these what you refer to as 10x lighter than the original slab? Is it fiberglass?
bucknbonsai
bucknbonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  coh Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:49 pm

The original composition was definitely interesting and more unique, but I do like the 2 smaller groups that you've put together. What are the approximate dimensions of the second one?

Chris
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:34 pm

jun wrote:but, I still find the two compositions too common and simple. I am desperate to create a group planting which is really interesting and unique.So my quest for better material and design continues.
jun Smile

hi Jun - i know what you mean about wanting a unique planting - and for me the interesting trees from this forest are the curved multi trunk ones rather than the straight ones. I think one way to mix trees of a very different trunk style would be to make a verticle upright pot so you create the side of a steep forest rather than the flat forest floor - then you could mix many trunk styles - cascading down from above, twisted on the slopes and growing straight up from below - this would be a unique planting and give you great fun finding the material

best wishes Marcus
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:56 pm

Thanks Marcus.

yes, that's quite close to what I am thinking. a mixture of trees with different characters in just one single composition. In my latest travel in our Islands here I saw some inspiring natural tree formations, where tall trees ( I assume younger growth) bended trees (Older trees) and few cascading trees by the cliff, and there are even some tall "literati" trees penetrating above the canopy of the forest are all present in just small Islet.
..I just hope I'll get the "mood" right. Quite often than not, when pushing things and ideas too far it "fails" (to the eyes of the majority), not because it is not natural but because more people got biased mind set towards the normal/regular things (bonsai), and see new things as unnatural and unacceptable.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:17 pm

Chris,
the second forest is the smaller one- Ht 30" aprx, length 30", width 16"

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:18 pm

bucknbonsai wrote:Jun,
If they are not stoneware, what are they? And are these what you refer to as 10x lighter than the original slab? Is it fiberglass?

that is a trade secret for now...hehehe Wink

...but I'll send you PM if you are interested.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Robert Steven Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:37 am

jun wrote:Thanks Marcus.

yes, that's quite close to what I am thinking. a mixture of trees with different characters in just one single composition. In my latest travel in our Islands here I saw some inspiring natural tree formations, where tall trees ( I assume younger growth) bended trees (Older trees) and few cascading trees by the cliff, and there are even some tall "literati" trees penetrating above the canopy of the forest are all present in just small Islet.
..I just hope I'll get the "mood" right. Quite often than not, when pushing things and ideas too far it "fails" (to the eyes of the majority), not because it is not natural but because more people got biased mind set towards the normal/regular things (bonsai), and see new things as unnatural and unacceptable.

regards,
jun Smile

What we see in nature might be unique and interesting, but not always beautiful when transform into bonsai.
As I always advise, when you have obsession before start working, you have made the fist basic mistake. .. tongue

For me, I like the fist design..with some improvement, can be more unique. I don't like the third one, but the last one looks good. Just my personal thought, as usual Jun... Twisted Evil

Last edited by Robert Steven on Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:38 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : mistype)
Robert Steven
Robert Steven

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:37 pm

Thanks Robert.

I'll be waiting for your critique and further written discourse on this forest, Don't be gentle, be harsh and rude if you need to I'll take it with open heart.then I'll share it again here in IBC , some of us here are more than willing to learn more..

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Reborn forest...Murraya Sp. Empty Reborn forest murraya

Post  moyogijohn Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:48 pm

JUN,,,bEEN AWAY FOR 4 DAYS,,So hadn,t seen this one.. I like the seperation of the forest..now the tree on the right semi cascade look a lot more stable to me good work take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  Robert Steven Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:20 am

Jun, with your permission, then I will try to pretend as an expert ... Cool

Reborn forest...Murraya Sp. Jun_il10

As you were talking about creating a unique design, I think your first design can be turned into it.
For me, the unique part is the clump one you put on the right side with its stretching branch on the right. I want to use this feature as the talking point, the point of interest to depict a more logical natural fact. The hilly contour is another interesting part, very creative.
In my opinion, the way you put this one on the right side, has biased the focal point of the overal composition. In forest or grouping style bonsai, the focal point suppose to be positioned at off-center, then the the viewing flow should flow from the heavier part (focal point) to the lighter part. But on your initial composition, the focal point is not very clear, there is kind of competition between the two group, they look separated from two different character sources, consequently it lacks of unity.

So my suggestion is as the below simulation picture :

Reborn forest...Murraya Sp. Jun_il11

I reposition the clump one on to the hill, combine with one of the tall single tree to create an integrated focal point. Another purpose is to emphasize the the talking point, the stretching branch over the hill side..I think this is the uniqueness of idea.

Use a slighly bigger slab to give more space on the right and the front to create better perspective. Then you can draw the right side contour to the back, overlapped by the hill to create gap for perspective illusion.
Empty space is very important, so I only use the small size tree (you have it from your other design) on the right side to show that this tree is further on the back.

You don't have to agree with me Jun..this is just my thought... Laughing
Robert Steven
Robert Steven

Back to top Go down

Post  hirow08 Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:14 am

Wow! That is indeed a brilliant idea. Shocked
Its now more pleasing to the eye.

hirow08

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:36 am

Thanks Robert,

I am in the process of making the hilly slab. I will combine your solution with it.
...but I have to reduce the size of the tree on the bottom or look for some suitable size from my stocks with similar character.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Robert Steven Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:11 am

Thanks Hirow.
Jun, if you can find a small clump style for it would be perfect...
Robert Steven
Robert Steven

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:54 am

blimey robert - that is excelent work with photoshop - to decontruct and replant the entire forest so well. and with depth ! i bow down my friend cheers

what software do you use?

i understand your explantation of the importance that the main tree is the focal point that draws the eye to a forest planting, especially when the trees used are individually seen. if a forest is styled with a great many trunks but the foliage styled to give a 'single' image, each branch adding to one canopy does this still apply ?

thanks

Marcus
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  Robert Steven Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:21 am

Thanks Marcus. I use PhotoShop for the simulation.

The focal point can be one single tree or a group of trees to form the most dominant part.
About the foliation, it depends on either you create a close-up view or a long distance view forest. If you create a close-up view, then the foliation should be formed more as individual tree with clearer details; but if it's a long distance view, than the overall silhouette is more important.
Also depends on the formation of the trees, if a group of similar style trees are placed closer together, then their foliation will be formed as a single tree.

Hope this answer to your question...
Robert Steven
Robert Steven

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:33 am

Robert Steven wrote:Thanks Marcus. I use PhotoShop for the simulation.

The focal point can be one single tree or a group of trees to form the most dominant part.
About the foliation, it depends on either you create a close-up view or a long distance view forest. If you create a close-up view, then the foliation should be formed more as individual tree with clearer details; but if it's a long distance view, than the overall silhouette is more important.
Also depends on the formation of the trees, if a group of similar style trees are placed closer together, then their foliation will be formed as a single tree.

Hope this answer to your question...

yes it does perfectly, thankyou - i had not considered the close up or long distance view when trying to work out how to style the foliage so it looks right. - i will take some pictures of my project and start a new thread unless jun doesnt mind them going on his thread - i have 2 groups that individually are poor and i want to make one, they are deciduous (all beech trees) and i wanted the bare branches to all complement each other as one tree - but about 30 trunks i think.

thanks again Marcus
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next