Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to harvest and grow Lacebark elm seedlings?

4 posters

Go down

How to harvest and grow Lacebark elm seedlings? Empty How to harvest and grow Lacebark elm seedlings?

Post  Todd Ellis Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:08 pm

Hello,
I have a large Lacebark elm tree (bonsai) which is full of seeds. How does one harvest the seeds and "treat" them for planting in the Spring? Do I just pull them off of the tree when I think they are ready? Then, how should I store them?
Thank you for your advice.
Todd

This is the tree, the tallest one in the light blue rectangle:
How to harvest and grow Lacebark elm seedlings? 100_3629
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

How to harvest and grow Lacebark elm seedlings? Empty Re: How to harvest and grow Lacebark elm seedlings?

Post  drgonzo Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:30 pm

Elms generally don't need any sort of fancy stratification process. Seeds collected in spring will sprout the same year, fall collected seeds should be dried a bit then put in a sealed container, (I would pop them in a zip lock and put it in the fridge) then planted out in beds in the spring. American Elm will stay dormant until the NEXT season, and is really the only odd ball of the elms in this way.
You can give elms a cool stratification if you like (around 40 degrees for 2-3 months and this will help germination) but your fridge in a ziplock will basically achieve the same goal.
Elms are easy!
-Jay
drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

How to harvest and grow Lacebark elm seedlings? Empty Re: How to harvest and grow Lacebark elm seedlings?

Post  Todd Ellis Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:43 pm

Thanks Jay!
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  drgonzo Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:18 am

Its a lot of fun to do seedling forest plantings rather than clones, each individual tree will have slightly different genetics and this can make for interesting variations particularly with regards to fall color. Some people don't like it when some of their forest is red, other parts yellow, and so on, but I think it happens to be awesome looking!

I'm doing American Hornbeam, paper bark Maple, two different Japanese Maples, fern-leaf Beech and copper Beech seeds this winter as well as Finger Lakes Larch seeds in the spring. All collected locally fresh this Fall.

Good luck!
-Jay
drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Post  Gary Swiech Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:43 pm

I've grown Ulmus parvifolia from seed. I have a nice grove of them.

The seeds were brown when picked them off a tree in Madison, WI.

All I did was choose a pot and fill it with the my soil mix for Chinese elm and planted the seeds maybe 30 seeds in all.

The next Spring they exploded and I bet I had 80% germination. I planted some out and kept the best 7 and made a grove.

Easy as punch.
Gary Swiech
Gary Swiech

Back to top Go down

Post  Rui Marques Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:33 pm

Show us your grove, Gary!
Rui Marques
Rui Marques

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down