Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Question about the use of a figurine with stone and suiban

3 posters

Go down

Question about the use of a figurine with stone and suiban Empty Question about the use of a figurine with stone and suiban

Post  Tom Simonyi Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:44 pm

This is going to sound a bit off the wall, but I have been experimenting with a stone I have had for quite some time. It is a believable small mountain stone imo and has been on a daiza for many years. I have a small unglazed suiban that I placed it in and I think it looks good as an "island." I think the composition would be enhanced by a very small boat figurine....it would need to be about 1/2 inch tall and an inch in length to be in scale...I have found some on the web that are in the 1-2 inch size range....too big I think. The stone is 3 inches in height and the base measures 4 inches in width. The suiban measures 10 inches in width (inside diameter) and when full, the water depth is 5/16". Thanks in advance for your time.

Regards,
Tom
Tom Simonyi
Tom Simonyi

Back to top Go down

Question about the use of a figurine with stone and suiban Empty Re: Question about the use of a figurine with stone and suiban

Post  sunip Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:23 pm

Hi Tom,

Why not a funagata ishi a boat shaped stone?

Sunip

sunip

Back to top Go down

Question about the use of a figurine with stone and suiban Empty staging is the key

Post  stonener Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:48 am

Tom scale range is fine, try
Suiban with sand and stone as 1st unit on table,
left 1/3 of display
Boat on thin wood oval, circle or rectangle,
as 2nd unit, right 1/3 of display,
stagger units, 1st back, 2nd forward,
again in thirds, front to back.
one picture/thousand words
Question about the use of a figurine with stone and suiban Migrat10

stonener

Back to top Go down

Question about the use of a figurine with stone and suiban Empty Re: Question about the use of a figurine with stone and suiban

Post  Guest Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:30 am

Hi Tom

A small boat is a nice idea, as the suiban maybe is a bit too long for the stone, the ship will take up a little of the too much space....the suiban should be about the doubble lenght of the stone.
Place the stone in the even sand, and afterwards the ship.
The ship will indicate the sice of the island, as the figurine show the scale....your island will be quit tiny, but this is OK.
I too have a small suiban with mountainstone and ship in my house, I enjoy it very much.
I have a extra ship...0.5 inc. long Smile

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom Simonyi Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:51 pm

Thank you all very much for your suggestions...in the meantime I thought a picture might help.

Thanks again.

Regards,
TomQuestion about the use of a figurine with stone and suiban Stone_10
Tom Simonyi
Tom Simonyi

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:28 pm

Hi Tom

It is a lovely little display. And the mountain looks big. It could be a shame to add, a too big ship....better leave it, as it is.
You can fill sand in the suiban in a ligth collour, before adding water and the stone......the light sand will give more contrast, and the stone will be placed higher up, to look taler and bigger....IMHO Smile

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom Simonyi Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:12 pm

Thanks for the kind words, Yvonne...I agree with you regarding the composition as it is....the addition of sand is a good idea. Many thanks and best regards,
Tom
Tom Simonyi
Tom Simonyi

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom Simonyi Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:10 pm

Here is the composition, redone after Yvonne's very helpful suggestions. I think it is improved. Thoughts are welcome as always.
TomQuestion about the use of a figurine with stone and suiban Stone_11
Tom Simonyi
Tom Simonyi

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:19 pm

Hi Tom

It looks very nice....This is also a way to display the small mountain, and at the same time add some contrast.

My intension was to fill up the suiban with the sand, and then add the water, leaving only one mm. of waterdept.

Anyway, your display look very nice.

Kind regards yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom Simonyi Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:33 pm

Thanks Yvonne...good hearing from you...actually what I ended up doing was utilizing a clear epoxy base mixed with some sand....I "built" a "sandbar" with some texture and topography....to separate the water from the "island." I am glad you like the composition.
Tom
Tom Simonyi
Tom Simonyi

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:07 pm

AHA.....
I did not notice the water at the look....his is really clever. I like it.

Kind regards Yvonne....actully looking at the stone. It is better/ more correct placed in the other side of the suiban.

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom Simonyi Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:07 pm

Thanks, Yvonne...I am glad you like it... Best regards, Tom
Tom Simonyi
Tom Simonyi

Back to top Go down

Question about the use of a figurine with stone and suiban Empty back to the future

Post  stonener Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:47 pm

Great News Tom,
since there was no problem with scale range,
in your display are you still going to use boat?,
or have you giving up on the idea! (2 units)...
*caution sand & water create scale*

Last edited by stonener on Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:01 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : warning)

stonener

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down