Another rant from Billy

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Another rant from Billy

Post  Billy M. Rhodes on Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:33 pm

Long threads.
Some of our threads run over 30 pages.
Please start a new thread under a similar name.
I know I can click on the last page from the forum page and get to the most recent items on the tread.
BUT

Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Another rant from Billy

Post  will baddeley on Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:09 pm

Hello Billy. I personally like the continuation and progression of these longer threads and as you say, just go to the last page.

will baddeley

Back to top Go down

Re: Another rant from Billy

Post  fiona on Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:03 pm

Part of the problem with any thread no matter how short or long it may be, is that when people do only go to the last page they often repeat stuff that appeared on earlier pages. This either annoys other readers or results in the same things being said over and over.

I am, however, noting that only two threads have gone over 30 pages and a mere further 3 have gone to 20+ pages. But that is out of 7729 threads so it's not an excessive number. If you look at those longer ones they were mostly threads from potters showing the latest from their kiln or ones which specifically asked for members to contribute examples of a particular style (e.g. broom). I personally don't have a problem with those.

It's when we get to 30+ pages about superthrive or its like that I'll start getting worried. Wink

my website

fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis on Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:47 am

You do get a lot of repetition though in long threads. People fail to read the earlier posts -- or forget -- and say the same thing as someone else (or several someones) has said.

I've been guilty of this myself, but often the longer threads seem to have been caused by a hijacker.

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts on Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:56 am

i think long threads that are made up of current posts are absolutely fine as they tend to be mostly relevant info, its the ones that were started many many months before hand and ran their natural course but then get a new post and bounce back that tend to then be full of repetition, or, as pointed out repetition. Laughing

i think to start a new topic just because a thread is getting longer is a mistake though as the long threads can be some of the better ones - if people just discovering it can be bothered to read the earlier pages that is, otherwise it leads to repetition Twisted Evil

marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona on Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:56 am

Part of the problem with any thread no matter how short or long it may be, is that when people do only go to the last page they often repeat stuff that appeared on earlier pages. This either annoys other readers or results in the same things being said over and over.

my website

fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony on Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:02 am

fiona wrote:Part of the problem with any thread no matter how short or long it may be, is that when people do only go to the last page they often repeat stuff that appeared on earlier pages. This either annoys other readers or results in the same things being said over and over.

Fiona now THAT is funny jocolor

‎"Study me as much as you like, you will never know me, for I differ a hundred ways from what you see me to be. Put yourself behind my eyes, and see me as I see myself, for I have chosen to dwell in a place you cannot see." — Rumi

Visit Tony's Bonsai website

If you Tweet?

Tony

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona on Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:12 pm

Fiona now THAT is funny jocolor

Last edited by fiona on Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

my website

fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona on Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:12 pm

but only for a very short time... Wink

my website

fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  coh on Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:55 am

Well, let's see if we can get this thread to 30 pages!

coh

Back to top Go down

Post  bumblebee on Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:32 pm

Here's my contribution!

Libby Cool

bumblebee

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 1:45 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down