Great Free Suburban Yamadori Material to Collect in East SF Bay , CA(more than I can handle)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Great Free Suburban Yamadori Material to Collect in East SF Bay , CA(more than I can handle)

Post  jonathan e on Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:09 am

To support my bonsai addiction, I work as a designer and project manager for a landscape contractor in the East Bay Area California.

I have access to lots of material that is removed from landscape project sites that would make great yamadori material, but is much more than i have the time or space to use.

At the moment, I have a client who is likely to remove about 1/8 acres worth of 50year old juniperus chinensis material in Moraga, CA, with great old twisty trunks. Please reply to this post or call me at 530-902-2627 if you live in the Bay Area or northern California and would like to get free access to some of this material.

happy hunting,
jonathan


Last edited by jonathan espalin on Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:45 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : make title more specific)

jonathan e
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Great Free Suburban Yamadori Material to Collect in East SF Bay , CA(more than I can handle)

Post  Guest on Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:38 am

jonathan espalin wrote:To support my bonsai addiction, I work as a designer and project manager for a landscape contractor in the East Bay Area California.

I have access to lots of material that is removed from landscape project sites that would make great yamadori material, but is much more than i have the time or space to use.

At the moment, I have a client who is likely to remove about 1/8 acres worth of 50year old juniperus chinensis material in Moraga, CA, with great old twisty trunks. Please reply to this post or call me at 530-902-2627 if you live in the Bay Area or northern California and would like to get free access to some of this material.

happy hunting,
jonathan


Very generous offer Jonathan.

...Got to get my visa ready. Laughing


regards,
jun Smile

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Great Free Suburban Yamadori Material to Collect in East SF Bay , CA(more than I can handle)

Post  newzealandteatree on Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:26 am

Jonathan, you are indeed very generous. That's the way to go for humanity.
Cheers and many happy days bonsa-ing,
CJ

newzealandteatree
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Great Free Suburban Yamadori Material to Collect in East SF Bay , CA(more than I can handle)

Post  Loke Emil on Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:18 pm

HI Jonathan

What a great offer ;-)

However, imagine if you proposed a 'joint venture'...gather some volunteers to collect the lot, have the trees pottet up and have a local bonsai nursery/or landscape company do the aftercare - with you (or your boss) as the main project manager. When the trees are back to health, put them up for auction and donate the money to any non profit organisation within the social area. This could infact become a nice investment in event marketing: joining people, social affaires and business and turn it into a meaningfull event.

The volunteers get one or two trees for the efford.

regards to you
/Loke Emil

Loke Emil
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Great Free Suburban Yamadori Material to Collect in East SF Bay , CA(more than I can handle)

Post  peter keane on Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:21 pm

wish I lived in california....sigh......

peter keane
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Great Free Suburban Yamadori Material to Collect in East SF Bay , CA(more than I can handle)

Post  jonathan e on Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:50 pm

Loke Emil wrote:HI Jonathan

What a great offer ;-)

However, imagine if you proposed a 'joint venture'...gather some volunteers to collect the lot, have the trees pottet up and have a local bonsai nursery/or landscape company do the aftercare - with you (or your boss) as the main project manager. When the trees are back to health, put them up for auction and donate the money to any non profit organisation within the social area. This could infact become a nice investment in event marketing: joining people, social affaires and business and turn it into a meaningfull event.

The volunteers get one or two trees for the efford.

regards to you
/Loke Emil

smart suggestion. wish i had time to try something like that. Any northern california bonsai clubs/nurseries out there like to get involved?

jonathan e
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Great Free Suburban Yamadori Material to Collect in East SF Bay , CA(more than I can handle)

Post  jonathan e on Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:12 am

this seems to be the time that people want to ditch their Old junipers. I just got another client in Oakland that wants another pile of pfitzer (blue-foliaged chinensis) junipers taken away. Similar size and age to the others, though only about 4 plants here. Again, call or message me to get access to these.

jonathan e
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Great Free Suburban Yamadori Material to Collect in East SF Bay , CA(more than I can handle)

Post  Mr. Moody on Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:25 am

Jonathan, any chance you would be willing to send one my way (N. Carolina) or are they too big? I would be of course pay for shipping.

Mr. Moody
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Great Free Suburban Yamadori Material to Collect in East SF Bay , CA(more than I can handle)

Post  jonathan e on Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:04 pm

Mr. Moody wrote:Jonathan, any chance you would be willing to send one my way (N. Carolina) or are they too big? I would be of course pay for shipping.

sorry, the whole reason for this post is that i don't have the time or space to dig and store them all myself, so i was hoping others would do the digging. I am getting two-three trees for me, and the rest is, unfortunately, either going to be collected by someone else or "cleared" and sent to the dump.

thankfully, I have lots of others offering to come and collect some of this material. Maybe they might be able to sell you some.

Lots of landscape contractors remove material that would be suitable for bonsai. In California, lots of 50 year old junipers are ripped out and trashed every day, along with lots of other bonsaiable material. Maybe you should contact landscape companies in your area and offer to dig shrubs for free. Many clients are quite happy with this, since it can save them hundreds or, in this current case, $1500 dollars in "brush clearing" fees. These plants should be sculpture, not trash.

jonathan e
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Great Free Suburban Yamadori Material to Collect in East SF Bay , CA(more than I can handle)

Post  Mr. Moody on Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:18 pm

No problem. I was somewhat expecting that response. Good luck with the ones you get.

Mr. Moody
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Great Free Suburban Yamadori Material to Collect in East SF Bay , CA(more than I can handle)

Post  coh on Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:28 pm

It's a great idea. If I had a stronger back, I'd be contacting local landscapers about doing this.

Chris

coh
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Great Free Suburban Yamadori Material to Collect in East SF Bay , CA(more than I can handle)

Post  jonathan e on Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:47 pm

Hi all. I am meeting Bay Island Bonsai Club there at 10am tomorrow to look things over. Call if you'd like to be included.

jonathan e
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Great Free Suburban Yamadori Material to Collect in East SF Bay , CA(more than I can handle)

Post  Sam Ogranaja on Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:42 pm

jonathan espalin wrote:Hi all. I am meeting Bay Island Bonsai Club there at 10am tomorrow to look things over. Call if you'd like to be included.

Great job Jonathan!!!! I talked to a couple landscapers here locally and they thought I was crazy. After explaining to them, they seemed to understand but nonetheless, I haven't had any calls yet.

Have a great weekend!!!
Sam

Sam Ogranaja
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Great Free Suburban Yamadori Material to Collect in East SF Bay , CA(more than I can handle)

Post  Sponsored content Today at 6:04 am


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum