preserving deciduous deadwood

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Post  bucknbonsai on Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:50 pm

Does anyone have any opinion on preserving very large wounds on deciduous wood? Ive been told tightbond 2 wood glue can be used but im not sure how to apply it (do i mix it with water?, do i put it on dry wood or wet wood?) Ive already bought a wood hardener (almost looks like gasoline, or a deck stain/waterproofer) that leaves behind a shiny surface, Im not sure if I put it on dry wood or wet wood either. And with either product I dont know how frequently you have to reapply or how to change the color of it. I do not want a bright white look to the dead wood, i would like dark brown, so I assume lime sulfur would be inferior to the above 2 products?
thanks

bucknbonsai

Back to top Go down

Re: preserving deciduous deadwood

Post  Billy M. Rhodes on Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:58 pm

The glue could be used to seal a cut that you expect to heal over, it should be applied to dry wood unless the directions on the product say otherwise. (Gorilla Glue needs moisture to work.)

Wood Hardener and deck water proofing are two different things. I have never used the deck water proofing on bonsai.

Wood hardener is meant to applied to dry wood that has rotted, it should applied multiple times until the wood stops soaking it up. It will usually darken the wood some. It can roughed up with steel wool if you don't want the glossy look. I would use it with areas that I never expected to heal over.

Deck water proofing is meant to be applied to new, dry wood to help it resist water.

Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  bucknbonsai on Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:34 pm

thankyou,
Thankyou billy. I was sure to buy the wood hardener and not a waterproofer, based off a similar thread Ive seen on here previously. Ive been told that bark will not grow over soft wood, only hard wood. I know some people only put cut paste around the perimeter of the cut rather than across the whole wound, but if the central portion is not protected, it could rot and the callous would never cover it, is that correct? For this reason it seams to me that a wood hardener product or a diluted glue applied to the whole cut on a tree would be able to act as a wound sealant as well as a wood hardener, thus eliminating the need for ever buying cut paste again, do you agree? Any tips for adding colorant to the preservers?
thanks

bucknbonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  abcd on Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:21 pm

Hello ,
if it is possible to keep dead wood on juniper, for example , it's impossible to preserv dead wood on deciduous wood , and maintain it a long time .
Don't use wood hardener , let time pass to get motchicomi is the best solution for me because it is not artificial.

abcd

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes on Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:38 pm

I think the product you use depends upon a number of things such as the size of the cut, location of the cut, species of the tree, your local conditions of weather, etc.

I don't think you can color the wood hardener product from MinWax that I use. I have never used a watered down glue. I have used the MinWax product and an epoxy product on a large center wood on a Ficus. I have used Gorilla Glue and electrical tape to repair a broken branch.

I sometimes use Cut Paste on smaller cuts more as a cosmetic than anything.

Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  bucknbonsai on Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:43 pm

motchicomi ?

bucknbonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  PaulH on Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:42 pm

Kathy Shaner recommends PC-Petrifier, a water based wood hardener available from Ace Hardware. I haven't tried it yet but it sounds good.

PaulH

Back to top Go down

Post  abcd on Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:38 pm

Motchicomi : Japanese word that characterizes the aging of the trunk, bark, branches, through the natural action of the elements: water, fire, wind

abcd

Back to top Go down

Post  john5555leonard on Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:32 am

hi, one of the best and easiest things you can use is teak oil, and you can use clear water repellant used for brick work matt finish, these give a natural finish, if you want to darken it a little use arbrex , its used for painting wounds on fruit trees, mix it with water till you get the right shade then paint it on, while its still wet wipe it off with a cloth and it gives a graining effect, darker inside and lighter outside. regards john

john5555leonard

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 2:33 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum