Canna products

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Canna products

Post  marcus watts on Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:53 pm

anyone using any of the canna products ??
this one looks interesting
http://www.canna-uk.com/cannazym

and this one also
http://www.canna-uk.com/rhizotonic

i am just getting ready to buy a new halide bulb for the winter and these look very interesting products -

marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Re: Canna products

Post  Gentleman G. on Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:15 pm

Seems very interesting to me! If you decide to use them, please keep us posted with the results.

Gentleman G.

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts on Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:46 pm

will do. i just got back from my local 'hydroponic supplies store' with a liter of the cannazym and 250ml of the rhizotonic.

Popped straight to my local bonsai garden as there was a couple of nice trees in the 'hospital' - a rigida needle juniper and a JWP that was suffering from a customer not repotting for 9 years. We've just drenched the two trees with rhizotonic, the wp in a pot and the rigida moved to a ground bed.

i've just watered all my trees with cannazym as i use totally inorganic soil mixes so by the end of the season there is traces of dead organic muck in the mix - this will be from my feed cakes, the small dead roots from the trees natural growth cycle and lots of dead roots from the summers weeds !! it will be interesting to see if the enzymes will convert this dead matter into compounds the trees can use.

this will be a long term experiment though, so here goes.........

marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Canna Products

Post  bonsaisr on Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:45 am

Does the label on the bottle bottle list all the ingredients? How does it differ from Superthrive?
Iris

bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  Ian Young on Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:59 am

Interesting! I will be very interested to hear how this works for others, but not me yet ;-). It seems ideal for those with inorganic mixes that get fouled up with organic pellets. Not sure I would want to put in in along with trees roots when it can do that to apple sauce! Shocked Nothing like superthrive at all, nor does it claim to be.

Ian Young

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts on Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:01 pm

heres a little snippet from the canna site..
"In a root system that functions well, roots die and new roots are formed. The remains of roots that died form an ideal growing substrate for pathogenic organisms. After the pathogenic moulds have multiplied in the dead root material, they are a threat to the healthy roots. These are easily affected, and will lose an important part of their function."

This product has been around years too !, it just seems to have been missed by bonsai growers - silly really as i was using canna products a decade ago. I've seen another major benefit to our type of pot culture too Very Happy , the product contains a blend of natural enzymes that break down the celullose found in dead roots and other organic matter, converting it to useable sugars and minerals, so it will also break down all the roots from the weeds when i pull them off !. I'd say it's certainly not a product to use with leaf mould, pine bark or other organic mixes though - half your soil could disappear!! Laughing

rhizotonic is like a 21st century superthrive.

from their web site
"RHIZOTONIC adds more than 60 microbiological substances that considerably speeds up the growth of a balanced root environment. Various trace elements and vitamins such as B1&B2 have been added to RHIZOTONIC in order to stimulate the plant production of hormones and root growth, thus providing better and stronger roots."

it will be interesting to see how my old trees respond next spring with vigour, back budding,etc and i know that two of my trees are very sensitive with their roots - an ungrafted white pine and the very old rigida - both trees have a little sulk straight after winter so it will be interesting to see how quickly they perk up.

marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  stavros on Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:57 pm

I've been using Rhizotonic for a couple of years now. I apply it on newly repotted trees, as well as on yamadori trees. Once every few weeks i apply it on all my trees.
Since i started using it, my success rate with yamadori is much higher, and the growth rate of all the trees is improved.
My yamadori buddies started using it this year after seeing my results. We use the same substrates, we dig trees together, but my yamadori trees from last year were growing much stronger compared to theirs.

stavros

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis on Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:05 pm

I hate to be the wet blanket -- again -- but there's NO benefit to roots of vitamin B.

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts on Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:02 am

Hi Jim, while one study you have found and have bought into shows no benefit to B vits this product isnt marketed or even claiming to be a B vit solution. It is a powerful marine alge extract that can aid root development - the makers have chosen to add many trace elements and B vits.

it is very difficult to draw conclusion in a test on one vitamin, as applied individually it may do diddly squatt, but once in combination with other ingredients it may be amazing (think yeast and sugar- give each product to a scientist and their report would read one thing, give both products to a scientist and the report would discover totally different results, they'd make beer Very Happy haha).

Superthrive may have been a gimmick, who knows - the packaging looked gimmicky, the company never had a portfolio of top class products to back them up so each individual has to decide on it for themselves. I know this company has some very skilled employees and huge planted areas to test on and i ask myself why would they increase production cost by including the vitamins if they didnt get a positive result. Even more so that the inclusion isnt even mentioned on the packaging, you need to read the web info to discover the B vits were added.

marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  Rui Marques on Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:47 am

Hy Marcus,
Do you have any conclusions using Rhizotonic?

Rui Marques

Back to top Go down

Post  AlainK on Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:04 pm

Can you vape Canna products? Does using it under LED lights make it stronger? Laughing

Joking apart, mycorrhyzae have long been proved to be very beneficial to plants of all kind.

AlainK

Back to top Go down

Post  MKBonsai on Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:39 pm

I've been using Canna Rhizotonic and Cannazyme when transplanting trees collected from the "wild" (mostly ditchadori and hedgeadori) but of course there's no way to tell whether it has helped or not as every tree is different and you can't do a proper experiment when every tree is individual. However - I feel it is worth using on the basis that it doesn't cost much per tree, and if it means the difference between survival or not it only has to work successfully on one half decent tree to make it easily pay for itself in the long term. However, it could just be snake oil of course, so if anyone has any scientific evidence showing whether it works or not then that would be useful to see.

MKBonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 9:50 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum