Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Young Fuchsia

3 posters

Go down

Young Fuchsia Empty Young Fuchsia

Post  capo_regime Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:29 pm

Hello all!!

I just bought a fuchsia, it is very young (about 1 year). I want to let it grow a couple of years until it have a good trunk. So, what should i do for now:

- let it grow freely and transplant in the next spring?
- transplant it now to a more suitable soil and pot?

thanx...

capo_regime

Back to top Go down

Young Fuchsia Empty Re: Young Fuchsia

Post  JimLewis Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:40 pm

If you live where you can plant it outside, that would be best.

Again, if everyone would fill out their profile, we'll be able to know where you're from and can help a bit more easily.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  capo_regime Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:16 pm

Well,i live in Portugal and i think i can plant it in my backyard however it will be a lot easier to me if i plant it side my bonsai colection.... I'm thinking in transplant it to a very draining soil system like this: http://www.bonsaiclub.com.br/dicas/colocando_na_mamadeira/acer_mamadeira.jpg

What do you think??

By the way, i read that it wants a basic soil mix, How should i do it? Is 1/3 akadama, 1/3 garden earth and 1/3 gravel a good mix??

capo_regime

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:19 pm

Most of us do without any garden earth in the mix. If your soil has fine particles it will wash down and clog the drainage. I use approx 1/3 akadama, 1/3 gravel and 1/3 chipped bark or partly composted bark.
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  capo_regime Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:24 pm

And can i transplant it now or should i wait next spring?? Should i cut all of the flowers to enhance a full growing power?

capo_regime

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:45 pm

If you mean planting out, that can be done now. If you mean putting into a new soil mix and arranging roots, wait until next spring, much safer.

Directing energy into growth rather than flowering is a good idea. If you leave any flowers on make sure you remove them with the seed capsule, as soon as they fade, so that no energy is wasted in producing seedpods.
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down