Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Photo of some of my trees

+4
Rob Kempinski
john5555leonard
moyogijohn
bingregory
8 posters

Go down

Photo of some of my trees Empty Photo of some of my trees

Post  Guest Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:22 am

Hi IBC.
I been practicing some descent Photography with some of my trees.

Photo of some of my trees Dsc_0931

Photo of some of my trees Dsc_0933

Photo of some of my trees Dsc_0934

Photo of some of my trees Dsc_1063

Comments and suggestions on trees and pictures itself are most welcome.
Nothing is edited yet, these are still raw pictures.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Photo of some of my trees Empty Re: Photo of some of my trees

Post  bingregory Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:30 am

Well first off, the trees are gorgeous, no question there. Are you shooting the photos indoors? It looks like you are going for a soft studio look, which to me is well suited for impressionistic trees like the first one, but to me they look a bit dark, especially the 1st and 4th. I'd like to see some natural light falling on them, like dappled morning light, especially for the 4th image which is more of a landscape scene. If the light falling from the upper left was strong enough to cast shadows across the Buddha, it would be very lovely. Just a thought from an utter amateur!
bingregory
bingregory

Back to top Go down

Photo of some of my trees Empty photo of some of my trees

Post  moyogijohn Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:34 am

JUN,, I really like the second one!! good job as always...take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Photo of some of my trees Empty photo of some of my trees

Post  john5555leonard Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:23 am

hi jun, i like the first one, what species is it, the foliage looks like casaurina but the bark does not. me and camera,s do,nt get on, im the person that chops peoples heads off in a photo. regards john

john5555leonard

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Kempinski Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:55 pm

Jun, regarding the photography it seems you are using a dominant light on one side. If possible try reflected light (off the ceiling) from either side of the tree with either a reflector or a small spot to fill in under the foliage.

I'd try to move the tree further from the backdrop to eliminate any hint of a shadow.

The focus on a few of the trees looks off bit. Are you using a tripod? What f-stop are you using? Also watch glare on the pot. Reflected light or some translucent material in front of the light should help that.

I'd like to see the first tree centered on the stand.

Second photo could be centered better.
In the third photo I'd raise the camera so it is just above the level of the pot.
Last photo seems to be titled from the horizontal.
Little things that help make a better photograph.

Good idea to practice though.

Last edited by Rob Kempinski on Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:56 pm

Thanks guys!

Yes John, that's the casuarina I posted here as material. The shari is 90% natural.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:58 pm

Rob Kempinski wrote:Jun, regarding the photography it seems you are using a dominant light on one side. If possible try reflected light (off the ceiling) from either side of the tree with either a reflector or a small spot to fill in under the foliage.

I'd try to move the tree further from the backdrop to eliminate any hint of a shadow.

The focus on a few of the trees looks off bit. Are you using a tripod? What f-stop are you using? Also watch glare on the pot. Reflected light or some translucent material in front of the light should help that.

I'd like to see the first tree centered on the stand.

In the third photo I'd raise the camera so it is just above the level of the pot.

Good idea to practice though.

Thanks Rob!

I'll try again and follow your advice, I like your tree photography.
BTW, I am using these trees with different pot characters to see the effect on different kinds of pot color and textures.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  coh Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:15 pm

Beautiful trees...trying to pick a favorite between 2/3/4 but cannot. I'll take all 3!

I'd like to know what species they all are...can't really tell from the photos.

Chris
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Post  manosvince Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:27 pm

All trees are great but this one is propably one of my foavorites... https://servimg.com/view/15500999/1523 it is just amazing.... Bravo!!!
manosvince
manosvince

Back to top Go down

Post  Ferdie * Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:18 am

Nice Trees, great, and one of my favorite is the no.2, do you still have a replica for this one, hehe upright statue, that im lack of..

Ferdz
Ferdie *
Ferdie *

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark> Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:58 am

Good-looking trees but the quality of light needs to be improved. If studio lights are not available, you might want to try window light technique. The primary light source comes from one window (sun) then you use a reflector (white illustration board or aluminum foil) as fill-in light. If properly executed, this will significantly improve the quality of your shots.

by the way, what f-stop and ISO did you use? I see some "noise" at background. I think the high ISO setting is the culprit. If you shot in automatic the camera may have increased the ISO to compensate for poor lighting.
Mark>
Mark>

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:38 am

Thanks Red,
I'll try the window technique. shots is in automatic mode. I think I am messing with the tripod, need to acquire remote shutter release.

regards,
jun Smile

Ferdz,
Thanks!
the tree is still in a very young stage, but when I got the enough branch thickness. This is going to be one of my best tree specially during the fruiting season.
Sorry no duplicate tree. This is actually the only one of this kind (this big) for the specie here being trained as bonsai, And many local bonsaists are not even familiar with the specie.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:51 am

Manosvince,
That's Murraya specie...Trained in a very rigid ,textbook manner, 1,2,3 branch, Rib type...One of my first trees. and I am beginning to dislike it. probably change the branch structure in the future.

regards,
jun Smile

Coh/Chris,

Thanks!
First tree- Casuarina e./ Ironwood

Second tree-Punica granatum/ Pomegranate- this one is a small fruit variety that fruits comes in cluster of 3, very nice specie for bonsai

Third tree- Murraya s./ Kamuning binangonan- although I doubt now if it really belongs to the Murraya sub specie, I think Budi is right...it is not Murraya as we call it here.

4th tree- Desmodium s./ Blue bell- fast growing tree, easy to develop as bonsai.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark> Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:11 am

jun wrote:Thanks Red,
I'll try the window technique. shots is in automatic mode. I think I am messing with the tripod, need to acquire remote shutter release.

regards,
jun Smile

I see so what camera are you using right now? It's tricky to get high quality photos in automatic mode. We can't rely on a computer when it comes to art. If you're using a DSLR camera or Point-and-shoot camera with manual settings then I suggest learning full manual, aperture priority and shutter priority. ThumbsUp

Tripod is a powerful tool especially for low-light photography and under manual settings. You don't need to get a remote shutter release. It's not critical for producing high quality photos but can be useful in certain situations.
Mark>
Mark>

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark> Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:14 am

I think it will be interesting to have a thread dedicated to bonsai photography. Very Happy
Mark>
Mark>

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Kempinski Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:26 am

Red wrote:

regards,
jun Smile
Tripod is a powerful tool especially for low-light photography and under manual settings. You don't need to get a remote shutter release. It's not critical for producing high quality photos but can be useful in certain situations.

Most cameras have a delayed shutter. For example you can set the delay on my camera (Canon D60) to 3 or 10 seconds. That will be enough time to get rid of camera shake from pressing the shutter button.

On my studio shots I use 100 ISO, aperture priority, and play with the f stop, letting the camera calculate the shutter speed. For large f-stops (small shutter openings) the shutter is sometimes open for 60 seconds. Hence the need for a good tripod.

Color balance is also important when using a digital camera.
Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:38 am

Thanks Rob and Red.

I am using Nikon D60.

regards,
jun Smile

Red,

There are currently 3 active threads, 2 follows after mine. this just prove that more people are interested in the "right" photography and a new thread to combine the current 3 threads would be much helpful ( Mods?) for all those who are interested in Photography. There are other people here like Jim and Rob and probably you and a lot more, who are more seasoned Photographer that can give the proper advice.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark> Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:48 am

[quote="Rob Kempinski"]
Red wrote:

regards,
jun Smile

Most cameras have a delayed shuttler. For example you can set the delay on my camera (Canon D60) to 3 or 10 seconds. That will be enough time to get rid of camera shake from pressing the shutter button.

I agree that's why I said it's not really critical to have a remote shutter speed. I usually use a 2-second delay.

On my studio shots I use 100 ISO, aperture priority, and play with the f stop, letting the camera calculate the shutter speed. For large f-stops (small shutter openings) the shutter is sometimes open for 60 seconds. Hence the need for a good tripod.

I usually shoot full manual inside the studio and shutter priority for sports activity.

Tripod is also needed for lower f-stops (large lens opening) under low-light and slow shutter speed conditions.

Color balance is also important when using a digital camera.
Nowadays, color balance can easily be tweaked by photo editing software but proper color balance setting is always best especially if you're not fond of using photo editing software like my mentor. hehe
Mark>
Mark>

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Kempinski Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:43 am

Red wrote:
Nowadays, color balance can easily be tweaked by photo editing software but proper color balance setting is always best especially if you're not fond of using photo editing software like my mentor. hehe

I find it a pain to fix color balance errors, even with Photoshop. Never can seem to get it just right if the RAW image isn't close. Do you have any good tips for that?
Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark> Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:19 pm

Rob Kempinski wrote:
Red wrote:

I find it a pain to fix color balance errors, even with Photoshop. Never can seem to get it just right if the RAW image isn't close. Do you have any good tips for that?

I'm not sure what type of color problems you usually encounter. The problem I usually encounter is the photo being slightly bluish or yellowish. This can be easily corrected by doing the following

go to Image > adjustments > color balance

or Ctrl+B

Adjust the 3rd (yellow-blue) bar. If the image is slightly bluish then move the arrow towards yellow, if the image is yellowish then move arrow towards blue.

If you're familiar with "layers" then I suggest the following:

go to Layer > new adjustment layer > color balance

This way if you don't like changes you made, you can simply delete the layer adjusment. HTH

Last edited by Red on Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mark>
Mark>

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark> Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:51 pm

jun wrote:Thanks Rob and Red.

I am using Nikon D60.

regards,
jun Smile

Nikon D60 is a powerful equipment for capturing great images. To get great quality image, you may need to learn manual shooting and resist the urge of using automatic mode. ThumbsUp

Red,

There are currently 3 active threads, 2 follows after mine. this just prove that more people are interested in the "right" photography and a new thread to combine the current 3 threads would be much helpful ( Mods?) for all those who are interested in Photography. There are other people here like Jim and Rob and probably you and a lot more, who are more seasoned Photographer that can give the proper advice.

regards,
jun Smile

Nice to hear we have a very supportive community here. Very Happy

Mark>
Mark>

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down