Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Casuarina Equisetifolia (Cemara Udang or Mu Ma Huang)

+26
Khaimraj Seepersad
my nellie
ponsmaldo
Robert Steven
ogi uyehara
jonathan e
siriwatn
kcpoole
Peter Woosley
craigw
BonsaiAndino
allan
leonardo
Ka Pabling
gm.it.seacom
Ed Trout
Chris Cochrane
Rob Kempinski
ArtAtkinson
cosmos
priya uthama
hiram
Billy M. Rhodes
sentot
Garykk
jrodriguez
30 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

grafting - Casuarina Equisetifolia (Cemara Udang or Mu Ma Huang) - Page 5 Empty Re: Casuarina Equisetifolia (Cemara Udang or Mu Ma Huang)

Post  ponsmaldo Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:12 pm

@robert you casuarina is realy marvelous. is the technique to achieve that leaf similar to pine?
ponsmaldo
ponsmaldo

Back to top Go down

grafting - Casuarina Equisetifolia (Cemara Udang or Mu Ma Huang) - Page 5 Empty Re: Casuarina Equisetifolia (Cemara Udang or Mu Ma Huang)

Post  Guest Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:17 pm

At long last Robert. I finally saw my favorite tree of yours here in IBC. thanks for the photos and close up shots, that will help a lot in detailing the design of the specie... I personally need these info with casaurinas.

I wish you well with your trip.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Robert Steven Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:40 pm

Yes, the character of Casuarina, the leaves and fruits are indeed resembling conifers.
I was just lucky to have received from a friend who was teaching in a university, a book "Casuarinas" written by N.S. Subbarao/C.Rodriguez-Barrueco, published in 1995 by Science Publishers,Inc, containining a complete information in Casuarina. I have not finished reading yet, there are many useful information that we can use for caring Casuarina as bonsai. I will post it later....

Here is my other Casuarina..

grafting - Casuarina Equisetifolia (Cemara Udang or Mu Ma Huang) - Page 5 Cas10
Robert Steven
Robert Steven

Back to top Go down

grafting - Casuarina Equisetifolia (Cemara Udang or Mu Ma Huang) - Page 5 Empty Long time since 2011....

Post  my nellie Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:10 am

Dear Robert, I presume that you have already finished the book..., do you think that there is additional info about casuarinas apart from those at you webpage?
If any, it would be greatly appreciated if you post it here, too.
I have found lately that casuarinas have been introduced in Greece many many years ago and they are doing fine! So, I have plans.... Very Happy
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  Robert Steven Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:36 am

my nellie wrote:Dear Robert, I presume that you have already finished the book..., do you think that there is additional info about casuarinas apart from those at you webpage?
If any, it would be greatly appreciated if you post it here, too.
I have found lately that casuarinas have been introduced in Greece many many years ago and they are doing fine! So, I have plans.... Very Happy

Worth to make a try..then...
Robert Steven
Robert Steven

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:52 am

Robert Steven wrote:Worth to make a try..then...
Exactly! I am already in search of some nursery growing casuarinas.
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:00 pm

Alexandra,

find out which Casuarina type you want from Sifu Robert.
I am seeing notes that the Equisetifolia only lives for about 20 to 50 years. On our side, they do tend to die frequently.
Best of luck.
Khaimraj

* I am still trying with our locally available material, will be years before I show anything.
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  jong Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:04 pm

Very nice Casuarina's, i am new to this specie, one of my new collection and planning to make a nursery like i did to my premna nursery. i have newly hunted Casuarina materials. i will post it soon if they all survive. i hope you guys can give some advice about this specie. thank you so much and god bless.

jong

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:20 pm

Khaimraj, until now, I always thought this tree is a pinus species...   Very Happy I was looking at those tall trees and I liked their pending long needle like leaves but I didn't know their name.
Casuarina equisetifolia is a common tree in the parks here in Athens (I understand it is also familiar elsewhere in Greece) and has been imported since early 19th c.

I read that maximum growth is reached in 20 years with a maximum life span of 40 to 50 years, so this is more than enough for my age of 60 yrs Very Happy
They are fast growing and this makes them much more appealing to me, thus I will take my chances with them.
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  cosmos Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:30 am

Hello any updates about casuarina?
cosmos
cosmos

Back to top Go down

Post  cosmos Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:39 pm

grafting - Casuarina Equisetifolia (Cemara Udang or Mu Ma Huang) - Page 5 15280912

Above is a casuarina that has been grown from a seed over 7 years by one of our members at BCG-Malta. Thanks to this thread I have learnt a lot and I made it my aim that members in our Maltese club start growing this species as a bonsai. MANY thanks go to Jose Rodriguez, Robert Stevens and Jun Llaga for making me believe in this species as a bonsai. And now I am happy to tell them that their casuarina trees has 'brothers' in Europe too, if only humble ones. Thanks again.

Alfred (Cosmos)
cosmos
cosmos

Back to top Go down

Post  Leo Schordje Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:48 pm

nice, for a tree only 7 years old, this one looks great.
Leo Schordje
Leo Schordje

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:54 pm

There are also casuarinas here in Greece (from import I presume)
At the end of last winter, I have seen some very large trees surrounding a school's yard which were pruned very hard height wise and coming spring the trees were sprouting from everywhere! Old bark at the bottom of the trunk!
It is my forthcoming project to find a decent nursery casuarina and give it a try Very Happy
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

grafting - Casuarina Equisetifolia (Cemara Udang or Mu Ma Huang) - Page 5 Empty Casuarina air-layering

Post  cosmos Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:06 pm

Thanks Leo and Nellie for your comments. I am sure that there are casuarinas in Europe but it has not been potentially used for bonsai. Even in Malta these trees have been imported many many years ago and used as landscape and street trees. I advice to try air-layering as it will save you a lot of time.

grafting - Casuarina Equisetifolia (Cemara Udang or Mu Ma Huang) - Page 5 Pictur13

grafting - Casuarina Equisetifolia (Cemara Udang or Mu Ma Huang) - Page 5 Pictur10

grafting - Casuarina Equisetifolia (Cemara Udang or Mu Ma Huang) - Page 5 Pictur12

grafting - Casuarina Equisetifolia (Cemara Udang or Mu Ma Huang) - Page 5 Pictur14

grafting - Casuarina Equisetifolia (Cemara Udang or Mu Ma Huang) - Page 5 Pictur11

Alfred (Cosmos)
cosmos
cosmos

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:11 pm

Sound advice, Alfred! Thank you for sharing the documentary photos Very Happy
The layering was made early in spring, wasn't it? And how long did it take to make all these roots?
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  cosmos Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:00 am

I always do air-layering when the tree is actively growing. This is explained physiologically. As the tree is active, food that is made in excess in the leaves will tend to go down to be stored in the roots and the cortex of main trunk. But as the food goes down it finds the created gap and stops there, feeding the cambium layer thus exposed. The cells of the cambium layer starts to divide rapidly with all the food being supplied. The callus is formed and finally the roots. Indeed, the air-layer was done in July and it only took about 4 weeks.

Alfred (cosmos)
cosmos
cosmos

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:06 pm

Thanks for your reply.
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  jun Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:45 pm

Hi cosmos!
just passing by at IBC and saw my name on the thread.
You are welcome!
It is good to hear My works and talk here before helped you guys.

regards,
jun:D
jun
jun

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:22 pm

HIT US WITH SOME TREES JUN !!!
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  cosmos Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:22 pm

grafting - Casuarina Equisetifolia (Cemara Udang or Mu Ma Huang) - Page 5 Casuar11

I have found this picture of a gigantic casaurina being transported. Please note the blue ribbon like material constricting each root. From previous pictures in this thread it is usual to fatten up the trunk and nebari by growing surface roots and tunnel them to the ground.

Does anybody know how and why this constricting ribbon method works?

Thanks.
cosmos
cosmos

Back to top Go down

Post  cosmos Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:19 pm

After some deliberation the answer to the question I asked might be the following. Still I would be very grateful for any feedback from the experts on Casuarina, like Robert Stevens, Juan Llaga or Jose Rodriguez. Thanks beforehand.

One technique that some use to fatten up the base of a main trunk is to tie a tourniquet at the base near the soil surface. This should be tight enough to press on the phloem tissue (the vessels that carry excess food from the leaves to be stored in the roots and trunk). In doing so the excess food cannot pass all and so it accumulates above the tourniquet, fattening up the trunk. In a similar way I am presuming that making ties on the roots would help fatten up the roots and create the massive nebari.
cosmos
cosmos

Back to top Go down

Post  jun Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:39 pm

cosmos wrote:After some deliberation the answer to the question I asked might be the following. Still I would be very grateful for any feedback from the experts on Casuarina, like Robert Stevens, Juan Llaga or Jose Rodriguez. Thanks beforehand.  

One technique that some use to fatten up the base of a main trunk is to tie a tourniquet at the base near the soil surface. This should be tight enough to press on the phloem tissue (the vessels that carry excess food from the leaves to be stored in the roots and trunk). In doing so the excess food cannot pass all and so it accumulates above the tourniquet, fattening up the trunk. In a similar way I am presuming that making ties on the roots would help fatten up the roots and create the massive nebari.  

Yes Cosmos. Ii is used to create a thicker root/nebari.

regards,
jun Very Happy
jun
jun

Back to top Go down

Post  cosmos Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:45 pm

Hi Jun
Thanks for your confirming feedback.
cosmos
cosmos

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5