i just needed a good moan

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Post  john5555leonard on Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:44 am

hi everybody, don,t get me wrong i love living in thailand but sometimes it drives me crazy, i can,t get pots anymore !!!! . the local bonsai trader used to sell really good concrete bonsai pots , some were so good you could not tell they were concrete , but now he,s decided its to much trouble and not enough profit. easy yeah, just charge more. so now if i want pots i,v got to drive to bangkok which is a 6 hour drive. its weird here because the concrete pots are really cheap but chinese imported ceramic pots are 2 or 3 times the price of england , and we are next door to china ??? . also he used to sell bags of crushed red brick < clay > which is the best additive i,v found for compost, he,s not selling that anymore either . when i moved here i shipped out some large plastic and mica training pots and i,d love to get some more but the thai government charge 100 per cent import tax, so by the time i,v bought the pots paid for shipping , then tax i may as well buy ceranic pots . oh well i feel better now john

john5555leonard

Back to top Go down

Re: i just needed a good moan

Post  Hawaiian77 on Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:52 am

Sometimes it's good to just let it out..... now breath deep and relax. Very Happy Very Happy

A Hui Hou,
-Tim Cool

Hawaiian77

Back to top Go down

Post  Ian Young on Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:38 pm

That's an eye opener John, I never would have thought, being next door to China, that would be the case!!

It never hurts to have a moan and get things off your chest Very Happy perhaps someone here will come to your rescue.....

Ian Young

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts on Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:21 am

ouch - 100% duty !!, but isnt the cost of living basically peanuts so it ends up swings and roundabouts?

6 hr drive is nothing tho mate for this hobby, i live in cornwall and will travel to Essex to visit Lee -11-12 hr trip, and a couple of visits a year to willowbog - 1000 mile round trip & 16 hours + of actual driving. the bonsai road trip is all part of the exciting anticipation of what you might find when you get there.

marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  john5555leonard on Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:49 am

hi marcus, you,v obviously never driven in bangkok, once you get there it can take 3 hrs just to get round the corner, there,s a joke here about a baby born in a tuk tuk in a bangkok traffic jam and he was 9 yrs old before he got out and tried to breath oxygen for the first time.. but i know what you mean, and the next time you go to willowbog give peter my regards. regards john

john5555leonard

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts on Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:17 am

john5555leonard wrote:hi marcus, you,v obviously never driven in bangkok, once you get there it can take 3 hrs just to get round the corner, there,s a joke here about a baby born in a tuk tuk in a bangkok traffic jam and he was 9 yrs old before he got out and tried to breath oxygen for the first time.. but i know what you mean, and the next time you go to willowbog give peter my regards. regards john

haha - classic - yes i can imagine that even the track down to willowbog is better than the main road to bankok - and yes I certainly will pass on your regards, its my favorite haunt for native collected material at really good prices - there is something inspiring about looking at bonsai trees while surrounded by wilderness

marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie on Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:56 am

John, perhaps you could try buying through e-bay?
Or, if you have some spare time, why don't you try to make your own paper-cement pots?

my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  john5555leonard on Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:17 pm

hi nellie?? ebays is not an option, post detailed instructions on paper pots and i,ll have a go , i,v read the post on paper pots but the details are not in english. marcus they named the baby toyota and he,s now got a brother called honda and in his next life he wants to reincarnate as a mercedes benz . regards john ps all my trees are big so need big pots

john5555leonard

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie on Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:20 am

Well, John this page from Bonsai4me is in English.
This one here is in French just like this one, too.
But surely you can try to translate into English, this is not difficult...

my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 12:18 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum