Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Acer shirasawanum 'Aureum' - Bonsai

+5
Tom Benda
Klaudia & Martin
carlos
manosvince
Max
9 posters

Go down

Acer shirasawanum 'Aureum' - Bonsai Empty Acer shirasawanum 'Aureum' - Bonsai

Post  Max Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:47 pm

Hi there,
my name is Max. I am from Germany and I would like to do my first thread within this forum.

This tree is quite exactly 25 years of age.
It has been styled for about 20 years with two former owners.
I got it for a little amount of money because noone took care of it or wanted to buy it so far.
By now it will not be departed from my collection anymore I think.

Acer shirasawanum is already quite rare as a bonsai. I do only know a few.
But Acer shirasawanum 'Aureum' is even more interesting for bonsai because of it's golden leafs.

I just changed some tiny details so far:
changed the front view to it's original side and wired just some branches.
Of course this tree has got some problems like the nebari that could be better and the wound in front.
But it all will be fixed within time. For example I will start grafting some roots in spring.

I am looking forward to your comments!

Best wishes.
Max

This is how it looked when I bought it.
Acer shirasawanum 'Aureum' - Bonsai File

This is after I had done just a few changes.

This is how the tree looks by now. The only artificial fact about this photo is the pot. Everything else is real.
The very small branch that crosses the tree behind is placed differently already.
Max
Max

Back to top Go down

Acer shirasawanum 'Aureum' - Bonsai Empty Re: Acer shirasawanum 'Aureum' - Bonsai

Post  manosvince Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:35 pm

Hello! Very nice! I like it's naturality! You should now do a heavy trimming in winter to have a more close foliage.
One question...what type of substrate did you use in the last photo? Thanks in advance, Manos from Greece.
manosvince
manosvince

Back to top Go down

Acer shirasawanum 'Aureum' - Bonsai Empty Re: Acer shirasawanum 'Aureum' - Bonsai

Post  Max Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:32 pm

Hi Manos,

on this photo you can see a substrate called Fibotherm.
You can find more infos about it on Walters blog:
http://walter-pall-bonsai.blogspot.com/2007/03/baked-loam-as-main-ingredient-for.html

If you think about using Fibotherm try to mix it with coconut soil.
I think this works best and cheapest for most Bonsai.

manosvince wrote:You should now do a heavy trimming in winter to have a more close foliage.
Thank you for your comment. But actually Acer shirasawanum is very sensitive to heavy trimming... At least in Germany.
This seems to be why it is so rare for bonsai. Have you got different experiences?

Best wishes.
Max
Max

Back to top Go down

Post  manosvince Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:36 pm

Thanks for your replay. Is that Fibotherm looks like that?? --> Acer shirasawanum 'Aureum' - Bonsai Dscn2213zt.th Acer shirasawanum 'Aureum' - Bonsai Dscn2211.th
manosvince
manosvince

Back to top Go down

Post  Max Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:53 am

Well, this seems to be some kind of broken stone (?) while fibotherm is some kind of baked loam.
But it will work.

best wishes
Max
Max
Max

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:14 pm

Hi max

It is very nice to see such a interested young guy in bonsai...you will manage to create many very nice trees in your time.

I dont know, if you just want to show us your acer now, having your own plans for the future, of this tree. Or if you want advise....

Maybe your plans, look a little like the plan I would give the treeowner, of he/she came to my class.

I would say...The neabari and the scar, is almost the smallest flaw on this tree. The 2 lowest branches is worse....I would suggest they were both removed, leaving the third branch to be the new lowest branch.

Then I would place the tree in the garden for all the years it takes, for the tree to grow, untill the new lowest branch is only 1/3 up the trunk. You can fertilice....

While the tree is in the garden, would I prune the tree into shape, when ever possible.....the bigger sice of the bonsaitree would fit this acer well, as you say they dont like to be pruned hard. The neabari will benefit, and the scar will be gone by then.

Then I would buy a big nice pot Very Happy , the one you show looks nice.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Max Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:42 pm

Hi Yvonne,

thank you very much for your very friendly comment!

Yes, you are right! I forgot to write about the worst problem: the branches that grow at the same level.
Your idea to cut them off is plausible and I already thought about it.
But I went to the conclusion to cut only the right branch and try to move the next branch on the right side downwards.
Otherwise maybe the tree will get way to high for my feeling. By now it is about 70 cm of heigh.

I will make use of the technique shown on this video:

https://ibonsaiclub.forumotion.com/t6745-videos-of-a-maple-being-styled-by-william-n-valavanis-using-a-pine-bonsai-styling-technique

But it will take some time as I don't want to have any risk to lose the branch.
As long as it takes I will keep both of the lowest branches for a nice silhouette.

What do you think about this?

Best wishes.

Max
Max
Max

Back to top Go down

Post  Max Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:01 pm

Hi Yvonne, here is my new virtual...
Of course it may also be possible to move the left branch more to the ground.

Acer shirasawanum 'Aureum' - Bonsai Goldah10

Best wishes
Max
Max
Max

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:08 pm

Hi Max

Your virtual looks very nice.
But I know there is a major problem with the lowest branch. This is not something I would want to spend my time on.
No matter what you decide, your own idea, or mine( the tree could be kept at 100 cm.+). Is it important to keep the third and fourth branch short, as theese two already is quit fat, and soon will leave first and second behind.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  carlos Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:48 pm

Yvonne Graubaek wrote:I would say...The neabari and the scar, is almost the smallest flaw on this tree. The 2 lowest branches is worse....I would suggest they were both removed, leaving the third branch to be the new lowest branch.

Then I would place the tree in the garden for all the years it takes, for the tree to grow, untill the new lowest branch is only 1/3 up the trunk. You can fertilice....

While the tree is in the garden, would I prune the tree into shape, when ever possible.....the bigger sice of the bonsaitree would fit this acer well, as you say they dont like to be pruned hard. The neabari will benefit, and the scar will be gone by then.

Then I would buy a big nice pot Very Happy , the one you show looks nice.

Kind regards Yvonne

This is not a pine, the upward branches are characteristics of deciduous trees....

carlos

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:44 pm

Hi Carlos

This is not what I am talking about...
On a bonsai like this, is it wanted to have the lowest branches thickest. The two branches I am talking about, is too fat now, They will take ower, and leave the other two lower behind.
I never said anything about bending dawn the branches, it is not a connifer.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Klaudia & Martin Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:32 am

Hallo Max

Willkommen im IBC.....

Welcome to the IBC....nice to see you here!!!
I'm pretty sure you will show some more good trees like this !!!

Kind regards
Klaudia & Martin
Klaudia & Martin
Klaudia & Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Max Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:41 pm

Yvonne Graubaek wrote:Hi Max

Your virtual looks very nice.
But I know there is a major problem with the lowest branch. This is not something I would want to spend my time on.
No matter what you decide, your own idea, or mine( the tree could be kept at 100 cm.+). Is it important to keep the third and fourth branch short, as theese two already is quit fat, and soon will leave first and second behind.

Kind regards Yvonne

Hi Yvonne,

thanks again for your reply! Maybe the pictures are not detailed enough. Maybe because of the wire it looks like the upper branches are as thick as the lower ones. But anyway. Usually I prefer to thicken the lower branches of a tree instead of cutting them off. I am quite sure it will take much more time to rebuild the whole tree the way you would do it instead of just let the lower branches grow untill they are fat enough.
Of course both decisions will take their time. But I think this is Bonsai...

Thank you.

Best wishes
Max
Max
Max

Back to top Go down

Post  Max Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:43 pm

Klaudia & Martin wrote:Hallo Max

Willkommen im IBC.....

Welcome to the IBC....nice to see you here!!!
I'm pretty sure you will show some more good trees like this !!!

Kind regards
Klaudia & Martin

Danke ihr beiden! Wink
Thank you!

Best wishes.
Max
Max
Max

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:15 pm

(But anyway. Usually I prefer to thicken the lower branches of a tree instead of cutting them off.)

Your words

Hi Max
Please read all my words again, I can see you have misunderstood. This was not at all, what it was about.

I am happy you want bonsai so much, and I will look forward to see more of your trees.

Kind regards Yvonne

Last edited by Yvonne Graubaek on Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:40 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : quoting did not work)

Back to top Go down

Post  Max Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:36 pm

Yvonne Graubaek wrote:
But anyway. Usually I prefer to thicken the lower branches of a tree instead of cutting them off.

Hi Max
Please read all my words again, I can see you have misunderstood. This was not at all, what it was about.

I am happy you want bonsai so much, and I will look forward to see more of your trees.

Kind regards Yvonne

Thank you once more! Wink
Max
Max
Max

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:39 pm

Hi Max

The quoting did not work....So the first words in my reply looked like mine...but they were yours.

I think you understand.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom Benda Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:26 am

Hi Max!

I started some few shir. 'Aureum' seedlings too. (They're quite regular as their parents.)
I know they're a little bit stubborn, they take time. Even when plated in the ground, it takes some few years before they start to grow more vigorously. I would recommend a bigger container with good, modern substrate, heavy feeding. Then it is possible to cut and await back budding, and finally get it Smile

In my eyes, the two branches are a problem. But one branch is no problem. I understand both the reasons for removing at least one of them - the same level and their thickness. But You can have one thick branch lower on the trunk, especially in deciduous trees it's no problem.

I'm looking forward for this tree's future, please, keep us updated.

In 20 years I'm going to add some shirasawanum too Cool

Tom Benda

Back to top Go down

Post  Max Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:44 pm

Tom Benda wrote:Hi Max!

I started some few shir. 'Aureum' seedlings too. (They're quite regular as their parents.)
I know they're a little bit stubborn, they take time. Even when plated in the ground, it takes some few years before they start to grow more vigorously. I would recommend a bigger container with good, modern substrate, heavy feeding. Then it is possible to cut and await back budding, and finally get it Smile

In my eyes, the two branches are a problem. But one branch is no problem. I understand both the reasons for removing at least one of them - the same level and their thickness. But You can have one thick branch lower on the trunk, especially in deciduous trees it's no problem.

I'm looking forward for this tree's future, please, keep us updated.

In 20 years I'm going to add some shirasawanum too Cool

Laughing
Max
Max

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:08 am

Max,
Where did you get the container for the virtual photo of the maple? The shallow, yellow glazed, pot?
It is very dramatic.
Danke,
Todd
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  Max Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:15 am

Hi Todd,

this pot is from Walter. Its made by Derek Aspinal who is already dead.
So it will be hard to get a similar one.

Best wishes.
Max
Max
Max

Back to top Go down

Acer shirasawanum 'Aureum' - Bonsai Empty Where can I get an 'Aureum' tree?

Post  aritchie12 Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:28 am

Hi All,

I'm am new to Bonsai and I want to start with Acer shirasawanum 'Aureum' because the tree is beautiful and has personal significance to me. Where can buy such a tree? Do you have any recommendations as to how old a tree I should get?

aritchie12

Back to top Go down

Post  RKatzin Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:40 am

Hi aritchie, you can buy this tree from a nursery here in SW Oregon called Forest Farm. See their catalog at ForestFarm.com. Specify that you want the tree for bonsai. Rick
RKatzin
RKatzin

Back to top Go down

Acer shirasawanum 'Aureum' - Bonsai Empty hi Max

Post  tap pi lu Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:56 am

Max Engels wrote:Hi there,
my name is Max. I am from Germany and I would like to do my first thread within this forum.

This tree is quite exactly 25 years of age.
It has been styled for about 20 years with two former owners.
I got it for a little amount of money because noone took care of it or wanted to buy it so far.
By now it will not be departed from my collection anymore I think.

Acer shirasawanum is already quite rare as a bonsai. I do only know a few.
But Acer shirasawanum 'Aureum' is even more interesting for bonsai because of it's golden leafs.

I just changed some tiny details so far:
changed the front view to it's original side and wired just some branches.
Of course this tree has got some problems like the nebari that could be better and the wound in front.
But it all will be fixed within time. For example I will start grafting some roots in spring.

I am looking forward to your comments!

Best wishes.
Max

This is how it looked when I bought it.

This is after I had done just a few changes.

This is how the tree looks by now. The only artificial fact about this photo is the pot. Everything else is real.
The very small branch that crosses the tree behind is placed differently already.
remove the errors is essential
will be good for the future shape
[img]Acer shirasawanum 'Aureum' - Bonsai Failue10[/img][img]Acer shirasawanum 'Aureum' - Bonsai Fixes10[/img]
tap pi lu
tap pi lu

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down