Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bonsai Virgin-fertilizing

5 posters

Go down

Bonsai Virgin-fertilizing Empty Bonsai Virgin-fertilizing

Post  MarcRN Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:48 pm

Could someone please tell me how often I should fertilize my Japanese cedar?

MarcRN

Back to top Go down

Bonsai Virgin-fertilizing Empty Re: Bonsai Virgin-fertilizing

Post  stan Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:01 am

A little more info would be good. Like how old it's etc. . Wot are you feeding it with i.e liquid or slow release pellets. You could be feeding every two weeks or monthly depends really.

stan

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:33 pm

And where you live, where you keep the tree, etc.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Bonsai Virgin-fertilizing Empty Bonsai Virgin-The Cedar saga

Post  MarcRN Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:18 pm

Sorry gentleman and thanks for replying. The cedar is about 6 inches tall, age unknown. I live in the midwest, Missouri to be exact and I am giving it liquid (the was recommended by a vendor whom I bought the fertilizer from @ bonsai show). I am misting it a few times a day, per advice on here since I repotted it about a month ago. It is very slowly starting to return to turn back to green after the repotting. I thought my black thumb had struck again. Sad

Any other advice regarding this plant would be greatly appreciated.

MarcRN

Back to top Go down

Post  stan Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:42 pm

I'm trying to get a mental picture of this tree, tho finding it hard. You say it's 6inches tall.Is it a seedling or a Shohin tree. So i'll take it it's a established shohin tree? If it was re-potted a month ago i'd feed it half strength for the first month to 6weeks and then onto full strength feed there after depending on the trees reaction. You may want to feed half strength every two weeks or full strength once a month. Or if you want the tree to put a lot of growth on then you could up the strength. People have different preferences to how they feed their trees. It's all about finding Whats good for you and the trees.
Good luck

stan

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:43 pm

You can feed at whatever the label of the fertilizer says is right. When the liquid stuff you have is gone, buy some Miracle-Gro or other powdered houseplant fertilizer and use it, following label instructions.

I assume this plant is outdoors? Is it in a bonsai pot?
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  stan Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:21 pm

I use Miracle-Gro for my pre-bonsai material. But i never use it on my bonsai. i find the npk is to strong. As i said everyone has their differnt formulas for different species. You have to find out whats good for you.
Anychance of a pic?

stan

Back to top Go down

Post  Carolee Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:15 am

i find the npk is to strong.
What do you mean? How can it be too strong? I use a balanced (Nursery Man's Miracle-Grow 30-30-30) every two weeks, and I have never had any problem. All my trees are pre-bonsai, shohin, or mame. This is in addition to the slow release Osmocote I put in the soil at the beginning of each summer.

There is an excellent article about fertilizing by Brent Waltson: http://www.evergreengardenworks.com/fertiliz.htm
Carolee
Carolee

Back to top Go down

Post  stan Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:18 pm

Carolee wrote:
i find the npk is to strong.
What do you mean? How can it be too strong? I use a balanced (Nursery Man's Miracle-Grow 30-30-30) every two weeks, and I have never had any problem. All my trees are pre-bonsai, shohin, or mame. This is in addition to the slow release Osmocote I put in the soil at the beginning of each summer.

There is an excellent article about fertilizing by Brent Waltson: http://www.evergreengardenworks.com/fertiliz.htm

As i said Carolee, i find MG too strong. My aim is not to heavy feed my trees. After all it's a marathon not a sprint. I am quite happy to feed my trees with a low npk over a longer period of time. If it takes longer for the growth to happen then so be it. I appreciate others do different and am not saying its wrong. Just not my prefered method. My trees are very healthy so i will stick with this routine, untill they tell me otherwise Wink

stan

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:41 pm

It's horses for courses folks. Trees in early development need more vigorous growth and that is promoted by heavy feeding. Trees that are already developed bonsai need keeping healthy, but with the bare minimum of feeding to help reduce leaf size and shorten internodes etc.
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Carolee Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:19 am

Got it! Most of my trees still need a lot of growth. Out of my thirty some trees only two are even close to being ready for exhibit. Thanks Stan and Kev.
Carolee
Carolee

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down