Cheng Cheng Kung , SiDiao Series, Taiwan White Pine

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Cheng Cheng Kung , SiDiao Series, Taiwan White Pine

Post  Vance Wood on Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:13 pm

jrodriguez wrote:Hello,

Bonsai is meant to be enjoyed from all angles. Also, dead wood is an asset or feature of the entire composition.

Making the dead portions of a tree the focal point of the bonsai detracts attention from the other components that typify the composition as a whole. Although a valid and beautiful, focal point bonsai sometimes emphasizes one element, while other important aspects of the the tree remain unnoticed.

I certainly like this tree very much. The soft curves and the needle clouds give a sense of maturity and stability.

By the way, i am happy for the fact that this topic has encouraged discussion. We all learn from the coments and remarks made by our distinguished members.

Kind regards,

Jose Luis

Jose Luis, as I mentioned I am not looking to be overly critical of this tree. I also agree; a tree should, and can be enjoyed from all angles and views. However; as is the case with most trees there is usually one side that is considered the chosen front from which a tree is displayed in a formal setting. It is for this reason I am curious as to why so much attention was exercised on the side of the tree no one can fully enjoy in this type of setting? It is kind of like painting the sistine chapel ceiling on the underside of a desk. All that being done and said if the answer is in the fact that nature does these kinds of things then there is no argument? My concern again was why so much effort expended on something not to be seen, justified by the premise that natural trees may appear this way, when it could have been left alone using the same justification? Artistic elements are usually applied to be enjoyed by the viewer of said object.

Vance Wood

Back to top Go down

Post  jrodriguez on Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:31 pm

Mr. Wood,

I apologize if my observations made you feel uneasy. In any way i meant disrespect.

As a field grown specimen, this tree had unsightly saw cuts that needed to be adressed. Perhaps the picture doesn't make the enjoyment of the shari elements possible, but in person they can be appreciated better.

Again, i apologize, Xie xie

jose

jrodriguez

Back to top Go down

Post  Garykk on Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:37 pm

I think Mr. Chen fully realized this tree was not going to be the Mona Lisa of pines. It is unique in its own way straying from the rule book in many ways. To have a hint of age in shari creates more entertainment value and added reason to further examine the subject at hand.

__gary

Garykk

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrija Zokic on Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:13 pm

jrodriguez wrote:
With a drill bit, the shari is further refined.

Please, can you tell me what kind of drill bit is this one?

Andrija Zokic

Back to top Go down

Post  Justin Hervey on Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:30 am

Nobody is taking offence. This is as it should be... a good healthy discussion.

Justin Hervey

Back to top Go down

Post  Raghav Agrawal on Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:30 am

nice job done

Raghav Agrawal

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 10:13 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2