Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

am i the only one?

+2
drgonzo
momcat66
6 posters

Go down

am i the only one? Empty am i the only one?

Post  momcat66 Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:49 am

New to bonsai and working on several different things, definitely works in progress. I bought a variegated cotoneaster at the nursery a couple of days ago. I went to town on it tonight, one mistake led to another and another. Now all I have left is a very short trunk with nothing else. Tell me I'm not the only one who has done such extreme damage in the beginning? I feel horrible. Will the little thing come back at all? Sad
momcat66
momcat66

Back to top Go down

am i the only one? Empty Re: am i the only one?

Post  drgonzo Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:54 am

No your NOT the only one. I used to dig 4 foot saplings up out of the woods and put them in terra-cotta pots with spanish moss for a ground cover...Oh those "early" days.

Don't feel bad I've done some doozies in my short time with this hobby!

leave it alone and just keep it evenly moist (ie. don't water it) until you see some growth, give it sun it should back bud as long as the roots were undisturbed the Cotoneaster should re-grow.
drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

am i the only one? Empty Am i the only one

Post  alex e Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:05 am

Dont let it worry you No I know people that are still doing it 20yrs on Rolling Eyes Crying or Very sad Laughing Laughing
hopefuly you will learn from it and not become one of them lol! lol!

regards Alex e Bagpiper
alex e
alex e

Back to top Go down

Post  momcat66 Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:01 pm

No your NOT the only one. I used to dig 4 foot saplings up out of the woods and put them in terra-cotta pots with spanish moss for a ground cover...Oh those "early" days.

leave it alone and just keep it evenly moist (ie. don't water it) until you see some growth, give it sun it should back bud as long as the roots were undisturbed the Cotoneaster should re-grow.

Didn't touch the roots at least! I now have it in some part sun and will monitor it closely. I have some Superthrive. Do you think I should try some on there?
momcat66
momcat66

Back to top Go down

Post  Sam Ogranaja Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:11 pm

momcat66 wrote:

Didn't touch the roots at least! I now have it in some part sun and will monitor it closely. I have some Superthrive. Do you think I should try some on there?

Superthrive is a touchy subject 'round these parts. Some swear by it, most swear it doesn't work. There's a huge topic on this, somewhere in here.

Good luck with it. I've made some MASSIVE blunders in my time. I've found out that even ficus nerifolia doesn't like to be repotted and styled at the same time. Who knew?!?!

Have a great week and good luck with it.
Sam
Sam Ogranaja
Sam Ogranaja

Back to top Go down

Post  dick benbow Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:33 pm

In my time in the forest, I've seen tender young trees reduced to basic trunk by deer and elk. They come back.
No reason why yours won't either.

Also i have seen those wanting to create shohin with a thick trunk that probably deliberately did what you feel now was over enthusiasm. So much depends on the nature of the subject and it's health going into the crisis.

What I like to tell folks on the beginning of their learning curve is......people pay a lot of money to attend college and get and education. What's the difference between paying in another form but still getting that needed education? Sometimes lessons learned the hard way are the best learned.

bout the time you hit mid learning curve, expect to be like a deer in a headlight.....you can see what needs to be done with other people's subjects, but you just stare at your own and go blank Smile LOL
dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Post  coh Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:01 pm

I don't think reducing a cotoneaster to a trunk is that big of a deal (though I'm not speaking from experience with this species, just what I've seen/heard). The only concern I have is that you've done it so late in the growing season. Then again, if you're in southeastern Texas, maybe you're OK.

Superthrive "discussions" can be found all over this forum and many others. I think most who recommend it use it as a root stimulator at the time of repotting or collection. General feeling seems to be that it's not harmful (except to the pocketbook), but whether it has any positive effect is up for debate. I've got a small bottle and have been using it for recently potted trees and cuttings, but can't say that I've seen any benefit.

Chris
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Post  momcat66 Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:43 pm

Yeah, wasn't sure about mentioning the Superthrive. I read the LOOOONG thread about it a couple of weeks ago Shocked

Regarding our growing season, we usually get our first cool, NOT cold snap in late October. I guess time will tell. Everything I have read about Cotoneaster is that they are one of the safest for beginners. I suppose this will be the ultimate test! Laughing
momcat66
momcat66

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum