Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

plant deficiency chart?

4 posters

Go down

plant deficiency chart? Empty plant deficiency chart?

Post  drgonzo Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:36 am

Does anyone know of, or have a link to, a good website that displays nice color pictures of what each individual plant deficiency looks like in tree leaves. Like a 'deficiencies for dummies' sort of thing Laughing I'm having trouble finding anything useful along these lines that pictures individual deficiencies in leaves other than those found on plants one might wish to cultivate ILLEGALLY... affraid

my best and my thanks as always
-jay
drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

plant deficiency chart? Empty Re: plant deficiency chart?

Post  John Quinn Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:12 am

John Quinn
John Quinn

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:05 am

Amazing what you can find if you look.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  drgonzo Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:47 am

I had of course conducted a google search and found similar results what I was primarily interested in was a photo page that displayed each individual major and minor nutrient deficiency separately and individually pictured on a tree leaf.
drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:41 pm

In that case, you may have to resort to good old-fashioned things -- called books.

The Southern Living Garden Problem Solver (Oxmoor House, pub.)

or

The Ortho Home Gardener's Problem Solver (Ortho Books) {There is a "Professional" edition, too, but that's pretty technical)

are both excellent (if a tad expensive) for determining a whole host of disease, and insect, issues with plants -- including shrubs and trees. The Southern Living book is a bit more Integrated Pest Management oriented that the Ortho book.

There also is the Insect, Disease & Weed ID Guide (Rodale pub.) which is less expensive but almost exclusively organic and chemical free solutions, which I notice many folks here don't like.

Also, if you visit your County Extension Office (there is one in just about every county in the USA) they probably will have sheets and sheets of info with color pics of plant disease and treatment stuff.

JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  drgonzo Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:16 pm

Thank you for those recommendations Jim!

I find more and more I just want a good book that I can turn to when I need info rather than have to turn on the computer, I have the classic "Encyclopedia of Organic gardening" which i have used so much I wore the title print off the front cover, yet its pictures are in Black and white so it can make nutrient deficiency photos a bit confusing,

I'll see if I can find either of those titles in my Library system, to pre-view them!
-Jay
drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Post  Brett Summers Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:31 am

I was lucky enough to come across, Plant Nutrient Disorders: Volume 5: Ornament Plants and Shrubs G. Cresswell, at my local library and found it to be a great resource for just this.
It not only explains what to look for with plenty of pictures but also why it will show up in a certain way depending on how the nutrient moves around the plant. It explains everything, even what you will see if there is toxic amounts.

Brett Summers

Back to top Go down

Post  drgonzo Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:54 am

Brett Summers wrote:I was lucky enough to come across, Plant Nutrient Disorders: Volume 5: Ornament Plants and Shrubs G. Cresswell, at my local library and found it to be a great resource for just this.
It not only explains what to look for with plenty of pictures but also why it will show up in a certain way depending on how the nutrient moves around the plant. It explains everything, even what you will see if there is toxic amounts.

That sounds like a winner I'm gonna do my library search right now thank you both!
drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Post  drgonzo Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:23 am

Plant Nutrient Disorders: Volume 5: Ornament Plants and Shrubs G. Cresswell.....

They didn't have it in my Library system so I just bought it, its a bit of a hard to find book, but that is EXACTLY what I was looking for thank you so much for that recommendation!
drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Post  Brett Summers Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:43 am

Glad it helped. I decided I should have a copy of this book instead of just borrowing from the libary. We have a great new website in Australia called Booko. The site will search all the online bookshops listing the price of the book and also postage then list the cheapest combined cost at the top of the list.
Bloody awsome.
Although you would ignore the postage app it may be worth a look before you purchase any book
It tells me Abe books is the cheapest place to purchase new at the moment.
http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=5265446542&cm_ven=PFX&cm_cat=affiliates&cm_pla=links&afn_sr=gan&cm_ite=k272518&pfxid=a_1391115543
Just under US$ 40 plus postage.
It will cost me AUD$ 46 deliverd to my door.

Booko
http://booko.com.au/

Brett Summers

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down