Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Autumn collecting?

3 posters

Go down

Autumn collecting? Empty Autumn collecting?

Post  Storm Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:04 am

Just wanted to hear your thoughts on this..
Ive been told by most people, that digging trees are done in spring. Ive also read that some oaks can be collected mid summer, and some can be collected when its getting colder at autumn. Ive seen some pines I'd like to collect. Ive checked how they are sitting, and they can be lifted straight out, with the entire rootball. Barelly any roots have to be cut. A couple of these trees are losing needles and doesnt look like they are in too good of a shape just now.
Can I collect these soon? Take them home, and give them "better" growing conditions in some free draining soil, and not on the mountain, or will they die then? I can atleast offer them some winter protection, other than the places they are at now. The roots dont have to be touched much at all in this process.

Sincerely
Storm.
Storm
Storm

Back to top Go down

Autumn collecting? Empty Re: Autumn collecting?

Post  JimLewis Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:31 pm

Whether YOU can collect at any given time of year depends upon your skill in nursing trees back to health. Transplanting at any time is traumatic. Transplanting off season is even more traumatic, but it can be done.

It depends on the collector's experience.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Storm Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:44 pm

Alright! Thanks Jim.
Storm
Storm

Back to top Go down

Post  tim stubbs Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:23 pm

tim stubbs
tim stubbs

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down