Pot for an olive

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Pot for an olive

Post  Guest on Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:15 pm

I would like a new pot for this tree

I bought this yamadoriolive in Arco in 2005....It is living in a very nice Bryan Albright pot at the moment. But the pot is too big, and a another tree is standing in line for taking ower the pot. This pot meassures 26.5 x 22 x 8 cm.
I am very unsure about the style of the pot, and also is the tree styled unusual for a olive. My name for the tree is "Foo-dog". Any suggestions is welcomne.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Re: Pot for an olive

Post  Guest on Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:05 am

I have found this option...please let me know what you think.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Jesse McMahon on Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:26 am

i like the roundedness a little better, considering the shape of the tree. accepting that mine is a novice standpoint, i offer it as just my opinion. it also seems to me the darker color brings more attention to the trunk contours. i'd be curious to see what a completely round pot or a plain oval would do for it. good luck on the hunt!

Jesse McMahon

Back to top Go down

Post  drgonzo on Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:51 am

Yvonne
If that were my tree i would be looking at unglazed grey oval containers or even a dark mica Actually dark mica might look really good. What a beautiful olive that is...
-Jay

drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:05 am

Hi Jay

I am happy you like the tree.
How about the pottype?...or, do you have a another suggestion.

kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsai monkey on Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:20 am

Hi Yvonne,
I think that a Lotus pot would work well althogh the tree would need to sit a little higher. I'm not a great lover of too dark or drab pots. A lighter colour, like your original, would be better with a matt glaze. Gordon Duffet had a nice orangey/peach colour last weekend at Crawley that I think would work quite well as it would compliment the bark colour, without going to close to it, and would rfeally give the foiliage some "zing".

Love, Peace & Bananas,
Simon

bonsai monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsai monkey on Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:21 am

Hi Yvonne,
I think that a Lotus pot would work well althogh the tree would need to sit a little higher. I'm not a great lover of too dark or drab pots. A lighter colour, like your original, would be better with a matt glaze. Gordon Duffet had a nice orangey/peach colour last weekend at Crawley that I think would work quite well as it would compliment the bark colour, without going to close to it, and would really give the foiliage some extra "zing". I don't think I have a picture though Sad

Love, Peace & Bananas,
Simon

bonsai monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  drgonzo on Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:43 am

Hi yvonne

pots and matching them with trees is just so subjective a topic that I only can say "what I would do" and go from there, others may have totally different opinions and tastes and they are JUST as correct. I always tend to focus more on the tree than whatever pot its in, but thats just the gardner in me prevailing over the artist in me...the artist is in there somewhere I hope Very Happy

drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsai monkey on Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:51 am

drgonzo wrote: I always tend to focus more on the tree than whatever pot its in,

The "Bon" is as important as the "Sai" and vice verca You wouldn't go to Ikea and get a clip frame for the Mona Lisa would you??
If my first suggestion is a bit left field maybe a Salamander type finish in brown/cream (that I've just commissioned Stone Monkey for for my Shohin Privet) would work just as well. Or maybe a pale Lilac but I think it should be a Lotus shape whatever glaze colour you go for.

L,P&B
Simon

bonsai monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona on Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:01 am

Yvonne, is there any reason (roots etc) that the pot has to be so deep?

fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  peter krebs on Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:55 pm

Hi Dear Yvonne,
here your desired vituals, "Pictures of Dreams"

peter krebs

Back to top Go down

Post  peter krebs on Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:57 pm

Best wishes
Peter

peter krebs

Back to top Go down

Post  drgonzo on Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:21 pm

that first virtual with the oval REALLY struck me that looks incredible.

drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:23 pm

Hi Jesse, I hoped the very, very nice cloudpot was the pot for my tree ( I love cloudpots), but it looks as I will have to hunt a little longer.

Hi Simon, I never thought a orange/peach pot would be my "thing"...But I would like to see it. I t sounds interesting....what is "zing"

Hi Fiona, This was the pot I had, when the tree was removed from the large container back then....The tree looked like a big potato, just placed on the surface, with the "frontlegs" in the ground..this is why I call the tre "foodog" or "Shishi" ...it has plenty of roots all arround now. It can go in a shallow container now. ( I think)

Hi Peter
Thankt you very much for the virtuals...it is a gift, to be able to see diffrent options, and to have other people looking at a tree...As owner, can a person gett stuck in one idea. This interesting help, can safe a person from buying the wrong pot, even if the pot is desired, and find a better option.
Like Jay, was I very happy about the first image....now I must find the pot Wink.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsai monkey on Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:15 pm

Hi Yvonne,
The colour is very similar to Peter's 3rd image on his 1st post. That in a Lotus pot, top draw!!

"Zing" mmmmmmm, I suppose it means somthing like "lift" or "impact".
Dark(ish) foilage with a lovely muted textured trunk and "loud" coloured pot = "Zing"
Of course this is only in my humble opinion Embarassed

Regards,
Simon

bonsai monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:26 pm

Hi Simon

The pot suggestion sounds interesting, not bad at all Smile Zing, I thought you did not really like the type of canopy on the tree...but I zing, I understand now.

Very kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsai monkey on Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:38 pm

Yvonne Graubaek wrote:Hi Simon

I thought you did not really like the type of canopy on the tree

..............far from it Yvonne, I love this tree even if it is a wee bit larger than my usual choice Wink

Regards,
Simon

bonsai monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  horst on Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:23 am

How about this: pot could be a bit smaller, glaze a bit darker.
Best Horst

horst

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:59 am

Thanks Simon Smile

Hi Horst
When I imagine the pot smaller, is it not a bad pot at all, I also like the collour. Many thanks for your suggestion:)

kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Hans Vleugels on Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:09 am

Hi Yvonne,

Something about the tree itself. Personally I think the foliage is a bit too much present on your olive. It looks a bit like a wig to me, if you know what I mean. Is there no way to create some space in between the foliage, so you get some pads? I realize it is a small tree, but it sure would benefit this marvelous tree...

For the rest I think it's amazing that you can realize this kind of foliage on such a small olive in your country. Nice work... thumbs up

Hans Vleugels

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:19 am

Hi Hans

I was beginning to have the thought....and now you say it, is it a good idea to do something about the canopy next spring.

The tree was a yamadori from France Smile

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:34 pm

Hans Vleugels wrote:Hi Yvonne,

Something about the tree itself. Personally I think the foliage is a bit too much present on your olive. It looks a bit like a wig to me, if you know what I mean. Is there no way to create some space in between the foliage, so you get some pads? I realize it is a small tree, but it sure would benefit this marvelous tree...

For the rest I think it's amazing that you can realize this kind of foliage on such a small olive in your country. Nice work... thumbs up

This spring I asked for advise how to cut back the olive....and friendly people, who saw I live in cold Denmark, gave me safe advises....
I cut off many branches, and cut back the rest to 4-5 leaves....I looked compleetely stupid, and I gave the tree, (who by the way is living outdoor ) the DODD-treatment....wich left the tree with a nice shape, and no leaves.
This is how it look now.....very healthy, and will soon have covered the branches with leaves. It is not going to be a wig again Smile.

This winter will i place it in a smaller pot. I will not buy a new one, before i know the exact sice....I think the style will be european....What is best...glazed, or unglazed?

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:19 pm

A little update on the olive Smile

I have been buzzy carving the olive....inspired by Will Baddeley, and a photo of a acient olive, I took a photo of, on Crete more than 20 years ago...

One must imagine the tree with dry gray wood, and the live viens without sharp cuts, ending in a natural manner, much callus is not expected....Together with the new crown, am I hoping have a nice olivetree in two years....I just saw the right pot ( I think) on Peters homepage Smile ....But I dare not buy before I know how small a pot the tree will go in....Can someone tell me, when it is safe/ the best time to repot the tree?

A closeup on the large deail...it has 6 connected peekholes, the smaller has 2 Smile

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie on Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:18 pm

Yvonne Graubaek wrote:....What is best...glazed, or unglazed?
Hello, Yvonne!
I would say the pot to be chosen unglazed. Having in mind the olives in Greece, I think that an unglazed shallow, crackled pot in grey tones would resemble the dry low walls made of grey stones or even the grey rocks of the Greek mountains where the olives live.
But then again, this olive lives in Denmark… So this is your choice!

I think perhaps the branches need to thicken so that good taper is achieved. Most probably you will let them grow free…? This been said, I would like to share a method of pruning for achieving ramification. You know olives ramify very well. This method is specific to olives and I have read this from a Spanish bonsai artist. I have applied this on one of my olives and the technique does work.
Well, around late April (for Greece) you defoliate keeping the stems of the leaves, except the very last pair of leaves at the tip of the branch. You will be astonished to see that every node will give you a pair of new leaves.

my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:45 pm

Hi Alexandra

I think I prefer a pot with glaze, in the collors you mention...I want the same as you Smile

If you look up the pages, can you see I already cut the tree back as you mentioned, and the tree shot back a LOT from bare innerbranches, it did not even have to have a tip.... It used to look like a wig....I removed half of the branches, and this is the ones I keept...I dont think the trunk need taper, but to make the lower branches more fat, have I already sacrificebranches on the underside of the lowest branches on the backside going on...At the moment am I looking for ditos on the low front ( again)...in a sleepy moment did I remove them Embarassed.
The tree is quit small, still a shohin, and to lot let it grow unchecked is not really needed

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 3:55 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum