Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Redwood Empire Bonsai Society annual show 2011

+6
jrodriguez
Ka Pabling
AdamG
DangerousBry
Russell Coker
misfit1
10 posters

Go down

Redwood Empire Bonsai Society annual show 2011 Empty Redwood Empire Bonsai Society annual show 2011

Post  misfit1 Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:04 pm

REBS annual show is this weekend at the Veteran's Hall in Santa Rosa, California and I thought I'd share a few photos. The exhibit was HUGE with over 200 trees. Amazing!!

I thought since it is the Redwood Empire Bonsai show I should start the post off with...what else? An awesome Sequoiadendron sempervirens.

Redwood Empire Bonsai Society annual show 2011 Rebs111
Pomegranate
Redwood Empire Bonsai Society annual show 2011 Dsc00010
Liquidamber
Redwood Empire Bonsai Society annual show 2011 Dsc00011
Another Coastal Redwood
Redwood Empire Bonsai Society annual show 2011 Dsc00012
California Juniper
Redwood Empire Bonsai Society annual show 2011 Rebs210
Japanese White Pine
Redwood Empire Bonsai Society annual show 2011 Rebs310
Gingko
Redwood Empire Bonsai Society annual show 2011 Rebs1310
Hawthorn
Redwood Empire Bonsai Society annual show 2011 Rebs1710

This is just a few of the wonderful trees being shown. Kathy Shaner, the REBS sensei, is doing demos both days and there are tons of vendors (I bought a wonderful Redwood yamadori pre-bonsai from Mendocino Coast Bonsai!). I am truly fortunate to belong to such an wonderful organization.
misfit1
misfit1

Back to top Go down

Redwood Empire Bonsai Society annual show 2011 Empty Re: Redwood Empire Bonsai Society annual show 2011

Post  Russell Coker Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:07 pm

Wow, those redwoods are fascinating! Nice CA juniper too. They look nice with plenty of foliage, it helps to soften all of that dead wood. Is that hawthron a native tree?

PLEASE post more pictures!
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Redwood Empire Bonsai Society annual show 2011 Empty Re: Redwood Empire Bonsai Society annual show 2011

Post  DangerousBry Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:11 pm

Great trees... Likes like a great setup!!
Will you be following these photo's with some more?? Have you got one from an elevated position for an overall view??

Thanks again ... Bryan
DangerousBry
DangerousBry

Back to top Go down

Post  misfit1 Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:28 pm

Russell Coker wrote:Wow, those redwoods are fascinating! Nice CA juniper too. They look nice with plenty of foliage, it helps to soften all of that dead wood. Is that hawthron a native tree?

PLEASE post more pictures!

I'm not sure if that Hawthorn in particular was collected in CA, but they are found in the wild here. Whether or not they have always been indigenous to Cali or they are an exotic species, i don't know. I do know many species are listed in Jepson's manual of Higher Plants of California including common hawthorn, Craetaegus monogyna.

Here's some more photos:

Elm group
Redwood Empire Bonsai Society annual show 2011 Rebs311
California Juniper
Redwood Empire Bonsai Society annual show 2011 Dsc00013
Hinoki Cypress? grove
Redwood Empire Bonsai Society annual show 2011 Rebs510
I think this is a Shimpaku, I can't remember
Redwood Empire Bonsai Society annual show 2011 Rebs710
Again, Shimpaku?
Redwood Empire Bonsai Society annual show 2011 Rebs810
I believe this was a Utah Juniper
Redwood Empire Bonsai Society annual show 2011 Rebs910
Trident Maple
Redwood Empire Bonsai Society annual show 2011 Rebs1110
Korean Hornbeam
Redwood Empire Bonsai Society annual show 2011 Rebs1511

I've got more photos if you're still interested. There were so many trees there Shocked
misfit1
misfit1

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:13 pm

More, please!
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  AdamG Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:19 pm

That Ginkgo looks massive!
AdamG
AdamG

Back to top Go down

Redwood Empire Bonsai Society annual show 2011 Empty Redwood Empire Bonsai Society annual show 2011

Post  Ka Pabling Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:05 am

This show is really amazing! congratulations to the organizers! lol!

Best wishes
ka pabling
Ka Pabling
Ka Pabling

Back to top Go down

Post  jrodriguez Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:39 pm

The so called 'Utah Juniper' is actually a San Jose Juniper stock grafted with Shimpaku, by Jim Gremel.
jrodriguez
jrodriguez

Back to top Go down

Post  misfit1 Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:03 pm

jrodriguez wrote:The so called 'Utah Juniper' is actually a San Jose Juniper stock grafted with Shimpaku, by Jim Gremel.

Thanks, jrodriguez. Smile I couldn't remember. I did recall seeing that tree before, though. Jim had brought it into one of the monthly meetings for "show and tell".

Last edited by misfit1 on Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:06 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : miswording)
misfit1
misfit1

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:10 pm

I wanted to add this with misfit1's permission...

http://bonsaitonight.com/2011/08/30/redwood-empire-bonsai-societys-28th-annual-show/

It was sent to me by a former resident/member who now lives here and lurks on the forum. Anyway, great trees. At least one of the trees identified as shimpaku is actually a California native Mendocino cypress, and for me is a far more interesting tree than a home grown or imported shimpaku. I'd love to know more about it...

If you folks are IBC members I sure wish you'd share your trees here.

R
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Redwood Empire Bonsai Society annual show 2011 Empty Mendocino Pygmy Cypress

Post  bob shimon Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:06 am

The Mendocino Cypress is mine, as well as the 2 redwoods. This is an unusally large one for this species which I collected 18 years ago. They are stunted due to the soil conditions in which they grow, in a small area, close to the Northern Calif. coast. They are old trees with nice bark that grow nicely once the old soil is removed over a period of a couple of years. The foliage is similar to shimpaku but has a citrus smell to it. The picture is out of proportion, and it looks much better in person. If you notice the stand, it appears to be square, when it is in fact rectangular. I'm looking for a different pot, probably a rectangle.
In 2012, the theme for the Golden State Bonsai Federation (GSBF) Convention will be California natives to be held in Sacramento. I have set aside 8 of these for a workshop. This will be the first time that a workshop has been offered on this species. We only collect 15 - 20 a year. If you want to see a nice one, that is in its early stages of development, go to Ryan Neil's web site. It is a cascade that he got from us shortly after returning from Japan. Click on gallery, then click on portfolio. Click on the picture, and it will show you a before and after picture.

bob shimon

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:16 pm

Thanks Bob.

I think you have a real treasure there, and with your redwoods too. I wish I could grow material like that, much less collect it. That Monterey pine on the webite is really great too. There is so much amazing local material aound the USA but we so rarely get to see it, here anyway.

Also, thanks for the heads-up about Ryan's tree. I'll be sure to check it out. Sounds like y'all are planning a great convention too. Oh, and I sure your cypress will be beautiful in ANY pot you choose!

Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  coh Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:36 pm

Great show. Especially like that cork oak (not shown here, but on the link Russell provided). Also like the unusual items (fig, grape) shown on the link.

Does anyone know which species of liquidambar that is (styraciflua, orientalis, something else)? Curious because one of my long term projects is an American Sweetgum and I don't come across them too often. I have to say that I'm not particularly fond of the shape/styling chosen for this one, though.

Chris
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Post  drgonzo Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:44 am

Could I offer you something sir?... Coffee?.... Tea?..... Accent Plant?

Redwood Empire Bonsai Society annual show 2011 Rebs7110
Stuff like that just makes me smile Very Happy
drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Post  Agus Pandetria Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:36 am

Excellent show, thank you for sharing all pictures.

Agus Pandetria

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down