And yet another Juniper pre-bonsai help! ;) UPDATE: NEW IMAGES ADDED

View previous topic View next topic Go down

And yet another Juniper pre-bonsai help! ;) UPDATE: NEW IMAGES ADDED

Post  alonsou on Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:22 am

What would you guys recommended for this little Juniper? Any ideas or virtuals would be highly appreciate it. Smile

The 360 gallery for more details

Last edited by alonsou on Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:51 am; edited 1 time in total

alonsou

Back to top Go down

and yet another juniper pre bonsai

Post  moyogijohn on Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:39 am

INHO,, The second picture would be the front... you need to thin out the foliage to see the branchs more clearly looks nice so far..take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Re: And yet another Juniper pre-bonsai help! ;) UPDATE: NEW IMAGES ADDED

Post  JimLewis on Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:43 pm

Not a bad starter bonsai. You need to trim it a bit so it looks a bit more orderly. Repot in the spring and experiment with different planting angles -- nothing drastic, but something that avoids that trunk rising straight out of the pot and then kinking. An informal upright seems logical. Concentrate on allowing growth in the upper (top) part of the canopy and not letting it get wider.

Thinning -- a little -- will help, but you do NOT want to thin it to the point where you have little pom-poms of foliage on the ends of the branches.

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes on Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:43 pm

What I would do. Remove the jin. Use the long branch as a cascade and lean the trunk at least 60 degrees. If you use the second photo as the front, the bend in the trunk might become part of the cascade effect.

Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona on Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:04 pm

What is the species and the size please Alonsou?

fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  alonsou on Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:12 pm

fiona wrote:What is the species and the size please Alonsou?

I'm pretty sure this is a Prostata Juniper, about 10~11" tall with about 1.5~1.75" diameter trunk

alonsou

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis on Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:56 pm

I don't see anything but a very run-of-the-mill juniper cascade in there. Juniper cascades are the cheap way out of a styling dilemma. Yawn.

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona on Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:35 pm

I think the height kind of precludes a cascade anyway. Informal upright would be my choice.

fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  alonsou on Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:49 am

Before

This is where I'm at with it now

As you can see its just under the 7" tall making it into the shohin category, but still needs lots of work to be done. For now it will rest and I will improve the foliage pads and help it maintain its overall health condition.

I hope you like it!.

See the 360 Virtual gallery here
Original thread here

alonsou

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan on Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:09 pm

I'm not a fan of how the tree goes off to the right, but that top branch goes off to the left. If I were you I would remove most of it but leave a jin.

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona on Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:30 am

IMHO a jin would not be the right option.

Here's just a thought that popped into my head as a development - hope it's similar to the foliage pad development you saw yourself, Alonsou. The pads at the bottom are not as I'd want but the pic was disappearing of the bottom of my screen and I couldn't get at it enough:

Oh and a pot change is an obvious must I should say but then I guess you had worked that out already Wink .

fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  alonsou on Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:54 am

Tions, your virtual looks fantastic.. I love it... Some one else over another forum also suggested to follow the route with a Jin.. now I don't really know what to do.. I do like the jin option but also I do like your visualization... Here's the virtual they made for me

And I think that the option of a cresent pot will fit really good Smile

alonsou

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 4:12 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum