Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My Danish stones

+17
dick benbow
my nellie
Andre Beaurain
Chris Cochrane
Todd Ellis
vlado
ogie
crust
kora
sunip
Billy M. Rhodes
trantanhung_nt
landerloos
peterbrod
drgonzo
stonener
fiona
21 posters

Page 11 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

My Danish stones - Page 11 Empty Re: My Danish stones

Post  Guest Tue May 21, 2013 12:05 pm

Hi Lennard

I tried to "sell" the stone as a mountain....it did not work, both you and dick see a bird...me too...I had the stone for a while, and came to like it more and more, as the doban was out of stone, did i take it in for a closer look.
I have searched on google to find the phoenix, and came across the japanese version...it is called a Ho-o....read more about it here http://www.onmarkproductions.com/html/ho-oo-phoenix.shtml I found some of the featured was very close to what can be seen in the stone....wide swallowmouth, and a snakeneck...the proportions and movement in the rest of the stone fit the Ho-o nicely.
The Ho-o on the doban is a flying such...called Tobi Ho-o....a another on is called a Ho-o Maru, as far as i understand does this bird sit in a treetop, mine is resting.
Now...how would a diza for this stone be?

About the patina of the same age....This stone was once melted dawn in one piese...nothing have been broken off, and the millions of years have given the stone the old surface.
Had the stone, had a piece knocked off, lets say 10.000 years ago, would the patina have been the same, but the surface of this part diffrent.
If a stone has a resent chip, is it very easy to see, and the collor will be difrent...will look like the stone once broke.
A stone can have had a serius beatup 10.000 years ago, and all of the stone will look like it is one stone, not a broken.

Not easy to explain..maybe a another person can do better.
kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 21, 2013 12:25 pm

dick benbow wrote:I see the stone as a bird of prey looking back over it's shoulder at us. I like the ruggedness of the stone. I would prefer it on a daiza rather then in a suiban. And that is because i see an living creature in it's shape I think it fits better in a dai then a base of sand as if it looked more mountain like. I would love to see the dai a smooth black lacquor finish to contrast with the lighter grey color and ruggedness of the stone. I can picture it on a higher elevated stand as if perched on a mountain crag looking over the valley below.
If I chose to put it in a display, I would love to see a scroll with an impression of a beautiful blue sky with lofty white clouds and maybe in the foreground of the display a small tenpai on a jitta with a hare as something a bird of prey might be looking for it's next meal.

Hi Dick

Your observations with doban is right, if the stone can't be seen as a mountain, and only a bird comes to your mind, does it not work, all for the reasons you gave.
your display sounds nice, but as i see the Ho-o ( read my last reply), will the bird not look at pray, but only have a small plant.
I am not kean on the hare with a eagle, as this story is a kind of too "waterproof", it show YOUR vision, but does denie a another viewer the option to have hes/hers own dreams abut the eagle...they may only want "free as an eagle"

This hare/eagle works in your home, and I do similar playfull things at home, but in a display in a larger exhibition will some viewers be desturbed by it, as they would have a another vision, and feel dissapointed.

In a small exhibition f.eks. on a marketplace would I do the hare/eagle, as it is not expected people have any knowledge of stones at all, and therefore will it be a yes-moment for them if they suddenly see, and maybe become more interested in stones.

But then again, on a another forum had i almost my taken off, because i did not give the story, only the stone...so you never know...I will stick to what i think is right.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  sunip Tue May 21, 2013 7:24 pm

Hello,
Yes i have an impression of a Phenix as well.
Is the Phenix not seated in your secret hart?
Therefore the hare would be our normal hart ready to be taken by the Phenix.
I do not feel the need for a normal hunting scene.
A daiza would be good and a real challenge;
sitting on a branch of the tree of live, resurrecting out of fire....

I can not explain better and can only give some thoughts on chipped stones;
Chipped parts on a stone can through erosion and patina build up, give a very attractive stone.
A stone without any chips had indeed a special feeling but some form of erosion is always the case, when it has on that some patina build up as well this is ofcours eve better.
If you know how a certain kind of stone will split apart or will erode under certain circumstances
a stone search can be more effective.
I am on occasions surprised how old damages on a stone can ad to the evocative qualities in a stone.
In the end a lot is about the individual qualities of a stone and an open mind to see.
Sunip Wink

sunip

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 21, 2013 7:36 pm

Hi Sunip

Nice said about the chipped stones...this is what i called the broken stones...close related.
So much more can be said in this case Smile

The Ho-o does have a diffrent story from the phenix, also does it have a diffrent shape, please read my link if you care.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  sunip Tue May 21, 2013 7:52 pm

Yvonne Graubaek wrote:Hi Sunip
The Ho-o does have a diffrent story from the phenix, also does it have a diffrent shape, please read my link if you care.
Kind regards Yvonne
Hello Yvonne.
Yes i know, but not for me.
For me it is all about the same only told in a bit different way in an other tradition.
Sorry i was not clear enough, i see it more in an universal kind of way.
Sunip Wink

sunip

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 21, 2013 8:45 pm

Thats OK, no problem
Just like religion, all the same in the end Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Andre Beaurain Fri May 24, 2013 11:34 am

Yvonne Graubaek wrote:
My Danish stones - Page 11 Img_2518

Kind regards Yvonne

This is a beautifull Doban Yvonne. It looks huge, how big is it?

Is this the one you recently bought on e-bay?

I have a greedy disire to own it! ..........another terrible sin! I'm evil. Shocked

Love and light
Ps. as you say...its all the same.....
Andre Beaurain
Andre Beaurain

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri May 24, 2013 12:05 pm

Hi Andre

The doban is 44 x 25.5 x 10.5 cm ...I can understand you want one, and sometimes is it possible to win them on Ebay quit cheap...I have seen many go cheap...this one was...had it for 1.5 years
You are evil to want one????, what does it make me? I love you

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:44 am

A couple of days ago, I found a VERY old stone by the beach, with a great surface..as soon as the the surface/stone is cleaned, will It look absolutely great, black, green and more collors, basaltblend ....no matter how I turn it arround will it not be a nice suiseki.
If I cut the stone will two fairly nice stones be the result......thinking hard about trying this...also have I had a second granitestone for a very long time. It could be cut at the same time.
My Danish stones - Page 11 Img_2712
first front....it is a quit big stone
My Danish stones - Page 11 Img_2713
back
My Danish stones - Page 11 Img_2714
birdsview
My Danish stones - Page 11 Img_2715
side
My Danish stones - Page 11 Img_2716
side

The stone on the underside
My Danish stones - Page 11 Img_2810
front
My Danish stones - Page 11 Img_2811
birdsview
My Danish stones - Page 11 Img_2812
side
My Danish stones - Page 11 Img_2813
back
My Danish stones - Page 11 Img_2814
side

The granite...a cut will give a 12 cm tall stone
My Danish stones - Page 11 Img_2815
front
My Danish stones - Page 11 Img_2816
back
My Danish stones - Page 11 Img_2817
side
My Danish stones - Page 11 Img_2818
side
It is the first time I have thought about doing this....the first for the OLD surface, and the second for the shape...what do you think of them?

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  dick benbow Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:13 pm

love the stones. Honestly feel with the grainyness in the stones if a small grained finer sand would contrast better.
dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:57 am

Hi Dick

Yes the grain is much to big, if it had been a display, also is the pot very deep/ endless on the photo...this is what I had, to be able to show were to cut the stones, wich was my only intention.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Duncan Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:04 am

Hi Yvonne I see a Blond lady with long hair, And flowwing summer dress sat back sun on her face, no nudity though LOL. A loverly stone :-)

Nick Duncan

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:35 am

The impossible shaped stone with awesome patina was cut yesterday Smile
My Danish stones - Page 11 Img_2829
My Danish stones - Page 11 Img_2830
was....

One cut gave two suiseki
My Danish stones - Page 11 Img_2831
20 cm long 12 Deep, and 9.5 cm high

My Danish stones - Page 11 Img_2832
20 cm long 12 Deep and 5.5 high

Both stones was VERY hard material, and had no brakes.....only Deeply eroded...they still have some algues left from the ocean, on the surface, so a nice long gardenvisit for the rest of the summer, or maybe longer, will do them good.

The granite hutstonematerial I had in my garden, used to be like this
My Danish stones - Page 11 Img_2833
My Danish stones - Page 11 Img_2834
was

My Danish stones - Page 11 Img_2835
Now a hutstone    11 cm wide  11 cm high, and 8cm Deep

Cant wait to carve the daizas

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:26 pm

I have been working hard a couple of days......
My Danish stones - Page 11 Img_2913
Danish granite, standing 20.5 cm long, 10.5 cm Deep. and 10 cm high.....the front
My Danish stones - Page 11 Img_2914
back
My Danish stones - Page 11 Img_2915
side

Have a nice day...Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:24 am

I have finished the daizas for the seperated suisekitwins
My Danish stones - Page 11 Img_2923
This side of the stone reacted very nice to rubbing, as it had some blendstone....the lovely green collor does not really show in this Photo, sorry.

My Danish stones - Page 11 Img_2924
This one will need more time in the garden.....
The guy who cut the stone, said it was diabas....a very eroded truly hard rock

My Danish stones - Page 11 Img_2925
My Danish stones - Page 11 Img_2926

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  ogie Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:08 am

I like your last two stone thanks for sharing
Your friend,
Ogie
ogie
ogie

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:01 pm

Hi Ogie

Always nice to hear from you. I am happy you like the stones.
I am surpriced ( or maybe not ) why I have not had any questions, about why I decided to cut stones....But I will tell you....I give lectures in Denmark, and is having many questions about cut stones too...insteadt of only explain what is being said and done by others , can I now add my own experinces...witch is much more than expected...feelings, daizawork etc...it was a kind of a job to carve the 9 mm high daiza with a small proxon...not easy.
Also can i add my thoughts about the issue " dead stones"....

I like my 2 cutstones, and look forward to enjoy the patina as it developes.....I am not planning to cut more stones, as I live in a area were it is possible to find flat stones...normaly would this stone we talk about have stayed on the beach...people who collect big jades and murphystones, they need to cut.....I appreciate people who appreciate their lokal stones, and gett the very best out of their love for their suisekistones.
I could say a lot more, and is pleased to be able to add all this to my lectures.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  trantanhung_nt Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:02 am

Hello Yvonne ,
I am agree with you ... All is very interesting from landscape stone .
Thank you very much your comments .
Sincerely ,
Hưng - Trần .

trantanhung_nt

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:46 am

In the fall, we had a terrible storm in Denmark, with the highest waterlevel so far....The stone shown 2 times on page 14, used to be the a part of the wall behind the house, that now is all gone
My Danish stones - Page 11 Img_4110
This is how the stone looked late last year...
My Danish stones - Page 11 Img_3510

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:25 am

Was by the beach yesterday, and came home with theese two stones...

My Danish stones - Page 11 Img_4812
It does look a little like a hutstone, and the profile is nice... I will keep it for a while, to see if I really like it after all...

My Danish stones - Page 11 Img_4813
No complains about the buttom.
This stone has a nice even fairly old surface, but is ofcourse compleetely raw, about 4 years in the garden, will do a lot to this kind of stone...I am working on a daiza at the moment, a danish stone of same kind, it is really nice in the surface after having spend the 4 years in the garden...so I have high hopes for this one.

My Danish stones - Page 11 Img_4814
This little danseki-like mountainstone is sandstone, it is one of the prettier of this kind I have found...normaly are they quit round, and I do prefer a oblong landskape stone.
It has remains from seaweed, and this must ofcourse have to go, before anthing else can be done with the stone, seaweed remains must not be mistaken with trace of lichen developed in the yoseki ...I think it will be great fun to make a daiza for the stone eventuly.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:07 am

This little unimportant stone once caught my eye on the Beach, the shape, old surface, and the good hard stonequality, (but with a very bland and raw one- note surface), made me bring it home....many times during the last 4 years, was I close to throw it out, but kept it anyway.
One month ago after not looking at it all Winter, did I to my surprice see, the surface had matured up, and now had a vibrant collorfull surface...no rubbing has been done, only the handling of the stone, while I carved the daiza

My Danish stones - Page 11 Img_5011
It is standing 11 cm tall 8 wide, and 5 cm deep...daiza is hardwood..the photo does not realy give the stones surface the justice it deserves, it has become stunning.

There had been a lot of confusion among the readers of IBC about yoseki, and and really strange things without any logik had been said and taught.
I thank Kev Baily for sending us the link of Martin Pauli, it made me understand.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Andre Beaurain Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:10 am

It looks like a Mountain giving birth to another..

Your Daiza is very elegant indeed, well done Yvonne!

Love and light
Andre Beaurain
Andre Beaurain

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:38 am

Hi Andre

A mountain giving birth to a new mountain is also what I have seen in the stone, and still see...a top slowly sliding off, this was when the two tops was the most eyecatching on the stone...but as surface now has taken over, it came to me while I was making the daiza, it could very well be a image off a boll from last year.

Happy you like the daiza, I really do enjoy making them.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:34 pm

Despite more of the features we look for in suiseki, did I have this stone in my garden for 6 years before I knew what to do about it....

It needed a kanji, to make sense
My Danish stones - Page 11 Img_5012

the front say "hope"...like many others could I need a little of this...the kanji has been engraved and painted
My Danish stones - Page 11 Img_5013
The small granitestone is standing 13.5 cm wide, 7 high, and 4.5 cm deep
My Danish stones - Page 11 Img_5014
back
The stone need to be hold a little in the hand to gain the warmer collor it had before i washed it  Smile 
Due to the kanji do I not know if this stone can be called a suiseki/viewingstone now...does anyone of you know?

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:31 am

" Last snow in spring"
Danish gneis...standing 16 cm. wide, 8.5 high, and 11 cm. Deep

My Danish stones - Page 11 Img_5016

The stone was unacceptable sharp in the collors for a landscapestone, when I found it in the seawater, but a handfull of years in the garden, have made it more quiet, and I like it as a suiseki now.

It used to be very sharp light gray, and light green, not pretty with the more cream "snow"...I only kept it because of the shape back then...

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next