Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My Danish stones

+17
dick benbow
my nellie
Andre Beaurain
Chris Cochrane
Todd Ellis
vlado
ogie
crust
kora
sunip
Billy M. Rhodes
trantanhung_nt
landerloos
peterbrod
drgonzo
stonener
fiona
21 posters

Page 8 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

My Danish stones - Page 8 Empty Re: My Danish stones

Post  Guest Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:31 pm

Hi Chris

You have a nice stone...
And thank you for letting us all know some facts.

I never claimed my stone was good, I just did not want to part with it for reasons already described.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  landerloos Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:22 pm

I think Yvonnes stone hase a very nice lavaflow.

Kind regards
Peter
landerloos
landerloos

Back to top Go down

Post  sunip Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:22 pm

Hello Yvonne and Chris,
Thanks for your replies.
My virtual is indeed about free improvisation to study the impact of shapes for all members.(as i am also used to do in my work)
So not directly a critic or advise to change things, Yvonne is showing clearly some good skills here.
Sorry if this was not clear to all.
The decision to have the most favorable shape is clear, but it can also depend on a certain mood or situation where for example a horizontal, massive or more elegant seat is more appropriate to underline that, but this will be only on certain times.
A case study like here is interesting, the illustrated possibilities can learn us a lot.
You are both right on the thing about the seat being to thick and not in balance, this was certainly in my mind but i took only one step,
so here is the second if permitted.
Sunip Wink
My Danish stones - Page 8 Untitl49

sunip

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:22 pm

landerloos wrote:I think Yvonnes stone hase a very nice lavaflow.

Kind regards
Peter

Hi Peter

I am happy you just like Chris see the the brakedawn, who gives the room for the lavaflow ( there are even little stripes in the flow) they may not be visible on the photo though.
It is this part of the little stone ( seat only 11 x 1.5 cm), that made me keep it, even though it is not flawless.

My Danish stones - Page 8 Img_0226

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:07 am

My new camera is giving me a lot of problems, as it does not show the stone as it really are....I have taken theese two photos with zoom, the only way, am I afraid....I may learn the teqnik later, but I still struggle.

Theese two photos is showing the stone nicely Smile

The stone is black granit, and is 24 cm. long. The stand is a 5 leget hardwood.

The stone had a long trawel with 3 large seaweed attaced to it, befor it landed on my beach in a storm. The seaweeds was placed on the upper part of the stone, and prevented it to become smooth here, like it is on the rest of the terrasses.

After the stone was cleaned from discolorations from seaweed outdoor, went the stone straigth to indoor yoseki, and has already become nicer....From my japanese books, can I see, far from all hard stones are smooth all ower, and it give the stone a caracter, I personal like very much. Indoor rubbing will give the stone the deep beauty as time goes by.

My Danish stones - Page 8 Img_0310
front

My Danish stones - Page 8 Img_0311
back

I hope you like the stone Smile

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Andre Beaurain Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:51 am

Thats beautifull. very elegant. and now, after who knows how many years, it layed under the ocean... it feels the light of the sun .amazing

I also love your volcanic stone,
And I dont know much of rules for daiza, but I did study Design, and to me, your first daiza, with the wide rim ... wow!...that reflect the feeling of a volcanic mountain sitting in vast plain.
I think you should recarve your first daiza, and use it as an alternative base for your stone. That way you can change the mood of the stone. Why should a stone only have one daiza? Look at your sea stone. It had a biopolar life, first in water, now on land. So for that you should carve a daiza that reflects the sea, and the nice daiza its sitting in now.. reflects the land...
Andre Beaurain
Andre Beaurain

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:43 pm

Hi Andre

Yes, I also find the stone very elegant...and to imagine what this stone "saw" during the trawel is amazing, and unbeliveable.

The wide rim, to show the vast plain, was also my idea back then....This is not the japanese idea behind the suiseki way of appreciation of the stone, the stone has to stand by it selves....And it is the japanese style, I like to feel and do...In China is it more normal to carve the surroundings, if the stone lack a little detail. The chinese carvers is very skilled, and can do that any time ....I am still a beginner..But I am quit sure, I will never be that good a carver. Am I happy, I prefer the japanese way in the long run.....Not that I deslike chinese stones and their seats at all...I have a few.

I am not sure, the seat I carved as the next is a succes either, a another design could be better.

It is not uncommon a stone has two seats...If a stone can stand in two nice ways, are they given two seats.

I like your reasons for giving the last stone two seats. But in suiseki is it not common ( never) to show were the stone came from.
You look at the stone as it is. And this stone is a stepstone ( landskapestone ) no ocean is here to be found.

Sometimes is japanese mountainstones exhibited weath in suibans in the summer, but in the winter is only daiza used. This is two diffrent ways of showing the season of the year.

In China do they often carve nice seats for shipstones, or coastalstones with waves...I dont remember I saw this in japanese carvings ( it must be the chinese way again). In the japanese style is the seat kept more simple.
Even though the sometimes carve amasing rims...If you take a look at Peterbrods daizas, will you maybe understand a little more.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  peterbrod Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:52 pm

yvonne ThumbsUp My Danish stones - Page 8 P4250110My Danish stones - Page 8 P4250111
peterbrod
peterbrod

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:50 pm

Hi Peterbrod

nr. 1 NICE

nr. 2 Look forward to see the result.

Kind regards Yvonne Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:05 am

I found this strange fairly dark brown on a beach near my home the other day...only a little was lying there as a wave.
It was surpricing to find the sand in Denmark...not expected, so I had to bring it home....It may be too dark for suibansand, but made this display anyway, using a danish flint.

My Danish stones - Page 8 Img_0710

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Andre Beaurain Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:47 pm

[quote="peterbrod"]yvonne ThumbsUp My Danish stones - Page 8 P4250110

Peter did you carve this beautifull daiza, if so, I want to be you when I grow up.
Andre Beaurain
Andre Beaurain

Back to top Go down

Post  Andre Beaurain Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:50 pm

Its like vulcanic sand ? Or does it appear more burgundy in colour, It looks very close to my Garnet sand!

My Danish stones - Page 8 Img_0710

Kind regards Yvonne[/quote]
Andre Beaurain
Andre Beaurain

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:12 am

Hi Andre

The sand is not vulcanic, and it is burgundy-brown, with no orange, it match the collor of the daizas feet.
I have no idea what it is...I thought of something metallic, but it does not react to an magnet....I was thinking on your garnetsand as I collected it.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:17 am

Hi friends

About 3 weeks ago, was I terrible bored, and placed a low bid on a absolutely lovely edo-periode copper doban....I won it for the price of 200 dollars....very unexpected Smile ......I did not make my husbands day Embarassed
My Danish stones - Page 8 Img_0910

I had this lovely danish two peak mountainstone, witch also is a strong image of the japanese mythmonster Kappa.
The doban may be a bit small for the stone ( What do you think? )....but the patern of the doban is wateriris, and ducks swimming in water....So Kappa is not all that wrong placed today.....

For those of you, who does not know Kappa, is he a little froglike fellow with long limbs, a turtleshell ( witch on the stone, can be seen all the way arround from the front).....He has hair on hes head, and a small round moon/disc on the top of hes head.....The profile, and the eye, is pretty much, the same as the stone.

Kappa live in streams or lakes, and is friends with frogs and fish...he is a little teaser, and like to catch the eels, and people who take a swim in the water, are shure to have their leg pulled.

Kappa only eat cucombers, and must go on land to find the food....if the disk on hes head dries out, will Kappa sadly die.

The stone stands 11 cm tall....with the doban, more...Hope you like it

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Andre Beaurain Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:51 am

Wow wow wow.
I'm very, very yealous.
You Danish Which you, tongue how did you find this one before me!!!

I've also been hunting for Dobans, not an easy task, and o my god the prices!! Then there is the question weather it IS an antique or not?

I think you got a bargain Yvonne, it its a real beauty!

O and Kappa yes, very nice, looks like Kappa!

I think this Doban needs a Red stone. But gladly our tastes differ! Very Happy

Congratulations on finding this one Yvonne cheers
Andre Beaurain
Andre Beaurain

Back to top Go down

Post  Andre Beaurain Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:57 am

I was just thinking...

you must photograph all your stones in the new Doban.
Then we can have a vote to see which one deserves the Edo Doban!

This way we can see everyones tastes aswell.

Love and light
Andre
Andre Beaurain
Andre Beaurain

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:44 am

Hi Andre

I will find some stones, and take some photos later.....I may even have a red danish stone that fits Smile

Kind regards Yvonne...maybe I have a Ebay-page more than you, to look at tongue

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:02 pm

My danish KAPPA stone was now in line for a daiza.....
It stands H13 W13 D7 cm....Hope you like it.
My Danish stones - Page 8 Img_1123

On the beach was it just a rolling stone, amazing what a daiza can do.....I am not really in to stain the innerside of the daiza, as I like to be able to see the original piece of wood and collor..
My Danish stones - Page 8 Img_1124

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Cochrane Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:34 pm

Hi Yvonne... Whether staining it or not, this daiza should receive sealant on all sides to reduce warping. Suiseki daiza receiving any stain are typically stained on all surfaces as part of their finishing. It is much less common for shangshi seats to be stained inside sockets.

Why would you wish to see unfinished wood in the socket?
Chris Cochrane
Chris Cochrane

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:15 am

Hi Chris

As I am carving many daizas for the moment, is it usefull for me to be able to see the piece of wood every daiza came from, and the collor before it was stained....I dont just pick up a piece of wood in the right sice, but try to find wood with the right grain for this stone...and also is it important for me to be able to see how the diffrent stains react to the this piece of wood...will it suit the collor of this stone?.
This is were I am now....Ofcourse I gett your point, as this is what is the prettiest...but it has to wait.

I have two japanese stained daizas....not stained on the innerside...but this is an another unimportant story.
For know I take my time....and learn about the material, wood , witch I am still quit new too.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:53 am

My latest daiza

This red grainte stone was left in the garden a couple of months, to be naturecleaned.
As it is a very hard stone, was it afterwards taken inside the house to be rubbed, to finaly become a suiseki...appreciation, and regular dusting will be its future Smile .
Now it stands 21 cm long 8.5 cm tall, and 9 cm wide......Is it a landskapestone, or is it a birdshaped/animalshaped stone....I dont really know....what do you think?
My Danish stones - Page 8 Img_1310
Photos and information on the stone, from when it was just found, can you find on page 10.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  sunip Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:11 am

Hello Yvonne,

The stone has already improved a lot.
Yoseki, the path of attention, the path of disclosure of the hidden character is begun.
Brush and clothe and next season sun and water will give away his mystery.
Earth, water, fire and air are essential elements in the space-time for learning.
Regards, Sunip Wink

sunip

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:42 am

Hi Sunip

Nice to hear from you again Smile
I have more stones, I plan to take back in the garden summer after summer, after i made the daiza...But this is granite....it wont change in 10.000 years, from just being in the garden.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:52 am

I was shortly by the beach yesterday...came home with this stone, basicly granite Smile
My Danish stones - Page 8 Img_1318
Here is the stone watered...but it is really black/dark coffeebrown, with red markings, and unbeliveable....the vertical sides is dusted with gold.
My Danish stones - Page 8 Img_1319
The stone have some very minor crushings....I expect some nice and hard rubbing with a stif brush, will take care of this problem, in a fairly near future.
My Danish stones - Page 8 Img_1320
The stone is 27 cm. wide 15 deep and 8 cm. tall
The owerall shape is nice....and the front with the bow into the stone, is not boring, as they almost always are found, at least here in Denmark....normaly is the backside the most interesing...and then i leave them on the beach.
I hope you like this stone.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:01 am

The stone from page 12....still far from my best stone...but still I like it....
I have sharpened up the daiza...using the base I already had. The buttom line is still the same, only have I reduced the hight of the legs a little, hope you like it Smile
My Danish stones - Page 8 Img_1410
My Danish stones - Page 8 Img_1412

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next