Old daiza Neutral

New daiza.....better????

Kind regards yvonne

Back to top Go down

Re: My Danish stones

Post  sunip on Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:40 pm

Hello Yvonne,
Maybe it is because you took the picture from a higher place,
but i see not much difference in this picture (de sides of the daiza are not good visible) i think????
The edge line looks a bit softer from the front though.
Sunip Wink

sunip

Back to top Go down

Post  vlado on Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:51 pm

Hi Yvonne.
Nice work. Here is my idea, of course not so sharp edges as shown. However, the ,,daiza,, is well made.
No reason to remake it.

Have a nice day.
Vlado

vlado

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:57 pm

Hi Sunip

The daiza have become softer Smile, I will try to take better photos tomorrow.

Hi Vlado

Many thanks for your suggestion. I think my "new" daiza is maybe more what you talk about. After the last photo did I work on it again, and in the prosses have it become darker, as I could not make the same dye again.

Look forward to response tomorrow.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  peterbrod on Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:48 pm

ok Yvonne ThumbsUp - Vlado-foto,not good to break

peterbrod

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:25 am

It has been fun to make this daiza, with all the support and ideas I have recived... hope this was not the last time.
I like the daiza how it is now......

This was the last ajustment I made, thanks to Peterbrod. Also did I remove a little from the sides.
A drawing shows it better....

Please enjoy this birdsview at the stone.....how rare is this drawing/lines in the stone Smile . Where they meet in the buttom, is a natural hole. This is why the stone needed the extra support.

Kind regards Yvonne Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  vlado on Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:57 am

Yvonne
...even if Peter did not understand the text of my response, he advised well to you.
Color is more better than before, shape is nice. I wish good yoseki for this stone.

vlado

vlado

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:48 pm

Thanks Vlado Smile

The black part will need a lot of rubbing. I love stohe stone, so no problem.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

I totally agree

Post  stonener on Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:24 pm

Yvonne;
Your daiza journey has been a learning experience,
As you say some think, I also agree you do a good job.
Great support system, the best possible results!,
speak for themselves... Basketball

stonener

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:30 am

Hi Stonener

Many thanks....I hope other readers will find inspiration Smile

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  ogie on Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:34 am

Yvonne Graubaek wrote:Hi Stonener

Many thanks....I hope other readers will find inspiration Smile

Kind regards Yvonne

That's for sure Yvonne, it's always a priviledge for this forum to have someone like you who loves the art and be good at it.Keep it up and thanks for sharing

Your friend,
Alex Smile

ogie

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:43 pm

I was by the beach today...the weather was nice, and the waterlevel low.

I found 4 stones.

As I allready have many stones, will your honest oppinion be appreciaded.
Ofcourse I like the stones...but many have to be taken back to the beach anyway, as some flaws makes them less interesting in the end.

The first stone is 21 x 7.5 cm

I think it is a kind of slopestone, but not shure. The ocean gave it a lovely softcornered shape, and as it is hard, can it go in a daiza now. Only indor yoseki is needed here. The direction of the grain is lovely.

front

back

I send the rest of the stones in their own reply, as my pc sometimes behave strange.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  sunip on Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:29 am

[quote="Yvonne Graubaek"]
Only indor yoseki is needed here. The direction of the grain is lovely.

Hello Yvonne,
Lucky you with a beach like that around the corner,
Give the stone a chance, with regular yoseki some stones show some qualities over time.
Seems to be a Scandinavian red granite.
Sunip Wink

sunip

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:04 pm

Hi Sunip

You are right, some regular outdoor yoseki will not harm the stone...only make it better.

But with a hard stone like this, could I imagine, I could enjoy the stone indoor during the winter, giving it, what I feel like calling TLC, after all this rubbing I do theese days Smile ...outdoor is more distant, and the word yoseki fells somehow more appropriate there.( a joke...but you know, a joke is never just a joke)

I really like the stone, and when it is cleaned will it become even better- Right now, am I working on a daiza for a black stone ( had enough collour for now), but this new one will be the next to have a daiza.

I was talking about showing 4 stones. But prefer to wait after all Smile

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis on Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:27 am

Hi Yvonne,
I really like your first stone; the woman sitting with her arms behind her. I show your picture to my wife and she thinks it looks like a woman giving birth. I can see that too. I like your stand too.
Best,
Todd

Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:03 am

Hi Todd

Many thanks for giving me your view of the sone..also is it interesting to hear your vifes view at it, nice.

Even though the stone has a very nice collour and lines, does this welcomming new "womanlook" at the stone not make me regrett I gave it away.

In this stone I saw the chinese mountains, and I liked it like that.

But the other pictures you, and others have seen in the stone, is far from the pictures, a person who know more about the deep background for collecting theese stones see, and who enjoy to live with theese stones in the house. They give me a peace of mind, who is hard to describe, and does not show, when I have fun and friendly conversations on this forum.

The daize was far to plain for a " chinese" mountainpicture stone. But for a stone with a "mordern" picture is it now ok.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:28 pm

Hi Smile

I have carved a seat for this danish black basalt stone. 15 x 8 cm.

Now the stone will be kept indor.

Front

side

back

side

I hope you like the stone and seat. The wood is hard.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  sunip on Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:03 pm

Hello Yvonne,
A very stable character,
this side gives me the feeling of an earthy animal.
Sunip Wink

sunip

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:01 am

Hi Sunip

Yes, this stone stands firm...it does not even move, when I rub it. To find a kind of animal in the stone is a nice and positive vision Smile.
I picked up the stone for two reasons...first of all, it was a black/dark gray danseki..next, it would look stylish in a daiza. I was, and am still pleased with the stone.

Kind regards Yvonne...look forward to your pictures on the other tread Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Cochrane on Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:28 am

The daiza would improve with feet tucked more under the stone than extended outward. One foot is too-wide relative to other feet. Daiza depth supports the stone seeming to have a natural bottom-- the impression could be strengthened & the daiza's mass diminished (both worthwhile) if the daiza wall undercut the stone.

I think it arguably more a doha/"slope" stone than a danseki/"step stone." Where is the flat top, flat terracing or distinguishing line at the base of near vertical risers which distinguish step stones?

Chris Cochrane

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:20 pm

Hi Chris

I a kind of like the feet as they are, because of the shape of the stone. The one feet is to wide, but the stone would have needed two feet instead, if I had made it, the same wide as the other feet. I had it in my plan, but decided to go with the one wider feet. This is what the stone told me to do. The wall can not undercut the stone more than it already do.

It could be more of a dohastone...No problem, I am not an expert in theese thing, and do a lot of listening.

Said that have I seen many japanese danseki with out a flat top...the flat terracing is important...this stone is actully kept horisontal in some way. This stone has a fine line, that does not show on the photos...it is only very small, but it give me the danseki-feeling. Again have I seen many japanese danstones without a vertical riser, but much softer versions.

Please explain how a perfect doha should look, it might help me and others to understand the way of suiseki.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  peterbrod on Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:31 pm

Yvonne-

peterbrod

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Cochrane on Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:00 pm

Hi Yvonne... A doha/"slope (or plateau)" stone represents a distant peak with a rounded top at the end of a plain or slope.

I agree that yours isn't a classic doha. It is a stone that must be appreciated for subtle allusion. There is nothing wrong with understatement-- it is extends appreciation & arguably invites engagement better than iconic "ideal" shapes.

A danseki should always have a top which is imagined flat & it typically is flat, though the flat top might be worn on its edges. Who suggests otherwise? The flat contour of the top supplemented by near-vertical risers between steps distinguishes danseki.

There is a famous step stone Senri-no-homare "A Thousand Miles of Honor" which might arguably be confused with a doha for its lack of flatness on-top-- it is distinguishable more for its near vertical risers, the most obvious is in profile (rather than seen as distant hill meeting a plain in an open-face diagonal) as viewed from the front. Its other steps are little more than wrinkles, but notable for their precise rising edge at the bottom of each riser.

Your stone has neither the flat-top nor the precise edge of a riser meeting a plain.

Chris Cochrane

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:38 pm

Hi Chris

Many thanks for your answer.....I will take a closer look later.

Hi Peterbrod

Many thanks for many drawings...I could bring the feet a little longer under the stone. But now the sides of the daiza has close to the same flow, as the very last bit of the stone, this will be gone, if I carve more under, so I am not really sure what to think....Also do I like the stone now looks heavy, and standing steady, if feet is more under, this feeling will be lost, and the stone will maybe be more ordinary.
The one wide feet follows the lines in the stone...and what was important to me, was that this feet was just as visible as the feet on the oposite side, when the stone was shown from the front I decided. This image will be gone, if I cut away a portion of the feet, as the viewer then will look at the in/underside of this feet. So again am I not really sure what to think.

I see my stone as a nr. 2 in the line of 3 stones.

Kind regards Yvonne

Last edited by Yvonne Graubaek on Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:42 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : drawing)

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:36 pm

OK Peterbrod and Chris...
I will go back to the dremmel.....it is possible to do something about the daiza. Even though, I felt happy about it as it was.
It actully had the feet under the stone in the beginning, but I ended up thinning out the wood on the sides, and this brought out the feet, and I did not remove enough frem them, in the end.....

I am happy to have you both to correct me, what would I have done without.

Kind regards yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 10:15 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum