Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Earthquake knocked Taihu stones off bases

5 posters

Go down

Earthquake knocked Taihu stones off bases Empty Earthquake knocked Taihu stones off bases

Post  Todd Ellis Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:53 am

The recent Virginia earthquake shook my two Taihu stones out of their bases and broke into pieces. I would like to glue them back together. Does anyone have ideas of the best glue to use? These stones were approx 16 inches tall and they broke into about 4-6 pieces. The bases stayed in place on the shelf Very Happy
One stone was white, the other was a yellow stone.
Thank you for your help.
Best,
Todd
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Earthquake knocked Taihu stones off bases Empty Re: Earthquake knocked Taihu stones off bases

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:45 pm

I am not a stone person, but depending upon the porosity of the stones you will need different approaches. One thing for sure, you don't want to get the adhesive near the front of the stone, since I think it will discolor the stone. If the stones are really hard you might get away with epoxy glue, but in my limited experience, epoxy tends to soak in and probably would not work on a porous stone. I might try a product called Gorilla Glue but will definitely want to keep it back from the surface, for two reasons, one it foams and will leave a surface residue and it will soak into the stone and discolor it.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Earthquake knocked Taihu stones off bases Empty Re: Earthquake knocked Taihu stones off bases

Post  Jim Doiron Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:12 pm

You might try CA glue (Cyanoacrylate). You can get it at woodworking stores like Woodcraft and they might have it at Lowes/homedepot. It is basically super glue the the only difference is with CA glue you can get an accelerant that bonds instantly which might help cut down on any mess/squeeze out. Put the glue on one part and spray the accelerant on the other touch them together and viola. Hope this helps, sorry mother nature tried to take back her stuff.
Jim Doiron
Jim Doiron

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:21 pm

Hi Todd Ellis

I use superglue " Loctite " to almost everything....glass, cups and broken jins.

I glues not too fast, you will have time to put the stones together, before it is too late.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Earthquake knocked Taihu stones off bases Empty expert repairs

Post  stonener Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:45 pm

Ask Guy Jim, On the aisekikai.com web site, you'll be in good hands... study

stonener

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:00 am

Thank you for your help! Very Happy
Best,
Todd
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Earthquake knocked Taihu stones off bases Empty my stones and Bonsai falling down too

Post  Young Doan Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:54 pm

Hi Todd.
Thank you for sharing
I.m in fairfax Virginia too
was so scare... when i come home see my stones and Bonsai falling down too
I think that time if it shake 30 more second will be no more life with stone bonsai Thanks God
Best
Young

Young Doan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down