Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bonsai for profit, and fun.

+10
bonsaisr
Ryan
bucknbonsai
drgonzo
mbolos
fiona
marcus watts
JimLewis
John Quinn
tlynn
14 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Bonsai for profit, and fun. - Page 2 Empty Re: Bonsai for profit, and fun.

Post  rock Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:43 am

ThumbsUp
rock
rock

Back to top Go down

Bonsai for profit, and fun. - Page 2 Empty bonsai for profit and fun

Post  moyogijohn Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:57 pm

Welcome !! Have you thought yet on how you will ship these trees?? will you have a site so you can see what you are going to buy?? also when will they be for sale?? a few questions sorry,,, I wish i could be with you on a collecting dig !! good luck take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  tlynn Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:34 am

what?

tlynn

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:26 pm

what?

Some way back, you wrote:
do you know anything about alligators, cotton mouth moccasins, quick sand, ticks, misquotes that can lift a bonsia pot, and heat stroke?
(bold and underline MY addition.)

We're just chuckling over the power of a mis-typed word.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Bonsai for profit, and fun. - Page 2 Empty bonsai for profit and fun

Post  moyogijohn Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:31 pm

Tlynn ,,I am sorry if you didn,t understand my post..I am just curious about how we can see and maybe buy your trees.. as you see I am in west virginia and only have bought from brussells bonsai on line.. cypress is a tree that they do not have.... again good luck take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  tlynn Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:47 am

Rock- oh that...spell check made me do it. I gott’a stop using that, takes too long.

John- I was kidding, you mention collect would help me live longer, my wife thinks I'm nuts wadding around in the swamps with all the hazards. I haven't been over knee deep in water yet (only have knee boots now) but the weeds and brush can hide a lot of critters, and if they come after you.....forget running. I’d have to stay and fight. I intend on getting snake proof hip waders soon.

As for shipping, I don’t know anything about it, what it cost or how to package. In July after collecting my first 7 trees I put then in a plastic bag wrapped in burlap and placed them in a ditch of water for two days, then drove 3 hours home with shade cloth stretched over to keep the wind from breaking the branches. I got home after dark and repotted next morning. I had new sprouts in three weeks. I supposed I could check with a local nursery about shipping.

Seems to be much interest here, I'll take some photos of the ones I have and post soon, well may not be too soon, I work a lot and am away from home most of the time, and hunting season in Georgia is coming up soon too. (more cypress to look at).

How long after collecting would you ship? The new sprouts I have, could that have been supported by the life that was already in the tree? or was it produced by healthy roots that I was able to save?

I dont have any that are trained but about half of what I have do have features that I'm sure would save several years of training.

I've got to get the ability to post the photos too. Why do they have it so you cant copy and paste of an SD card?

tlynn

Back to top Go down

Post  MIKEB Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:39 pm

Ok, so you would like to sell some trees. I do that. But the first thing you need to remember is that you are not going to get what they are worth to you. If you want to sell some you cant sell junk. if you want any kind of a price (typically I have no problem selling in the 50.00 and under range) it has to be something you are not afraid to keep. Generally i will rumage through the nursery stuff looking for plants/trees that I can get into a pot fairly quickly and something I dont have to completely cut all the foliage off of. Even then it is usually 1 or 2 years before it looks good enough that someone will buy it. nursery stock that is "bonsai" capable is not as easy to find as it sounds. then you need to know how to grow it, how to prune it, and then style it in a bonsai form. You need to know what trees/plants will work and how to treat them. MY advice for what its worth (and its free so its not worth much!!) is if you want to jump into the hobby and sell one now and then as most of us do then fo for it, if you want to open a bonsai nursery, wellllllll you better think longggg and HARD.

MIKEB

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:50 pm

tlynn wrote: I've got to get the ability to post the photos too. Why do they have it so you cant copy and paste of an SD card?
I do so I can't see any reason why you can't. Take time to read the tutorial on posting pics - there is bound to be an answer in there. Failing that, drop the pics into a folder or on to the desktop even if it is only temporarily.

fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:28 am

It's good practice to get the pics onto your PC because you should check for focus, crop unwanted background, colour balance, correct the ones that are sideways and delete unacceptable ones before putting them out in front of the world. Anyone can learn this, using free or very cheap software in a day or two and it adds immeasurably to the quality and satisfaction that you get from your pictures, and their value to the viewers.
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  tlynn Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:06 am

I have the photos on file ans on SD but
'host an image" gives me no options of where to select the photos from

tlynn

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:30 pm

Click on "Browse." That should give you the option of finding the pic wherever it is on your computer.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  tlynn Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:41 pm

it should, but the window it opens is empty.

tlynn

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:08 pm

Why don't you try using a friend's computer and see if it will work that way?
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  tlynn Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:30 pm

I'll try my wife's laptop when I get home Saturday.

tlynn

Back to top Go down

Post  tlynn Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:28 am

Bonsai for profit, and fun. - Page 2 F:\terry\Collected Cypress\DSCN0103

I get the Browse option in "ost an image" on wifes laptop , I went to the SD card, selected a photo but it does not display in the post.

tlynn

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:07 am

Did you get the three options box?

If so, do this:

1. Left click the mouse once on the middle option (Image) to highlight the text.
2. When the text is highlighted, on your keyboard hit Control and Copy
3. Then left click the mouse once in the text box where you want the pic to go.
4. Then hit Control and Paste (CtrlP) and you should see the text from the middle option.
5. Then click on Upload in the options box.

At this point you will NOT see the picture - just the info. If the picture has uploaded, the Options box will revert to how it looks at the start of the process.

To "see" the image you need to click Preview.

Try that and let us know how it went.

Three questions: 1. are you using the SD card direct from the camera or via a card reader? 2. how old is the card?

Actually, I've thought of something else - is it an SD card in a mobile phone rather than a camera and if so are you trying to upload direct from the phone?
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Bonsai for profit, and fun. - Page 2 Empty test

Post  tlynn Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:12 am

Well, I'm away from home now with my laptop- that will not access the "host image" properly. So I signed up on youtube, but could not load the photos, said it had to be in video format but I did manage to get this short clip of the trees I collected last week. Not very detailed like the photos.

There are 5 BC on the tail gate, 2 on the ground (L to R) I'm not sure of, the needles are like a PC but the shape and color of the trunk look like BC. 3rd from left is a PC, 4th is a BC. Tomorrow I'll try to figure out if I can format the photos as a video.

tlynn

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:56 am

Tlynn, before you go with complicated approach, did you see the three questions I asked you in my last post? I think the answer to your problem lies in there. Here they are again worded differently:

1. are you taking the pics on a phone or a camera?
2. how are you trying to upload to IBC - directly from the camera/phone? using a card reader? by downloading to your computer first?
3. if you are using one, how old is the camera?
4. what type of SD card is it? SDHC or an older type of SD card?

I think your problem is your card. Do you have any other way you can take a test photo that doesn't use this card? eg does your wife have a digital camera? If so, why not try this?

fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  tlynn Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:56 am

fiona wrote:Tlynn, before you go with complicated approach, did you see the three questions I asked you in my last post? I think the answer to your problem lies in there. Here they are again worded differently:

1. are you taking the pics on a phone or a camera?
camera.
2. how are you trying to upload to IBC - directly from the camera/phone? using a card reader? by downloading to your computer first?
computor first.
3. if you are using one, how old is the camera?
2 years old
4. what type of SD card is it? SDHC or an older type of SD card?
Kodak 2GB Hi Per Mem card
I think your problem is your card. Do you have any other way you can take a test photo that doesn't use this card? eg does your wife have a digital camera? If so, why not try this?

photos were taken with her digital camera.
I think the problem with my laptop is that its not running java, enevthough the setting indicate its allowed.

tlynn

Back to top Go down

Post  tlynn Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:03 pm

removed

tlynn

Back to top Go down

Post  tlynn Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:07 pm

The TLynn collection

Last edited by tlynn on Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

tlynn

Back to top Go down

Post  tlynn Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:09 pm

wow, 4 stepts to get this photo here with comments.

Collected 7-24-11. Bald Cypress. This was growing from between the wings of a 3 foot cypress base in 12 inches of water. It had one green sprout on the top. I thought I could feel small roots off the bottom so I made a saw cut as low as I could, cutting into the large tree in order to cut thru this stub. When I got it free and lifted it up out of the water I saw it had zero roots-none. I made small cuts near the bottom and added rootone, placed it in a pot of muck and water. Much to my supprise, 4 weeks later it started sprouting. There are 4 inches of the trunk under soil and it is 1-1/2 inches wider at the bottom. I hope to examine the root growth some time next year.

I will be posting other photos with comments as time permitts. I also understand that many folk will think of some of these as junk, but they are different and odd, many with some kind of damage that would resemble some severe pruning for bonsai , therefore advancing it a few years of training.

Last edited by tlynn on Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

tlynn

Back to top Go down

Post  tlynn Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:49 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKXVqk19AG4[/youtube]

Collected 8-30-11 BC. From a cypress strand in a cow pasture. I collected 5 about this size, damaged and stunted from cows grazing apparently. I found these (following photos) 5 in about 3 inches of water. I did not want to get down on my knees in the water due to all the melted cow patties there, so I went to Homedepot and got a plastic mixing tub, about 15 x 24 inched aout 8 inches deep. I could then kneel down in the tub to reach under for the tap root cut, it kept my other stuff dry too.[

Last edited by tlynn on Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:29 pm; edited 4 times in total

tlynn

Back to top Go down

Post  tlynn Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:08 pm

collected 8-30-11, another cow pasture BC

tlynn

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:33 pm

tlynn wrote:now the reply tool bar dosent work

I'm afraid you are having some serious computer issues. It works fine for the rest of us.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next