Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lumpy bulb things on flowering Quince's roots

3 posters

Go down

Lumpy bulb things on flowering Quince's roots Empty Lumpy bulb things on flowering Quince's roots

Post  Guest Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:31 pm

Hi IBC members,

So I've got a small Japanese flowering Quince from a nusery, thought i'll try a root over rock style. But when I removed most of the soils from the roots, I saw some lumpy bulb things on the roots. They seem to be part of the roots, some big and some are small. Is this part of the root system??

Having broke some off by accident, I planted the tree in the ground instead.

Back to top Go down

Lumpy bulb things on flowering Quince's roots Empty Re: Lumpy bulb things on flowering Quince's roots

Post  Eastern Bonsai Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:53 pm

Hello,

I have had this on Japanese Quince as well. However if formed uring the process of rooting cuttings. This type of round growth formed before spreading new roots. Hope this is helpful.

Abe
Eastern Bonsai
Eastern Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Lumpy bulb things on flowering Quince's roots Empty Lumpy bulb things on flowering Quince's roots

Post  Guest Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:42 pm

Thanks for replying. That's stranged, but good to know.

The plant seems to be wilting now, perhaps i've broke some of those things off that's why. If it dies, that a lesson learnt. So the buldging thing will disappear when new roots are formed?? I've notice that they're are only close towards the trunk and not the new roots.

I have another one, should I just plant it in a slightly larger pot without disturbing the roots??
So u can't do a root over rock with Quince?

Back to top Go down

Lumpy bulb things on flowering Quince's roots Empty Re: Lumpy bulb things on flowering Quince's roots

Post  PaulH Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:59 pm

Nematodes form nodules like you describe. The fact that your tree isn't doing well could be an indicator. If its nematodes you need to quarantine the tree and sterilize your tools after cutting on it.
PaulH
PaulH

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:26 pm

I believe quince fix nitrogen. If so those nodules on the roots are a healthy sign.

The wilting tree is more likely from the fact that this is a VERY poor time of year to do things like that to a tree.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:33 am

Hi Paul and Jim,

Thank you for your responce, having looked up root nodules on the net, i think Jim is right. The tree looked healthy, with lots of new growth. So these nodules acts in similiar ways to the mycorrhizal fungi that you'll find on healthy Pines?? They'll become a permanent part of the root system right??

I have another one that i'd like to transfer to a slightly bigger pot or container, when would be the best time to do this? Late autumn?? I'm from UK (London Region), thanks again.

Regards,
Vincent

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down