Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sumo Shohin Willow Leaf Ficus

+15
Poink88
rexman
tap pi lu
reg-i
dorothy7774
Sam Ogranaja
bucknbonsai
Rob Kempinski
ponsmaldo
Todd Ellis
JimLewis
AdamG
Lazaro Quintino
Pavel Slovák
Ryan
19 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Sumo Shohin Willow Leaf Ficus Empty Sumo Shohin Willow Leaf Ficus

Post  Ryan Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:27 pm

Hey everyone,

I bought this fat Willow Leaf Ficus off of eBay, my first eBay tree purchase. It was on sale for $55, but I asked $45 and got it, and with shipping it was a total of $60, even shipped with the Mica pot it came in. It has a trunk of well over 2 inches, and stands around 7 inches tall. I am very pleased with it. Personally, I think it is already a specimen and there is not much I really need to do with it to make it look better. Just thought I would share with you all.

Sumo Shohin Willow Leaf Ficus 00110
Sumo Shohin Willow Leaf Ficus 00211
Sumo Shohin Willow Leaf Ficus 00411
Sumo Shohin Willow Leaf Ficus 00510
Sumo Shohin Willow Leaf Ficus 00610

Your thoughts?

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Sumo Shohin Willow Leaf Ficus Empty Re: Sumo Shohin Willow Leaf Ficus

Post  Pavel Slovák Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:20 pm

Hi Ryan

Nice tree.
I would direct the branches began to be harmonious in a tree.
Gretings Pavel

Sumo Shohin Willow Leaf Ficus 0011010
Pavel Slovák
Pavel Slovák

Back to top Go down

Post  Lazaro Quintino Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:39 pm

Glad you liked the tree.
Lazaro Quintino
Lazaro Quintino

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:57 pm

Pavel Slovák wrote:Hi Ryan

Nice tree.
I would direct the branches began to be harmonious in a tree.
Gretings Pavel

Sumo Shohin Willow Leaf Ficus 0011010

Thank you Pavel. I will try to do as you have drawn, nice idea.

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:59 pm

Lazaro Quintino wrote:Glad you liked the tree.

Oh wow, had no idea you were a part of the IBC. Thanks again!

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  AdamG Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:51 am

Nice ficus Ryan!
AdamG
AdamG

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:57 pm

Another idea given to me:

Sumo Shohin Willow Leaf Ficus Drastic

Personally I think that is far too drastic. I don't see why that would need to be done. What I am really trying to do is make the transition from the huge trunk into the canopy seem less bothersome to the eye. And that may need to be done by pulling that curving branch in the front down. I'm not sure.

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:26 pm

Basically, what you have here is a stump with a lot of sprouts going off every which way. The abrupt cutoff from stump to branches is a bit offputting -- at least to me.

If this were mine, I think I'd cut all the branches but that center one, plant the tree in a large, shallow box and grow the H out of it for a few years. Eventually, you will get a trunk and a top that is worth working on.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:48 pm

JimLewis wrote:Basically, what you have here is a stump with a lot of sprouts going off every which way. The abrupt cutoff from stump to branches is a bit offputting -- at least to me.

If this were mine, I think I'd cut all the branches but that center one, plant the tree in a large, shallow box and grow the H out of it for a few years. Eventually, you will get a trunk and a top that is worth working on.

Thanks Jim. I'm curious though, won't the cutoff from stump to branches always be visible?

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:29 am

Hi Ryan,
Jim's idea will take time to develop and eventually the pruning scars will become "points of interest" along the trunk; they will heal over. I saw this tree on eBay too. You can find some good deals there. But always remember "buyer beware".
Todd
Here is a ficus I bought last year on eBay and am very please with the purchase:

Sumo Shohin Willow Leaf Ficus Ficus_10
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:31 am

Another thought, a friend of mine drew this up for me. My tree is the tree on the right, what I should aim for is on the left. Basically I would need to let the main branch in front grow out more, then cut it back once it is much thicker:

Sumo Shohin Willow Leaf Ficus Willow10

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:33 am

Todd Ellis wrote:Hi Ryan,
Jim's idea will take time to develop and eventually the pruning scars will become "points of interest" along the trunk; they will heal over. I saw this tree on eBay too. You can find some good deals there. But always remember "buyer beware".
Todd
Here is a ficus I bought last year on eBay and am very please with the purchase:

Sumo Shohin Willow Leaf Ficus Ficus_10

Oops we posted at the same time. I was always afraid of buying trees on eBay but the seller (Lazaro) appeared to be a trustworthy one, and he is, so I went for it. That is a very nice tree you got from there! Shipping must've cost a pretty penny though.....

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:48 am

Now, here's the problem. If I make that branch we are discussing the leader, won't it leave a big ugly dead area behind it? As in, this branch does not come out at the center of the trunk, but at the front of it instead. I tried my hardest to illustrate what I mean using MS Pain. Pretend you're looking at the tree from the side. The main branch, or future leader, is the ugly thing shooting upwards. That leaves the big gap behind it.

Sumo Shohin Willow Leaf Ficus Virt

See what I'm saying?

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  ponsmaldo Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:32 am

this are all very educational for since I'm a beginner. I planted my first bonsai's about 9 years ago without guidance. now at least I'm seeing some great ideas here. Thanks people! Very Happy
ponsmaldo
ponsmaldo

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:58 am

The new leader will, in time and after side branches have formed along it, fatten to the point where the taper point will not be so evident.
Eventually, you can do this. If it's dead, the tree won't care.

Sumo Shohin Willow Leaf Ficus Virt11

It will take time -- perhaps quite a bit of it -- but that's what bonsai is.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:47 pm

JimLewis wrote:The new leader will, in time and after side branches have formed along it, fatten to the point where the taper point will not be so evident.
Eventually, you can do this. If it's dead, the tree won't care.

Sumo Shohin Willow Leaf Ficus Virt11

It will take time -- perhaps quite a bit of it -- but that's what bonsai is.

Thank you Jim. I'm going to be repotting it into a 1 or 2 gallon pot today to allow it to really take off, then I will see what exactly the tree wants to do.

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:19 pm

All potted up, time to let it grow!

Sumo Shohin Willow Leaf Ficus 001-120
Sumo Shohin Willow Leaf Ficus 002-120
Sumo Shohin Willow Leaf Ficus 003-113

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:52 am

Since updating this thread I've repotted this tree into a 12 inch bulb pan and cut it back quite drastically. Sorry Lazaro! But I feel like this really makes it my tree now, and will hopefully solve the taper issue. I thought about you the whole time I was cutting the branches off, so if it's hard for you to look at, I understand Laughing

It's now inside resting under lights. Here it is:

Sumo Shohin Willow Leaf Ficus 014-21
Sumo Shohin Willow Leaf Ficus 012-34

I'm wondering if I should reduce the branches at the top of this new apex. As it is now the top of the branch is rounded, with a new leader not yet defined. Should I pick one? If so, which one?

Thanks all!

P.S. This may need to be moved to 'Bonsai Questions' now that questions are involved.

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Kempinski Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:56 pm

I have a very similar tree. Mine started as a root cutting
Here it is as of today. The main trunk has fattened nicely and the chop scar is 70 % healed (on the back).
Pot by me.

Sumo Shohin Willow Leaf Ficus 2011_023

This is the same tree back in 2005. Same pot - maybe never repotted (I can't remember). The secondary chop (facing the front) has totally healed already.
Sumo Shohin Willow Leaf Ficus 2005_010

I took a shot of it defoliated in 2007
Sumo Shohin Willow Leaf Ficus 20070510

Several years ago I did an article on shohin Willow Leaf ficus and for it
I made this drawing to explain the history of this tree. Hopefully it can shed
some light on your tree's progress. Good luck and have fun.

Sumo Shohin Willow Leaf Ficus Histor10
Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:06 pm

Wow very nice Robert! Beautiful little tree!

I had always known about the huge tubers that Willow Leaf have, and I've removed plenty of them from trees, but I could never get them to get growing. No matter what I did nothing worked. I can get regular cuttings to take just fine, but the roots just don't work for me. How do you root them?

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Kempinski Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:51 pm

Ryan wrote:Wow very nice Robert! Beautiful little tree!

I had always known about the huge tubers that Willow Leaf have, and I've removed plenty of them from trees, but I could never get them to get growing. No matter what I did nothing worked. I can get regular cuttings to take just fine, but the roots just don't work for me. How do you root them?

I just put them in soil. But remember I live in a subtropical climate where it's hot and humid for a good part of the year.
Here is another root cutting with more of the root exposed. I call it the "Keilbasa Ficus". Pot by Dale Cochoy.
It's my experience that the root cuttings have a much better scar covering capability than non-root Ficus nerifolia cuttings (F. salisifolia or F. Sallacaria)

Sumo Shohin Willow Leaf Ficus 110
Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Post  bucknbonsai Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:42 pm

Why are your ficus indoors, Im familiar with your area (and have grown ficus in that zone) and you potentially have another month of good growing weather for ficus. I think you are disturbing this tree to much for having it indoors. you should leave it alone till next june when its outside and vigorous. when you bring them in just leave them alone because even with the artificial greenhouse (which I have used) they just dont like it.
bucknbonsai
bucknbonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:34 am

bucknbonsai wrote:Why are your ficus indoors, Im familiar with your area (and have grown ficus in that zone) and you potentially have another month of good growing weather for ficus. I think you are disturbing this tree to much for having it indoors. you should leave it alone till next june when its outside and vigorous. when you bring them in just leave them alone because even with the artificial greenhouse (which I have used) they just dont like it.

This tree has been outside. I only just recently brought it in.

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sam Ogranaja Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:09 pm

Wow, great work Rob. And great pot.

That post is very helpful.
Have a great week!!!!
Sam
Sam Ogranaja
Sam Ogranaja

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:49 pm

Rob Kempinski wrote:
Ryan wrote:Wow very nice Robert! Beautiful little tree!

I just put them in soil. But remember I live in a subtropical climate where it's hot and humid for a good part of the year.
Here is another root cutting with more of the root exposed. I call it the "Keilbasa Ficus". Pot by Dale Cochoy.
It's my experience that the root cuttings have a much better scar covering capability than non-root Ficus nerifolia cuttings (F. salisifolia or F. Sallacaria)

Sumo Shohin Willow Leaf Ficus 110

Very very nice Rob! I've never taken any tubers off that were that size, but if I do I'll give rooting them a shot. That's incredible!

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next