Willow Leaf Ficus Progression

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Willow Leaf Ficus Progression

Post  Ryan on Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:34 am

Hey everyone,


Compared to the quality everyone else is producing I shouldn't even show this tree, but oh well. This is a small guy I've had for well over a year and I just thought I would share the work I've done on it thus far.

Here it is first purchased:


I decided to chop it:


It, of course, backbudded:


Then I went to the roots, and here they are before:




Here they are after I attacked them:



This is when I first noticed the lean:


But I didn't worry about it and potted it up:



Ryan
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Willow Leaf Ficus Progression

Post  Ryan on Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:37 am

It grew like a weed:



But I just couldn't handle the lean:


I considered, and discussed with Jerry Meislik, styling the tree in the Windswept style, but just scratched that idea due to the lack of taper. So here it is after work a few days ago:




The wire has since been removed from the side branches though, I'll let them grow out a bit first.

Any thoughts? I know this guy has a long way to go, but just thought I would gather opinions on how I've done so far.

Ryan
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Willow Leaf Ficus Progression

Post  AlainK on Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:55 am

My thoughts:

It looks very weak.

Is Va. the right place to grow this species ? I don't know, I have two ficus that I keep as "lounge plants" beacause I know that under my climate, they'll never thrive.

Don't know about the various regions of Virginia, where Ilive, there's a different climate when I cross the bridge on the Loire to go to work, a different soil, a different wind, and 50miles further down, people speak with a different accent Very Happy

But even where people speak a different language (at least the elderly and the "regionalists"), ficus don't grow here naturally.


AlainK
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Willow Leaf Ficus Progression

Post  Ryan on Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:08 am

AlainK wrote:My thoughts:

It looks very weak.

Is Va. the right place to grow this species ? I don't know, I have two ficus that I keep as "lounge plants" beacause I know that under my climate, they'll never thrive.

Don't know about the various regions of Virginia, where Ilive, there's a different climate when I cross the bridge on the Loire to go to work, a different soil, a different wind, and 50miles further down, people speak with a different accent Very Happy

But even where people speak a different language (at least the elderly and the "regionalists"), ficus don't grow here naturally.



Thank you Alain. Right now the tree is very weak. I plan on letting it recover for a month or two before I even think about doing anything more to it.

Virginia is not where these guys can really thrive. Although I can manage to keep them growing non-stop throughout the year. That allows me to constantly work with them.

Ryan
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Willow Leaf Ficus Progression

Post  drgonzo on Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:23 am

I would definitely let this little guy regain his vigor at this point. if it were my tree I wouldn't touch it again until I saw the pot absolutely filled with roots.

drgonzo
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Willow Leaf Ficus Progression

Post  Ryan on Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:29 am

drgonzo wrote:I would definitely let this little guy regain his vigor at this point. if it were my tree I wouldn't touch it again until I saw the pot absolutely filled with roots.


I probably should've noted that all this wasn't done at one time. This all occurred over the course of over a year. The pot is indeed full of roots.

Ryan
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Willow Leaf Ficus Progression

Post  drgonzo on Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:01 am

filled with roots...Very good! I've been amazed at what I can get away with in regards the willow leaf ficus, but for me the mantra is always "Vigor of the tree..vigor of the tree" I've had too many lessons finding out just what I couldn't get away with!

drgonzo
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Willow Leaf Ficus Progression

Post  Ryan on Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:16 am

drgonzo wrote:filled with roots...Very good! I've been amazed at what I can get away with in regards the willow leaf ficus, but for me the mantra is always "Vigor of the tree..vigor of the tree" I've had too many lessons finding out just what I couldn't get away with!


I know and it's crazy! I love these trees so much.

Ryan
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Willow Leaf Ficus Progression

Post  Ryan on Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:56 am

I repotted into probably a one gallon pot. I also partially ring barked it to get the nebari started. I went down probably this low:



The new soil level is above the red line, since that is how wide I did the ring bark:



That should get a good start on a kind of flared base, once those roots come in. Right? Or did I do it wrong Very Happy

Ryan
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Willow Leaf Ficus Progression

Post  drgonzo on Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:20 am

I would wait a while until I had a good sized canopy of leaves up top to help regenerate new roots from the ground layer you're proposing before I did the ring bark.

drgonzo
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Willow Leaf Ficus Progression

Post  Ryan on Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:21 am

drgonzo wrote:I would wait a while until I had a good sized canopy of leaves up top to help regenerate new roots from the ground layer you're proposing before I did the ring bark.

Should've thought of that. Oops Very Happy

Ryan
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Willow Leaf Ficus Progression

Post  drgonzo on Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:23 am

Then I quess we'll find out together just how much stress these guys can take. Twisted Evil

drgonzo
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Willow Leaf Ficus Progression

Post  Ryan on Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:24 am

drgonzo wrote:Then I quess we'll find out together just how much stress these guys can take. Twisted Evil


I'm not worried at all about this guy dying due to this. I left the whole root system.....and the tubers that went along with it. So I figured I may as well start to work on getting a new root system established so I can remove the old one with the tubers.

Ryan
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Willow Leaf Ficus Progression

Post  AK_Panama on Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:35 pm

I definitely recommend not touching it until a year from now.


DonĀ“t worry too much. This specie is very resilient and will recover strong. Just let it recover Razz

AK_Panama
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Willow Leaf Ficus Progression

Post  Ryan on Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:47 pm

Wow, been quite a while since updating this thread. Here's the tree as of tonight:



Ryan
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Willow Leaf Ficus Progression

Post  Sponsored content Today at 9:53 pm


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum