New to the art of bonsai!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

New to the art of bonsai!

Post  Mowgonie on Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:29 am

hi IBC members =) Greetings from Sweden =) My name is Vladimir and as the title say im new to this. Ive had a "bonsai" when I was young but my mom forgot to water it so it dies, along with my interest of bonsai. But a few weeks ago i was visiting "plantagen" which is a.... lets just say it's IKEA for plants. And there I saw a tree that made me want to persue my passion for plants. So here I am with a "malsai" and i feel kind of overwhelmed with all the info i got. I have spent a lot (!) of hours learning about bonsai, about this art.

At the moment i have a Ehretia buxifolia that I bought from IKEA... (i know it isnt the best place to buy "bonsai" but we all have to begin from somewere).Atm im waiting for some seeds from Japanese Judas-tree (Cercidiphyllum japonicum), Redwood tree (Sequoiadendron giganteum), Creeping fig (Ficus pumila), Japanese Wisteria (Wisteria floribunda), "Tree in a hurry" Virgilia divaricata which i hope could give me some beautiful trees... in a cople of years =)

I just got a little doughter that made me look at life a little bit different therefore my newlygrown passion for bonsai. I would like to grow some bonsai from scratch in hope that my doughter will appreciate my work and would want to take care of them after i pass away =) Even though that would take a couple of years i couldnt think of a better way to leave this world then to give her a living being that reminds her of me =)

Anyways, i have been reading and reading on the web about bonsai and there is alot of info to digest. I contacted the swedish bonsai assosiation but since sweden is a little country, the club only has 2 gatherings every year. But that doesnt help me a whole lot because i have so many questions that i need answered as soon as possible.

Ill write more tomorow cause i realy need help with a tree that is bound to die. It grows realy close to a construction site and they will kill it unless someone saves it. I could take care of it but i just started and I dont know how. It's a realy beautiful tree (Pinus sylvestris). ill post pics of it tomorow for everyone to see =)

ps: im sorry for my english but it is not my first language ds =)

Mowgonie

Back to top Go down

Re: New to the art of bonsai!

Post  John Quinn on Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:34 am

Welcome to the IBC!
Don't worry, your English is fine!

John Quinn

Back to top Go down

New to the Art of Bonsai

Post  bonsaisr on Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:17 am

Mowgonie wrote:hi IBC members =) Greetings from Sweden =)
At the moment i have an Ehretia microphylla (correct name) that I bought from IKEA....
Not a very good choice for a beginner. Keep it outdoors in the sun until fall.
Mowgonie wrote:Atm i'm waiting for some seeds from Japanese Judas-tree (Cercidiphyllum japonicum), Redwood tree (Sequoiadendron giganteum), Creeping fig (Ficus pumila),
Ficus pumila is not a tree. It is a tiny vine to keep in a terrarium.
Mowgonie wrote: I would like to grow some bonsai from scratch in hope that my daughter will appreciate my work and would want to take care of them after i pass away =) Even though that would take a couple of years i couldnt think of a better way to leave this world then to give her a living being that reminds her of me =)
I have a granddaughter. Don't bet on it.
Mowgonie wrote:
Ill write more tomorow cause i realy need help with a tree that is bound to die. It grows realy close to a construction site and they will kill it unless someone saves it. I could take care of it but i just started and I dont know how. It's a realy beautiful tree (Pinus sylvestris). ill post pics of it tomorow for everyone to see =)
Can it hold out until fall? I don't think you can dig it up now. P. sylvestris is a tough tree. Be sure to dig it up with as much soil as possible around the roots. Then get it right back into the ground or into a large growing box. You will probably find it much easier than the Fukien tea or any of those seeds.
Iris

bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  Mowgonie on Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:41 am

thanks for commenting my post Bonsaisr =)

Ive been reading some info about Ehretia microphylla and as you said it is a hard tree to keep alive, for begginers. but as i said, we all have to start somewere =)

Speaking of Ficus pumila, i was under the impression that any tree or shrub that would produce bark is a potential bonsai so ill try it out anyways =) it cant hurt to have a fast growing vine i think =)

The pinus silvestris can wait till fall.. i think. heavnt spoken to the guys at the site but they know that im interested of saving that tree... even though they might see me as a treehugger and they have there job to do, they asured me they call me as soon as they would start evening the ground (yes, i actually made an agreement with them so i wouldnt loose the oportunity of saving it)

Mowgonie

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis on Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:10 pm

I have seen some quite nice tiny Ficus pumila bonsai. The Japanese call these tiny bonsai "mame" bonsai. They too are difficult to maintain for a beginner, but are a lot of fun.

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes on Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:28 pm

Ficus pumila

After my retirement from the local school system, I went to work as an Employment Coordinator for a not for profit social service agency, my job was to help persons with a disability obtain and keep jobs in the community, but the company soon learned of my interest in plants, so I was enlisted to help plan new landscaping for the main complex.
The lobby of the administration building has a large bank of east facing windows, but there is also a high (8 to 10 feet) brick wall a few yard from the windows that blocks the windows from the parking lot.
One of the problems was what to do with the brick wall, so we planted Ficus pumila at the base. In our Florida climate, within a few years the Ficus pumila covered the wall, now it must be trimmed every six months. A interesting note, the plant has at least two leaf forms on the same plant, immature plants/leaves are quite small, maybe less than one inch, but as the plant gets older the leaves get larger and will be five inches, there will also be figs that are about twice the size of the edible fig. I am told these figs can be harvested for jams or jellies, but I never tried it.

Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  Mowgonie on Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:23 pm

I've just received my seeds and I have a question. On some seeds they say i should scrape the edge before soaking them in water.
My question is: How much do i scrape.... just a little or do i scrape of a noticable amount of shell? The seeds or from Wisteria Floribunda

Mowgonie

Back to top Go down

Post  AK_Panama on Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:42 pm

Billy M. Rhodes wrote:Ficus pumila

After my retirement from the local school system, I went to work as an Employment Coordinator for a not for profit social service agency, my job was to help persons with a disability obtain and keep jobs in the community, but the company soon learned of my interest in plants, so I was enlisted to help plan new landscaping for the main complex.
The lobby of the administration building has a large bank of east facing windows, but there is also a high (8 to 10 feet) brick wall a few yard from the windows that blocks the windows from the parking lot.
One of the problems was what to do with the brick wall, so we planted Ficus pumila at the base. In our Florida climate, within a few years the Ficus pumila covered the wall, now it must be trimmed every six months. A interesting note, the plant has at least two leaf forms on the same plant, immature plants/leaves are quite small, maybe less than one inch, but as the plant gets older the leaves get larger and will be five inches, there will also be figs that are about twice the size of the edible fig. I am told these figs can be harvested for jams or jellies, but I never tried it.

Hey Billy,

does this have to go into deep ground? I´m buying an apartment on a 4th floor with a terrace....the terrace will have a cement wall dividing from my neighbor and I considered having somethign like this vine cover that entire wall. My problem would then be...where the heck do I plant it tho!

AK_Panama

Back to top Go down

Post  Mowgonie on Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:39 am

I've just received my seeds and I have a question. On some seeds they say i should scrape the edge before soaking them in water.
My question is: How much do i scrape.... just a little or do i scrape of a noticable amount of shell? The seeds or from Wisteria Floribunda

sorry for doubble-post

Mowgonie

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes on Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:28 am

Hey Billy,

does this have to go into deep ground? I´m buying an apartment on a 4th floor with a terrace....the terrace will have a cement wall dividing from my neighbor and I considered having somethign like this vine cover that entire wall. My problem would then be...where the heck do I plant it tho!

I would use a large Terra Cotta pot and plan to water often.

Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  AK_Panama on Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:06 pm

Thanks! I´ll give it a try!

AK_Panama

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 4:30 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top