Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

You still have your first bonsai?

+36
wabashene
drgonzo
Auballagh
MerschelMarco
Michal Malawski - PAB
David Willoughby
gregb
Andrew Legg
Khaimraj Seepersad
Leo Schordje
Andre Beaurain
ang3lfir3
mike page
Randy_Davis
Robert Steven
marcus watts
cram
Xavier de Lapeyre
Chris Cochrane
jrodriguez
Russell Coker
coh
cosmos
John Buttino
Tona
moshe emergui
Hilton Meyer
kauaibonsai
Pavel Slovák
ogi uyehara
Rob Kempinski
moyogijohn
Todd Ellis
Gentleman G.
Jim Doiron
dorothy7774
40 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

You still have your first bonsai?  Empty You still have your first bonsai?

Post  dorothy7774 Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:35 am

This is my first bonsai, a Ficus nerifolia (salicaria)(and Michael). Took me a long time to finally give it a restyle..Still working on tapering the branches. You still have your first bonsai? Wink

You still have your first bonsai?  Nerifo10

You still have your first bonsai?  Nerifo11
dorothy7774
dorothy7774

Back to top Go down

You still have your first bonsai?  Empty Re: You still have your first bonsai?

Post  Jim Doiron Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:51 am

Wow, great tree (and son). Do you trim the leaves as a way of partial defoliation or for looks? Actually the ficus I just posted here:
[url=https://ibonsaiclub.forumotion.com/t7294-ficus-salicaria]
was one of my first trees but I can't be sure it was truly my first.
Jim Doiron
Jim Doiron

Back to top Go down

Post  Gentleman G. Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:57 am

Nice tree! Do you have any older pictures of it? I do still have my first tree! But, I've only been practicing Bonsai for just over one year now so that's not saying much Very Happy It's really in no state to post pictures of (especially not in this thread). Well, again, a very nice tree! I look forward to seeing some of the other members firsts!
Gentleman G.
Gentleman G.

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:01 am

Hi Dorothy,
I killed my first tree but enjoyed the Loblolly pine for the first two weeks after I dug it out of frozen Carolina red mud in January and planted in a flat aluminum guardian-service fry pan. After two weeks it started turning brown and was ceisp before February Smile

Your Ficus is beautiful!
Best,
Todd
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  dorothy7774 Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:54 am

Jim Doiron wrote:Wow, great tree (and son). Do you trim the leaves as a way of partial defoliation or for looks? Actually the ficus I just posted here:
[url=https://ibonsaiclub.forumotion.com/t7294-ficus-salicaria]
was one of my first trees but I can't be sure it was truly my first.

Thanks. Yes, partial defoliation while not cutting the new center growth. Good luck with your tree!

-dorothy
dorothy7774
dorothy7774

Back to top Go down

Post  dorothy7774 Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:58 am

Gentleman G. wrote:Nice tree! Do you have any older pictures of it? I do still have my first tree! But, I've only been practicing Bonsai for just over one year now so that's not saying much Very Happy It's really in no state to post pictures of (especially not in this thread). Well, again, a very nice tree! I look forward to seeing some of the other members firsts!

The only picture I found so far is from February of 2006. At that time I had already been training the tree since 2003:

You still have your first bonsai?  Nerifo12

GG, looking forward to seeing your first tree here - one day in this thread.. Wink

-dorothy
dorothy7774
dorothy7774

Back to top Go down

Post  dorothy7774 Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:00 am

Todd Ellis wrote:Hi Dorothy,
I killed my first tree but enjoyed the Loblolly pine for the first two weeks after I dug it out of frozen Carolina red mud in January and planted in a flat aluminum guardian-service fry pan. After two weeks it started turning brown and was ceisp before February Smile

Your Ficus is beautiful!
Best,
Todd

Hey Todd, at least it did know what to do in that fry pan... turning brown and crisp.. Very Happy

-dorothy
dorothy7774
dorothy7774

Back to top Go down

You still have your first bonsai?  Empty you still have your first tree??

Post  moyogijohn Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:13 am

NO I don,t,,it is in bonsai heaven!! your tree is awsome,,i am glad you could keep it alive good job take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  Gentleman G. Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:16 am

Thanks for the encouraging words! And for the older picture! Did it look very similar to that picture, or had you started from "scratch"? My first tree is a Ginseng Ficus (which most people seem to detest, at least around here Very Happy ) that started off as a broom style. It's currently being trained as a "windswept", "root over rock" type of thing (I think it's cool, and that's what counts. Plus, my wife who bought it for me, would be upset if I killed it Evil or Very Mad ) So it shall live Smile and I shall learn. Maybe one day I'll show it here........ Sleep <---- me dreaming
Gentleman G.
Gentleman G.

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Kempinski Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:34 am

I still have it - it was grown from an acorn that had sprouted in my front yard when I lived in Houston Texas. Its some type of Shumard Oak that doesn't really like Florida but has been living since 1993 so almost 18 years.
Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Post  ogi uyehara Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:35 am

nice tree Dorothy....I like it cheers cheers cheers
ogi uyehara
ogi uyehara

Back to top Go down

Post  Pavel Slovák Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:32 am

Hi Dorothy

Nice and very handsome tree. Congratulations. Very Happy
Pavel
Pavel Slovák
Pavel Slovák

Back to top Go down

Post  kauaibonsai Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:17 am

this was your first ever tree? you started with a bang - lucky you.

best wishes, sam

kauaibonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Hilton Meyer Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:41 am

Still too new to be able to reminece on my first tree. My first attempt is still growing out its trunk so technically not at bonsai stage. I thought of making it a bonsai but after learning a bit realised I still had a way to go.

Hilton Meyer

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:01 am

Hi everybody Smile

I have at least 10 trees from my first year, they are all bonsai now.
I want to show you this one....
It was a prunus from my garden, the more expensive graft had died, and I dug up the rest....it was back then in the spring of 1991.....this tree already had very old bark.

You still have your first bonsai?  Prunus10

I have had many problems with finding the front, but last year it looked like this. The front was nice, but the sides was boring, and the branches was not placed really well.

You still have your first bonsai?  Img_4511

This winter, I placed it this way in the pot....the branches was now placed right, and both sides was much more interesting now, some movement is lost from the front, when you are looking at the photo, but I dont think it is that bad in the real. I know the crown is not very well ballanced now, but it will be in the future.

Now I want to ask you guys, what is most important...a interesting front, or a better bild up tree....I am very unsure.....
I hope for some answers....Sorry Dorothy for taking a bit ower with this question....but I amsure, many more will show the first tree anyway.

You still have your first bonsai?  Img_6410
Sorry Dorothy
I almost forgott to mention...I hope your very nice bonsaitree will live for ever
Very kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  moshe emergui Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:21 am

hi dorothy

beautiful tree.I like it.

You kept it until today (how long)?
moshe emergui
moshe emergui

Back to top Go down

Post  Tona Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:37 pm

Very nice tree Dorothy. I am fairly new to Bonsai and a new member of this forum so I do still have my first tree(s). I have haunted this site for a while and I enjoy your work. I even started a couple Hollywood Junipers (so easy to find in Calif.) after seeing your post about a year ago.
Thanks for all the posts,
Tona
Tona
Tona

Back to top Go down

Post  John Buttino Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:12 pm

My first Bonsai was stolen. I do however still have many trees upwards of 20 years.
I feel kind of old now saying that!
John Buttino
John Buttino

Back to top Go down

Post  cosmos Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:21 pm

Hi Dorothy
Very nice tree. I like nerifolia a lot and was responsible for bringing it for the first time in Malta. Now I am taking cuttings and sharing them with friends. Can you share with us your tree's case history? Thanks for sharing.

Cosmos
cosmos
cosmos

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:35 pm

Do I have my first bonsai.... Are you kidding me, I don't have my 50th bonsai. I either killed or sold the last 50th tree.

But now I have downsized my collection enough to focus on quality and health of the trees... and hopefully they will last longer.

- S

Back to top Go down

Post  coh Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:43 pm

LOL, I still have all my "original" bonsai...but since I only started about a year ago, that's not saying much! There are a couple that are struggling so my perfect record may not last much longer.

Dorothy, that's a beautiful tree. You say you've been training it since 2003 - what kind of shape was it in when you acquired it? Was it already in training or was it raw stock? Based on the 2006 pic, I'd guess it was already pretty well developled (and in a bonsai pot).

Chris
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:47 pm

suburbia wrote:Do I have my first bonsai.... Are you kidding me, I don't have my 50th bonsai. I either killed or sold the last 50th tree.

But now I have downsized my collection enough to focus on quality and health of the trees... and hopefully they will last longer.

- S

But you kept that incredible ficus in your avitar, right?? tongue Wink
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  jrodriguez Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:34 am

Russell Coker wrote:
suburbia wrote:Do I have my first bonsai.... Are you kidding me, I don't have my 50th bonsai. I either killed or sold the last 50th tree.

- S

Russell,

That tree does not belong to Suburbia. It is a Taiwanese ficus, trained by Mr. Lo (not Lo Min Hsuan) from Taiwan. It won some awards at the 12th TBCA exhibition.

Kind regards,

Jose Luis
jrodriguez
jrodriguez

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Cochrane Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:03 am

One of the great experiences in bonsai is to visit Giovanni Genotti at his Turin (IT) area home. Mr. Genotti has practiced high quality bonsai work for decades and can immediately identify trees over each of his early as well as his later years. He doesn't sell them & manages caretaking with extraordinary skill. Marco Favero introduced me to Mr. Genotti in 1997. I hope he still thrives.
Chris Cochrane
Chris Cochrane

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:09 pm

jrodriguez wrote:
Russell Coker wrote:

- S

Russell,

That tree does not belong to Suburbia. It is a Taiwanese ficus, trained by Mr. Lo (not Lo Min Hsuan) from Taiwan. It won some awards at the 12th TBCA exhibition.

Kind regards,

Jose Luis

Yes, Jose Luis, I'm aware of that. I was messing with Suburbia. Thanks for the background info though.

And not only do I NOT have my first bonsai, I don't even remember it - I was 10. Not sure I'd want to. But I still have the pot!
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next