Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scouring Rush

3 posters

Go down

Scouring Rush Empty Scouring Rush

Post  Zach Smith Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:05 pm

I collected this horsetail bamboo in 2010 as a single stalk. Needless to say, it's happily expanding. Should fill the pot next year.

Zach
Scouring Rush Scouri10

Zach Smith

Back to top Go down

Scouring Rush Empty Re: Scouring Rush

Post  Russell Coker Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:58 pm

Very nice Zach. Makes for a great cooling summer accent/kusamono. As it becomes more potbound it will shorten. Keep us posted.

R
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  Zach Smith Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:23 am

Russell Coker wrote:Very nice Zach. Makes for a great cooling summer accent/kusamono. As it becomes more potbound it will shorten. Keep us posted.

R
Thanks, Russell. I've never grown horsetail bamboo before. Last winter the single stalk took on a brownish appearance, and I thought it would die back and then grow new ones. But the brownish stalk greened up, and it's been making babies ever since. I'm anxious to see what the next few years bring, and I'm also planning to divide it.

Zach

Zach Smith

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:26 am

Keep an eye on the groundcover tables at Lowe's and Home Depot. Sometimes you'll find the very fine textured miniature form.
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Doiron Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:04 am

That is really nice especially being in that small tray of a pot! Are you keeping that in a water tray or sand to keep it going?
Jim Doiron
Jim Doiron

Back to top Go down

Post  Zach Smith Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:32 pm

Jim Doiron wrote:That is really nice especially being in that small tray of a pot! Are you keeping that in a water tray or sand to keep it going?
Actually, no. It's right there on the bench with my trees. Gets watered frequently, but it evidently doesn't have to have its feet wet.

Zach

Zach Smith

Back to top Go down

Post  Zach Smith Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:33 pm

Russell Coker wrote:Keep an eye on the groundcover tables at Lowe's and Home Depot. Sometimes you'll find the very fine textured miniature form.
I know the dwarf variety's out there, but I wanted to collect something from nature. Got this thing about collected material.

But I do think I'll get some of the dwarf and put it in a really small pot, see how it does.

Zach

Zach Smith

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down