Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Japan 2011 - mame-bonsai and shohin

+7
Bob Bailey
Billy M. Rhodes
Kev Bailey
Rob Kempinski
Ryan
hiram
JimLewis
11 posters

Go down

Japan 2011 - mame-bonsai and shohin Empty Japan 2011 - mame-bonsai and shohin

Post  Guest Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:15 pm

Here is something for Mr. Bailey I believe. I had you i mind at this trip also when we visited a bonsai grower raising mame and shohin bonsai from seeds and cuttings. The name I do not know because our Japanese host did not speak English. The nursery is placed in Ongyo in the Kawaguchi area.

Regards
Morten

A few pics here, and more at www.shohin-europe.com (I apologize I cant press it all here, because of the big number of pictures takes much time to upload and place. I hope for your understanding).

Japan 2011 - mame-bonsai and shohin Alb_7916

Japan 2011 - mame-bonsai and shohin Alb_7917

Japan 2011 - mame-bonsai and shohin Alb_7918

Japan 2011 - mame-bonsai and shohin Alb_7919

Japan 2011 - mame-bonsai and shohin Alb_7920

Japan 2011 - mame-bonsai and shohin Alb_7921

Japan 2011 - mame-bonsai and shohin Alb_7922

Japan 2011 - mame-bonsai and shohin Alb_7923

Japan 2011 - mame-bonsai and shohin Alb_7924
Mame-bonsai in big numbers.

Back to top Go down

Japan 2011 - mame-bonsai and shohin Empty Re: Japan 2011 - mame-bonsai and shohin

Post  JimLewis Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:21 pm

Love 'em, Morton. I especially like the mame pots over there. They'e very hard to find here.

Thanks for posting all of these various pictures of your trip. I envy you, because I'm afraid my days of flying to Japan are over.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Japan 2011 - mame-bonsai and shohin Empty Re: Japan 2011 - mame-bonsai and shohin

Post  hiram Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:22 pm

Shocked amazing and thank you for sharing. That's the difference between our bonsais and thiers. Such pride and most of all commitment.
hiram
hiram

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:24 pm

Amazing! Is that a tiny Trident in the second to last pic? Or is it a Parrots beak? It has tiny leaves!

Last edited by Ryan on Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Kempinski Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:14 pm

It's amazing that these cuttings/mame can be the basis of a business. In the US they'd be called "Cuttings 'R Us."
Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:36 pm

Ryan wrote:Amazing! Is that a tiny Trident in the second to last pic? Or is it a Parrots beak? It has tiny leaves!

It is not a trident. Japanese variety of some sort, but i do not recognize it.

Regards, Morten

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:40 pm

Rob Kempinski wrote:It's amazing that these cuttings/mame can be the basis of a business. In the US they'd be called "Cuttings 'R Us."

Everything green can be business in a country filled with buildings and no space for gardens almost. So we are lucky to have other conditions, and I understand the need in Japan to have something to grow there not having space at home.
It is far easier for me to grow some mame-bonsai here, because many nurseries here have good raw material I can develop fast, in contradiction to Japan.

- Morten

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:00 pm

Thanks Morten. I always enjoy pictures of Japan and mame bonsai developed from own materials is, as you suspect, something close to my heart. A lovely insight into a nursery I have not yet visited.
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:08 pm

Rob Kempinski wrote:It's amazing that these cuttings/mame can be the basis of a business. In the US they'd be called "Cuttings 'R Us."

Went by their place today to the way to buy supplies, CuttingRUs is located on Plymouth Sorrento Rd. in North East Orange County, Florida.

There is also the "Liner Farm" that specializes in selling rooted cuttings, they are closer to Eustis, Lake County, Florida on State Highway 44.

Rob and Morten

Someone posted that many of the shops, nurseries and the museum in Omiya are closed on Thursday, the day Rob and I had planned to visit Omiya, 11/17/2011 is a Thursday.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Japan 2011 - mame-bonsai and shohin Empty Japan 2011 Mame Bonsai-Shohin

Post  Bob Bailey Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:48 pm

Hi Morten
Thankyou for the photo,s of the amazing Mame/Shohin,truely beautiful trees,it made me even more determined to return to Japan for another trip. I think every bonsai enthusiast should strive to make at least one trip there just to be amazed at not only the quality of the trees,but the quantity, and the hospitality of the nursery owners.
Did you manage to get to the Tai-Shoen Nursery? The day I spent there with my good friends Mark and Ritta Cooper was the highlight of my trip,the knowledge of Mr Urshabata and the humour of Asanuma are not easily forgotten.
Have you any photo,s of the pots you bought? love to see them
Thanks again
Bob

Bob Bailey

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:59 pm

Billy, Thursday is the closing day in Omiya and many other places with bonsai. So you need to choose another day.

Regards, Morten

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:03 pm

Hi Bob and thanks. No, I did not manage Taisho-en this time. The schedule was packed, and that one I missed. I will find time to take some pictures of the pots later.

Regards, Morten

Back to top Go down

Post  cosmos Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:11 pm

I like humble beginings especially when like on our small island we have no larfe forests or mountains to go 'yamadoring'. Just overwhelmed.
Thanks for sharing.
Cosmos
cosmos
cosmos

Back to top Go down

Post  Torbjörn Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:42 am

morten albek wrote:
Ryan wrote:Amazing! Is that a tiny Trident in the second to last pic? Or is it a Parrots beak? It has tiny leaves!

Regards, Morten

To me it seems to be a premna japonica Smile

Nice pictures and a place to be at cheers

Torbjörn

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:40 am

Bob Bailey wrote:Hi Morten
..... Have you any photo,s of the pots you bought? love to see them
Thanks again
Bob

The recent pots I acquired from Japan below that is worth mentioning. The first one I purchased before I did go to Japan, and is from Tomohiro Masumi at the nursery of Koju-en.
Made by Takao-Koyo. This is a very colourful pot which is the fashion today in Shohin circles in Japan. I place all pots outside during from spring to fall, so they are added the patina from air, rain and sun. This fades the strong colours some too.

Japan 2011 - mame-bonsai and shohin Alb_6910

Next is a pot by Sakura. A beautiful pot I look forward to use later on.

Japan 2011 - mame-bonsai and shohin Dsc08710

Then I found this non-expensive but very nice pot at Mansei-en. Not expensive at all, but a very good pot.

Japan 2011 - mame-bonsai and shohin Alb_8210

Finally there is this a small Mame-stand. I could not resist this one. I must speed up growing more mame to put in there Very Happy
It measures 25 X 20 X 7,5 cm.

Japan 2011 - mame-bonsai and shohin Alb_8211

Japan 2011 - mame-bonsai and shohin Alb_8212

Regards
Morten

Back to top Go down

Post  Jose Acuña Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:42 am

Torbjörn wrote:
morten albek wrote:

Regards, Morten

In Japanese Nioi Kaede.

Thank you very for the pictures Morten.
Have a nice travel Wink
Regards
Jose Acuña
Jose Acuña
Jose Acuña

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:59 pm

Jose Acuña wrote:
Torbjörn wrote:
morten albek wrote:

Regards, Morten

In Japanese Nioi Kaede.

Thank you very for the pictures Morten.
Have a nice travel Wink
Regards
Jose Acuña

Ryan, here that's what we call "musk maple". And it is Premna, not an Acer. Stinky little plant. What the heck is a "parrots beak"????

R
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down