Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Japan 2011 - Koju-en - Tomohiro Masumi

+5
cosmos
Rudi_G
Rob Kempinski
pitu
AK_Panama
9 posters

Go down

Japan 2011 - Koju-en - Tomohiro Masumi Empty Japan 2011 - Koju-en - Tomohiro Masumi

Post  Guest Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:10 pm

One of many tasks a this trip to Japan, was a revisit to Koju-en, run by Tomohiro Masumi. It was very pleasant to see him again, after he was here in Denmark just a month ago. Tomohiro runs this specialized nursery who deals with shohin only. It is a high quality nursery that aims a customers who wants to exhibit shohin-bonsai. Many fine bonsai and a huge selection of valuable and antique pots are available too. The space is narrow but a friendly atmosphere. Also the father of Tomohiro, Hiroichi (who started the nursery) were at the nursery when we visited the place. Lots of great knowledge gained at this visit, and some will be forwarded in an issue of Bonsai Focus later.

Regards
Morten Albek

Japan 2011 - Koju-en - Tomohiro Masumi Alb_7510
Tomohiro Masumi

Japan 2011 - Koju-en - Tomohiro Masumi Alb_7511
Hiroichi Masumi

Japan 2011 - Koju-en - Tomohiro Masumi Alb_7512

Japan 2011 - Koju-en - Tomohiro Masumi Alb_7513

Japan 2011 - Koju-en - Tomohiro Masumi Alb_7514

Japan 2011 - Koju-en - Tomohiro Masumi Alb_7515

Japan 2011 - Koju-en - Tomohiro Masumi Alb_7516
Johnny Eslykke

Japan 2011 - Koju-en - Tomohiro Masumi Alb_7517

Japan 2011 - Koju-en - Tomohiro Masumi Alb_7518

Japan 2011 - Koju-en - Tomohiro Masumi Alb_7519

Japan 2011 - Koju-en - Tomohiro Masumi Alb_7520

Japan 2011 - Koju-en - Tomohiro Masumi Alb_7521

Japan 2011 - Koju-en - Tomohiro Masumi Alb_7522

Japan 2011 - Koju-en - Tomohiro Masumi Alb_7610

... more pictures at www.shohin-europe.com ...

Back to top Go down

Japan 2011 - Koju-en - Tomohiro Masumi Empty Re: Japan 2011 - Koju-en - Tomohiro Masumi

Post  AK_Panama Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:13 pm

Outstanding!

Love those pots! I´ve been looking for a yellow one!
AK_Panama
AK_Panama

Back to top Go down

Japan 2011 - Koju-en - Tomohiro Masumi Empty Re: Japan 2011 - Koju-en - Tomohiro Masumi

Post  pitu Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:57 pm

Thanks a lot for the pictures, Morten. I guess I´ll take a lot at more in shohin-europe. Greetings from El Salvador Smile .

pitu

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Kempinski Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:01 pm

morten albek wrote:One of many tasks a this trip to Japan, was a revisit to Koju-en, run by Tomohiro Masumi. It was very pleasant to see him again, after he was here in Denmark just a month ago. Tomohiro runs this specialized nursery who deals with shohin only. It is a high quality nursery that aims a customers who wants to exhibit shohin-bonsai. Many fine bonsai and a huge selection of valuable and antique pots are available too. The space is narrow but a friendly atmosphere. Also the father of Tomohiro, Hiroichi (who started the nursery) were at the nursery when we visited the place. Lots of great knowledge gained at this visit, and some will be forwarded in an issue of Bonsai Focus later.

Regards
Morten Albek

Japan 2011 - Koju-en - Tomohiro Masumi Alb_7610

Thanks for posting your potos Morten. Looks like a great trip.

That last tree sure looks like a Ficus Microcarpa. Nice small leaves too! The small blue pot is great with it.

Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Post  Rudi_G Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:19 am

Top Quality. Thanks for sharing the photos.

Rudi_G

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:21 am

Hi Rob

The tree is a Gardenia with small leaves and flowers suited for shohin. It is not winter hardy for cold climates.

Regards
Morten

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:12 pm

Hi Morten, you are so lucky to get to visit these guys... can I come with you next time bounce

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Kempinski Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:02 pm

morten albek wrote:Hi Rob

The tree is a Gardenia with small leaves and flowers suited for shohin. It is not winter hardy for cold climates.

Regards
Morten

Thanks for the info- still a sweet little tree.

I saw a couple of Ficus trees on my last visit to Japan but no shohin though.
Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:46 pm

tony wrote:Hi Morten, you are so lucky to get to visit these guys... can I come with you next time bounce

Next time will be a little far away I am afraid. And next time will not be in the heat of the humid summer. It is far too hot, but it was the only possible time this year. I hope to take one of the big exhibition as the next one. Gafu-ten is in the top of the list Very Happy

Regards
Morten

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Kempinski Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:54 pm

morten albek wrote:
tony wrote:Hi Morten, you are so lucky to get to visit these guys... can I come with you next time bounce

Next time will be a little far away I am afraid. And next time will not be in the heat of the humid summer. It is far too hot, but it was the only possible time this year. I hope to take one of the big exhibition as the next one. Gafu-ten is in the top of the list Very Happy

Regards
Morten

This November with ASPAC one weekend and the next weekend Taikanten would be a good time to visit Japan. ASPAC may be one of the largest displays of Japanese bonsai ever. I heard as many as 1,000 trees on display.

BCI is taking a tour if you are interested.
Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Post  cosmos Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:39 pm

Nice images that you will carry with you always for sure.

Cosmos
cosmos
cosmos

Back to top Go down

Post  hiram Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:51 am

Thank you Morten for sharing this extraordinary trip with us. I would love to see such a nursery here in the U.S. specializing in Shohin. WOW, amazing pots, so under studied here in our neck of the woods. I have become a student of learning pots and enjoying their beauty. They are just as beautiful to observe as a bonsai. Thank you again. Shocked
hiram
hiram

Back to top Go down

Post  kauaibonsai Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:00 am

thanks for the wonderful posts morten:

the quality of japanese bonsai is exceptional - the bar is so high there. for rob: I've seen amazing shohin ficus pumila in japan-not microcarpa, though. the japanese gardenia loves hawaii and thrives here. see you in takamatsu in november.

best wishes, sam

kauaibonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  dorothy7774 Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:16 am

Morten,

thank you for all the wonderful pictures from your trip, awesome trees! Some of the nurseries look like gardens, very lovely details carefully arranged.

-dorothy
dorothy7774
dorothy7774

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:08 am

dorothy7774 wrote:Morten,

thank you for all the wonderful pictures from your trip, awesome trees! Some of the nurseries look like gardens, very lovely details carefully arranged.

-dorothy

Especially those places I like, that arranges the surroundings very beautiful. But at some nurseries the space is simply not available. Especially the Satsuki-en nursery has a very nice atmosphere I think.

Regards
Morten

Japan 2011 - Koju-en - Tomohiro Masumi Alb_7951

Japan 2011 - Koju-en - Tomohiro Masumi Alb_7950

Back to top Go down

Japan 2011 - Koju-en - Tomohiro Masumi Empty Japan 2011 - Koju-en - Tomohiro Masumi

Post  Lazaro Quintino Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:20 pm

Thanks for the photos Morten. Not only are the bonsai that you photograph works of art but so are your photos. I hope to one day travel to Japan and see these trees for myself. Thanks again
Lazaro Quintino
Lazaro Quintino

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down